• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

R.M. Williams Boot questions

helodrvr

I have admired R.M. Williams boots for several years. I wear a US 10 Medium on a standard Brannock Device. My feet tend to be just a bit wide but nothing exceptional. In most U.S. shoes, a 10 M is fine. Last year, I ordered a pair of Kangaroo Comfort Turnout Boot Chestnut (9G). The 9G was far too narrow. I loved the leather and construction but could not wear the boots.

After consulting with the seller, I ordered a pair of Kangaroo Comfort Turnout Boot Black (9H). These were better but the toe box still felt as if it was too small. Even with stretching the boots a bit, I find these to be too restrictive to wear. I still feel as if my toes are hitting the edges and sometimes the top of the toe box. The original seller has suggested a different style boot, called "Tambo" which has a chisel shaped toe instea of the rounded toe of the Turnout. While I would love to have a wearable pair of R.M. Willams boots, I am really reluctant to import yet another pair of ill-fitting boots. Any suggestions? Any good sellers?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
helodrvr said:
I have admired R.M. Williams boots for several years. I wear a US 10 Medium on a standard Brannock Device.

Mel, I think the problem is that many sellers (and RM Williams themselves) believe that there's a full size difference between UK, and US sizes ... I find that it's more like a half size.

I wear the same US shoe size 10 as you, and find that RM Williams in any of the dress boots, fit me best in a 9.5G.

pipvh

My tuppence worth: R M Williams dress styles are significantly tighter than their work boots - must be the lasts they use. If you need a dress boot I'd definitely go wider than normal and if it was me, I'd go up a half-size.

Incidentally my experience with US/UK sizes is the same as Tim's: I'm a UK 10 and a US 11 (sometimes an 11.5 - go figure).

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
pipvh said:
My tuppence worth: R M Williams dress styles are significantly tighter than their work boots - must be the lasts they use.

Yes, it also applies to their casual/chukka boot styles ... I can size down.

Here's a conversion chart that works for me ...

markc

pipvh said:
My tuppence worth: R M Williams dress styles are significantly tighter than their work boots - must be the lasts they use. If you need a dress boot I'd definitely go wider than normal and if it was me, I'd go up a half-size.

Not sure I'd agree - I have a pair each of craftsman (dress) and yard boots (work) that are both 9G and fit me perfectly. If anything, the yard boots are slightly tighter.

My feet, as measured by the very nice gentlemen in Church Shoes on Regent Street, are 8.5 G (and that is, in fact, what my Church's are). However, with my RM Williams boots I tend to wear thicker socks - thus, size 9 is perfect.

No idea about US sizes though - sorry.

BTW - H width fitting - crikey - can you walk on water?

Cheers,

helodrvr

No walking on water here, though the seller did point me toward their Tambo model, saying in a polite email, "This is a seriously W I D E boot." When I went to his site to investigate, I found the following description, "Nobody is hard too hard to fit now that RM Williams has launched the Tambo boot. This last was developed for customers in New Guinea & Northern Qld who had never worn shoes and had feet as wide as a platypus. The last is based on the Craftsman style."

I have never seen a platypus in person, or at least never a live one. But I had never thought of my feet as being particularly wide until I started this process. Since then, I have also struggled with European bicycling shoe sizes. It seems that Americans have slightly wider feet in general. But I can assure you, the increase in width does not provide an increase in surface area sufficient to walk on water. I sink with disapointing regularity!