• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quick Fix For High Point Wear On Your Jackets .

B-Man2

Hi guys ! :)
This information may be of interest to some of you, while others may not see the point .
I realize that many of us strive, in fact we work at getting our jackets to look old and worn . It gives our jackets life, a history , it makes them look authentic. However, there are a few of us ( and you know who you are:rolleyes:) who cringe every time their new jacket gets a nick or a scrape. For those of you in this category I’d like to pass on a little trick you may or may not be aware of, which is how to clean up high point abrasions on the edges and seams of your jackets .
First off purchase a set of three furniture scratch repair markers from the Internet or your local furniture repair shop. They are easy to find and come in three shades of brown , from light to dark brown. Strangely enough they come very close to matching the russett and seal colors of A2 jackets.
E207CA54-2A5B-421F-9597-F2770424199D.jpeg

Now take an older jacket with a lot of high point and edge wear and always begin using the lightest color of the three markers. REMEMBER: You can always go darker BUT If you go too dark at first, you cannot lighten the color back up . So it’s a one way street .
So the following are some before and after photos of touch ups on high point and edge wear areas of a jacket :

CUFFS
Before
315E1F80-A08D-4D1F-9212-E46D46AE687E.jpeg

After
921A3902-EE44-4F5A-B451-EEA49FFC5FEF.jpeg

Shoulder seams
Before
883A6E73-E722-4897-9F85-15583FFB7521.jpeg

After
304D1C96-4368-4652-8B66-3E03AD05D3A4.jpeg

Arm Seams
Before
CAF558C0-CFB4-49A3-BAFE-4CF78CDEEEAE.jpeg

After
FCF7F5EB-AA4F-4BEE-99C3-5F4B33557475.jpeg

A4620ADF-5338-41CC-B200-E15230C7D273.jpeg
So remember ALWAYS start out with the lightest colors first especially on Russett jackets and gradually darken the area to match the color of your jacket. On Russett colored jackets you may simply have to give the wear spot a couple of coats with the light colored marker to achieve the desired color match . I suggest you practice on an old jacket first before working on your $1500.00 Good Wear.
Ok guys . if you found this helpful please let me know and I’ll share some of the other tricks I’ve learned over the years with this hobby .
Cheers
EDIT: By the way I forgot to mention that the same technique can be used with a black marker on black motorcycle or other styles of black leather jackets .

Last edited:

Flightengineer

I did this on some of my G-1s of which I had a lot.
However, it seems to me that this is more suitable for goatskin, for A2 from a horsehide it is unnecessary, they age beautifully and at the end they form a patina, unlike goatskin.

Greg Gale

Yeah, I love natural wear on horsehide.

But this time it was different. I've been wearing my new BK RW for the past 3-4 weeks indoors all day. I've also been working at a wooden table with sharp edges. So the edge of the windflap in the belly area sometimes accidentally rubbed against it and therefore it developed a high point wear - while the rest of the jacket is virtually new. I know it's no big deal, but I touched some sno-seal with my fingertip, then gently rubbed the edge of the windflap in that area, and it darkened the exposed areas, and now they blend in very nicely.

I would post a picture, but it's almost not visible on photos :D

Flightengineer

Yeah, I love natural wear on horsehide.

But this time it was different. I've been wearing my new BK RW for the past 3-4 weeks indoors all day. I've also been working at a wooden table with sharp edges. So the edge of the windflap in the belly area sometimes accidentally rubbed against it and therefore it developed a high point wear - while the rest of the jacket is virtually new. I know it's no big deal, but I touched some sno-seal with my fingertip, then gently rubbed the edge of the windflap in that area, and it darkened the exposed areas, and now they blend in very nicely.

I would post a picture, but it's almost not visible on photos :D

I think summer will come and you can wear your nice BK jacket outside and everything will even out. I myself am waiting for A2 weather here with impatience.
But yes, it would be interesting to see a photo of what worries you.