• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ralph Lauren at it again

johnwayne

Just seen their new season MA1 - patched and either sage or blue and I must say looked and felt a pretty decent jacket just not at £345 and, everyone buying one would have same patches! Apparently they have a patched A2 at £1150 and a B3 (God knows how much that is!). Well at least those of us owning originals and the like will be on trend this year and a bit more individual!!

John Lever

Screenshot_20190423-204252.jpg

B-Man2

The jackets look good but let’s face it , at the prices they want your buying the name.

johnwayne

Sorry BIP, no link as I saw the MA1 in a new RL store opened near where I live here in London. I therefore got to feel it and compared to my Alpha thought it more substantial however, not so compared to my original 1960 Skyline Corps which is actually quite 'heavy' for a nylon jacket. Young sales in the shop tried to tell me how authentic it was due to 'it's orange lining' - my wife told me at that point it's was time to go!!

Persimmon

Sorry BIP, no link as I saw the MA1 in a new RL store opened near where I live here in London. I therefore got to feel it and compared to my Alpha thought it more substantial however, not so compared to my original 1960 Skyline Corps which is actually quite 'heavy' for a nylon jacket. Young sales in the shop tried to tell me how authentic it was due to 'it's orange lining' - my wife told me at that point it's was time to go!!

Ah but has the orange lining got the genuine USAF Ralph Lauren label on it ?

johnwayne

I do find it amusing, if that's the right word, that here on this forum many if not nearly all are bemoaning the cost of the high end repros with much talk about the new Asian budget imitation repros (personally nothing I've seen yet convinces me they are otherwise - not wishing to start a debate though!) yet add a 'designer' name and bang, massive mark up and profit to a price that's up there with an ELC or GW, making them not so extortionate after all!! And, the irony is, these RL jackets are probably Asian made too, albeit more faithful repro's IMHO even though more'house' style, than those I've seen here and so they should be!!! A different target audience too of course,

Last edited:

MikeyB-17

RL jackets have often appeared in my local TK Maxx, and decent jackets too-there was an MA-1 a while back with a Stars and Stripes arm patch, (colour a bit off), and a field jacket of a type I wasn’t familiar with, but if they’d had my size I would have bought one. Not silly money, £50-60. Wouldn’t pay the daft prices they charge in other outlets, but if you can get ‘em cheap, why not?
Good point JW makes about the ludicrous prices of ‘designer’ stuff, usually of no particular quality, compared with the likes of ELC, which you can’t argue aren’t well made.