• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Random Cool Photo Thread

Grant

Dear Ma, why didn't I join the Army Air Corp so I could wear those cool leather jackets!

a2.jpg

Flightengineer

Despite the fact that the guy clearly poses in front of the camera, depicting a gentle look when composing a letter, everything is fine in this photo. Dirt on the boots, on the pants of the overalls, the extinguished cigarette butt right on the floor by the foot. A lot of small details, including pictures with pin-up girls on the lid ... A very live photo.

ausreenactor

Couchy
After he died it is alleged that his son had his head surgically separated from his body and cryogenically frozen to preserve it for a later time, in hopes that he could be brought back to life .
It is a thing. Not sure I would commit to the ongoing fees for storage... Certainly 'out there'.

B-Man2

It is a thing. Not sure I would commit to the ongoing fees for storage... Certainly 'out there'.
Yeah ….. He was such a icon of a figure in the sports world .. it’s just sad to hear something like that . If you don’t mind I’ll share a quick story about Ted Williams with you .
I was living in the Florida Keys in 1983 and had stopped at a small mom and pop gas station with 3 pumps to fill up my car . It was at Islamorada an island in the Florida Keys chain of islands . As I was filling my tank and old beat to piss station wagon pulled up behind me and the guy got out to fill his tank . He was a big guy so I happened to look at him and holy shit ….. it’s Ted Williams !! I had heard that he was a big sport fisherman and that he had a place in the keys and to my surprise there he was . Well like any kid who had grown up watching baseball and collecting baseball cards ,I was awe struck . I’m staring at him and he’s looking at me , and I can’t think of a thing to say ! I mean .. this is Ted Williams … what the hell can I say that he hasn’t heard before ?? … “Hey Ted … I’m a big fan?” I stumbled around filling my tank until the last second watching him until he filled his tank and got back into that old beat up piece of shit station wagon and started it up . My chance to talk to him had slipped away and he was pulling around my car to leave. And then at the last second he pulled up beside me and through his passenger window he looked right into my eyes and said “Thank you !!”
I replied for what sir . He replied “every place I go I’ve got people shouting at me and bothering me for autographs and when I’m down here I just like to relax and not have to deal with all that stuff . You had the courtesy and class not to bother me and to respect my privacy ….and for that … Thank you “ And with that he drove off . So what ended up as a failed attempt to talk to Ted Williams .. turn out to be the best thing I could have done … which was to just leave him alone . That was one of my best memories of the 5 minutes that I stood 20 feet from Ted Williams :)

Flightengineer

This is onboard art on Soviet MiG-23 aircraft based in Bagram and Shindand during the Afghan war in the 1980s. I accidentally found these photos, not taken by me, but I saw a couple of these painted planes when I served there.

The inscription in Russian "Bagram 1988-89"

The inscription "Hero of Shindand"

Combat instructor plane

All photos were taken 20-25 years after the end of the war in 2000-2005, at one of the storage/utilization bases after the decommissioning of these aircraft.

All these birds were scrapped.