• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Ramones" Jacket !!

coanda

I am not sure if this really qualifies as vintage, or whether it deserves to be posted at all, but it may amuse somebody!!

Here are a couple of pictures of a jacket. I was given (/ scrounged / blagged, or possibly even nicked............) at a sound check at the Hammersmith Palais way back in October 1981, from Arturo Vega the Ramones artistic/Lighting director...
( It was I should confirm taken with consent although possibly under duress.... Certainly not resented, as for may years I conversed and occasionally met up with AV)

As can been seen the jacket lived a fairly hard life, and to be honest I hadn't thought anything of it until one of my kids following the recent death of Tommy R said "didn't you have a jacket from the Ramones once?"
So after 10 days of digging about here it is!! Along with a ticket from the gig, I also got copy of their first picture sleeve single.... Blitzkrieg Bop signed at the same time. There was also a tee shirt, that has long since disintegrated!!

The American eagle was on the jacket when I acquired it! The other small pin back is a band I used to play in the same time, oh for the musical ability I lacked...
Anyway I thought I would put some pictures up out of curiosity... One very beat up jacket!!
Regards to all
Rick

P1120916.jpg

P1120917.jpg

P1120918.jpg

P1120919.jpg

P1120920.jpg

dmar836

Cool! I have a Perfecto of the same "Bull" era. Not the same history though. What year was that concert?
Dave

havocpaul

Great story and cool jacket to have :) I never managed to blag anyone's jacket although I certainly tried during my music years! Did borrow a few but sadly my rock'n'roll credentials were let down somewhat when my black biker jacket was lent to George Michael for a Top of the Pops performance of "Wham Rap" :oops: !!

MikeyB-17

Way cool! I have a Perfecto of the slightly later 'motorcycle' label era (not as highly rated as the 'Bull' label jackets), but still one of my favourite jackets, beat to Hell but still looking great and worn more than any of my military ones. With that story, that's a fantastic thing to have.

Peter Graham

Wow, a true piece of Ramones history. Great story Rick. The Ramones will always be special to me. Here's a pic of myself and Johnny backstage at the Lyceum. This was the third night in a row I'd been to see them there and Johnny put me on the guest list for the fourth night.

dmar836

Rick, can you check the inside, back, lower panel below the lining? Mine is actually vinyl there. This surprised me but it appears original and may have been a cost cutting measure Schott used.
Dave

Peter Graham

dmar836 said:
Rick, can you check the inside, back, lower panel below the lining? Mine is actually vinyl there. This surprised me but it appears original and may have been a cost cutting measure Schott used.
Dave
Mine was too.

havocpaul

Vintage Mascot jackets had the vinyl behind the collar and lower back which I believe was to add some waterproofing for riders, the vinyl is covering the leather panels.

ausreenactor

What is the insignia on the collar? I have one about the same size. Too small for even a WAC visor badge.... Has me puzzled. It was sold as a WW1 Visor Eagle; however, it is half the size of my copper M1912 Visor Eagle... If anyone is doing a repro up of this jacket let me know!! :)

Couchy

coanda

Gents, I have checked and while I may well be looking in the wrong place I can't find any vinyl, certainly the back of the collar is steer as with the rest of the jacket..
Couchy, I have no idea of the origin of the American eagle, it was on the jacket it when I acquired it! Here however are a couple of pictures with scale, I hope this helps, certainly looks to be fairly old in that the brass looks to be of a better quality than is currently used!
Cheers
Rick

P1120945.jpg

P1120947.jpg

bretron

So you're telling me this is an authentic "Ramones" perfecto that you got during a tour back in 81?? How freakin cool is that!!!

This is as iconic as jackets get, period.

unclegrumpy

The eagle is a WW II era US Army Enlisted mans visor cap eagle. There are lots of minor manufacturing differences in these...mostly in the details of the eagle. The eagle and disc separate on most versions, as they do on both in the one on the jacket and the example pictured below.

These typically sell for about $10, but finding an exact match to the one on the Ramones jacket might take a bit of searching.

armyemvisorbdgwwiiobv.jpg

armyemvisorbdgwwiirev.jpg

Nickb123

Peter Graham said:
Wow, a true piece of Ramones history. Great story Rick. The Ramones will always be special to me. Here's a pic of myself and Johnny backstage at the Lyceum. This was the third night in a row I'd been to see them there and Johnny put me on the guest list for the fourth night.

Is that Johnny wearing a BROWN jacket??

coanda

Gents
Indeed 33 years ago today!!
I thought on the back of that I would dig out the copy of the first single that I had signed at the same gig.
What I would give to have that chance again!! Somehow at that time it was very nearly a routine experience for an 18 year old... We crashed a lot of sound checks! Although I guess it has left with the legacy of one of greatest bands being continually played here!! Much to the chagrin of my Simple Minds loving wife!!
I have a horrible feeling this single is probably now worth more than the proverbial couple of quid!!
Fortunately my kids appreciate fine music..... And my beer!!
Regards to all
Rick

P1030531.jpg

P1030545.jpg

lovnik

ausreenactor said:
What is the insignia on the collar? I have one about the same size. Too small for even a WAC visor badge.... Has me puzzled. It was sold as a WW1 Visor Eagle; however, it is half the size of my copper M1912 Visor Eagle... If anyone is doing a repro up of this jacket let me know!! :)

Couchy

That symbol was/is the logo of The Ramones.