• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RAF Jacket Cold Weather Mark3

a2 fng

Just picked up and RAF JACKET COLD WEATHER MARK 3 and to be honest have no idea at all as to when/what period its from and what sort of use it would have got?

Also to me it has a few weird features :eek: :eek:

Collar has a velcro opening for what looks like a hood but no hood there,under this a another zipped opening that gives acces to the inside of the jkt-what is this for-some sort of liner maybe??

Lastly there is inside the jacket a sort of crutch flap similar to what brit para smocks have-again any ideas?

Thanks

DSCF6344.jpg

DSCF6341.jpg

DSCF6342.jpg

DSCF6343.jpg

dujardin

hello,

alas no idea.
but another reflexion is that this england made jacket (see the arrow ) have the data of the label in centimeters and degrees celcius. ?????????????
maybe produce for use by a foreign army.
strange.
really curious to know his origin.
hope someone can help you.

byeeeeeeee marcel

a2 fng

Wouldnt have thought its foreing but definately RAF.

Couldnt find much on the net but some are being sold as current.

I know the British military sizing system changed from the WW2 type numbered 1,2,3,4,5 etc to the Nato method in the late 70s i believe.

FtrPlt

British Army helicopter pilots were wearing this style jacket in the 1980s. Whether fast jet aircrew wore them, I don't know.

Apprently still on issue in updated form? Found this site showing new and improved innards:
http://www.mart-aviation.co.uk/RAF%20Jacket.htm

From the above link: "These NEW current RAF aircrew issue MK.3 Jackets are manufactured from shower proof gabardine lined with ventile fabric and interlined with insulating nylon mesh fabric. (see photo on left) The design of the jacket is such that whilst providing a high degree of warmth it is not restrictive and thus cannot impede freedom of movement. Closure of the jacket is by means of a full-length zip fastener which when closed is covered by a button over storm flap. A large collar fitted with a closure tab provides warmth and reduces heat loss from the neck aperture, a zip fastening compartment on the back of the collar contains the drawcord fastening hood. The wrists have velcro fastening adjusters and a waist drawstring further improves the flight jackets heat retention properties. An adjustable crotch strap is designed to provide additional protection for the lumber and seat areas in a survival situation, other features include 2 large zip fastening breast pockets, sleeve pen pocket and a front affixed D-Ring for the attachment of an oxy-mask or other ancillary equipment. "

a2 fng

FtrPlt said:
British Army helicopter pilots were wearing this style jacket in the 1980s. Whether fast jet aircrew wore them, I don't know.

Apprently still on issue in updated form? Found this site showing new and improved innards:
http://www.mart-aviation.co.uk/RAF%20Jacket.htm

From the above link: "These NEW current RAF aircrew issue MK.3 Jackets are manufactured from shower proof gabardine lined with ventile fabric and interlined with insulating nylon mesh fabric. (see photo on left) The design of the jacket is such that whilst providing a high degree of warmth it is not restrictive and thus cannot impede freedom of movement. Closure of the jacket is by means of a full-length zip fastener which when closed is covered by a button over storm flap. A large collar fitted with a closure tab provides warmth and reduces heat loss from the neck aperture, a zip fastening compartment on the back of the collar contains the drawcord fastening hood. The wrists have velcro fastening adjusters and a waist drawstring further improves the flight jackets heat retention properties. An adjustable crotch strap is designed to provide additional protection for the lumber and seat areas in a survival situation, other features include 2 large zip fastening breast pockets, sleeve pen pocket and a front affixed D-Ring for the attachment of an oxy-mask or other ancillary equipment. "

Thanks,i bought for an 82 Falklands AAC look so it will fit in nicely ;) ;)

Pugsley

I've got one of these. As far as I know they're still in use, although small details (such as color) have changed over the years.
In Thunderball (1965) the aircrew of the Avro Vulcan are wearing them. Also, in the original Alien (1979), Mk IIIs are the base for the Nostromo flight jackets.