• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Random Cool Photo Thread

flyincowboy

cleaning spare parts
cleaning spare.jpg

Lorenzo_l

Spot on mate, it was the cover photo for the April 16 1965 issue of Life Couchy.

01_cover1.jpg
This picture in particular and a few from that photo essay are vividly etched in my memory since my childhood. My dad used to have a LIFE magazine subscription and I remember coming across the above-pictured issue. I must have been 6-7 years old at the time. Such vivid, crude pictures deeply impressed me. I remember well the cover picture, but also this one, of the gunner in the cover picture, after landing:

24_12237041.jpg

The entire photo essay by Larry Burrows, titled "One ride with Yanke Papa 13", is here:
Well worth a read/look.

From the text in the photo essay: "Six years after “Yankee Papa 13” ran in LIFE, Burrows was killed, along with three other journalists Henri Huet, Kent Potter and Keisaburo Shimamoto when a helicopter in which they were flying was shot down over Laos in February, 1971. He was 44 years old."

L. Burrows took outstanding images of the conflict, many of which have come to symbolise the Vietnam War:

You may recognise a few.

Last edited:

Smithy

This picture in particular and a few from that photo essay are vividly etched in my memory since my childhood. My dad used to have a LIFE magazine subscription and I remember coming across the above-pictured issue. I must have been 6-7 years old at the time. Such vivid, crude pictures deeply impressed me. I remember well the cover picture, but also this one, of the gunner in the cover picture, after landing:

View attachment 88747

The entire photo essay by Larry Burrows, titled "One ride with Yanke Papa 13", is here:
Well worth a read/look.

From the text in the photo essay: "Six years after “Yankee Papa 13” ran in LIFE, Burrows was killed, along with three other journalists Henri Huet, Kent Potter and Keisaburo Shimamoto when a helicopter in which they were flying was shot down over Laos in February, 1971. He was 44 years old."

L. Burrows took outstanding images of the conflict, many of which have come to symbolise the Vietnam War:

You may recognise a few.

The entire article is really wrenching, even now. Back in the 60s it was revolutionary.

Very affecting journalism.

Micawber

Warrant Officer Antoni Markiewicz of No. 302 Polish Fighter Squadron and his bride Yvonne Munday inspecting what was left of their wedding presents after the wedding reception house was bombed while they were getting married at a church somewhere in Southern England, 29 July 1944.

Warrant Officer Antoni Markiewicz of No. 302 Polish Fighter Squadron and his bride Yvonne Mund...jpg

ZuZu

View attachment 88747

Well worth a read/look.

You may recognise a few.

There won't be a war covered in mass media like Vietnam ever again, The military and the powers that be found out that uncontrolled access made people hate war. No more "Vietnam Syndrome" for us!
You can still find all the horror of war on the internet but you have to look for it. The Google Youtube etc. algorithms are far more controlled now in 2022 than in say 2012. The internet is being scrubbed inexorably...