• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question to B-10 experts

Greg Gale

To all of you B-10 connoisseurs out there: I know the color of B-10s varied as much as A-2s. On the other hand, on almost all original photos the mouton collar seems to be dark, almost black ,and the knits approximately the same color as the jacket:

media-26527.jpeg

Don-Gentile-r-and-his-wingman-John-Trevor-Godfrey-l-circa-1943-small.jpg

s-l300.jpg

However, when I googled photos of existing originals, the color of the mouton varies from black to almost white, and some of the knits are more contrasty than others. What is the deal? Did these collars simply fade with time? Or were B-10s produced with all kinds of collar color?

Thanks in advance!

Original-WWII-WW2-B-10-Flight-Jacket-Sz-38.jpg

nored412.jpg

nored413a.jpg

nored021a.jpg

nored014a.jpg

B-Man2

Greg
I’m not an expert in B-10 jackets however I do know that there were a wider variety of B-10 manufacturers than those making A2’s during the war years. As a result each made collars depending on availablity and access to various colors of materials availble at the time. You are correct in your thoughts that one can find a wide range of colors in the collars to include an off white color. Additionally there was a wide range of the color of the cloth that was used to make B-10’s . Several different colors of “Khaki “ can be found on original B-10 jackets.

Brettafett

I also think, as with M422As and G-1s, some of the brown mouton faded to a lighter colour over time. I wonder if the very light 'blonde', as in the pic above, is perhaps replacement?
I do prefer the knit being the same colour as the body, like ELC's version...

MeachamLake

I wonder if the very light 'blonde', as in the pic above, is perhaps replacement?
I do prefer the knit being the same colour as the body, like ELC's version...

I believe a few manufacturers substituted sheepskin shearling when they couldn't source mouton - although I think these jackets were rare.

falcon_ib

Ed Nored estimates that 5-8% of wartime produced B-10's were made with the white shearling collars due to material shortages. From original photos I see most of these in use on the Italian front, though a few here and there in the Pacific and CBI. (Can't comment on 8th or 9th Air Force as I look at very few pictures from the ETO)

1stPlt, Recon Co.,894thTDbn, Italy1945.png

Check out this awesome image of 1st Platoon, Reconnaissance Company, 894th Tank Destroyer Battalion of the 5th Army in Northern Italy, early 1945. Even in black and white, the grimy, stained condition of their jackets comes through, as well as their weathered faces. The mustached dogface on the bottom left has gotten his hands on shearling collar B-10.

I actually see a surprisingly large amount of the blonde mouton collars in jackets from 5th Air Force heavy bomb units in the Pacific. However, the dark brown color mouton seems to be the most prevalent by far overall.

Evan

stanier

The LSL Garment Co. produced at least some of their B-10 contract with blonde or undyed mouton collars. It wasn’t a field repair but left the factory like that.

I’ve got pics in some of my jacket books and there’s some pics available in various web sources.

Buzz Rickson did a very nice repro about 8 or 9 years ago of, IIRC of 400 jackets. There’s a review in here somewhere of it, in fact I think Deeb7 had one.

Greg Gale

Thank you all for the info! I've seen period pictures of off white collars, but not blonde ones. I was wondering how accurate BR's, Bronson's and the "Dong" repro was, as they all have a dark blonde collar, and more contrasty knits (let's ignore the rust knit argument, shall we? :) )

johnwayne

I'm no expert either but the pics of originals are probably as good an illustration you'll find, better than period pics like the first two! Think that's Gentile in the second pic (?) and if you consider his P51 would have been overall drab olive it shows how such timely images have not lasted well plus could easily have been poorly processed back then. As proven here numerous times and even with the technology at our disposal we often question the colour when showing our own jackets etc!! If your thinking of buying then go with your preference, like I did with my BR (inc the rust knits!!), albeit I'm not I've seen a blond collared repro.

Brettafett

As I understand, Bronson and BD are copies of repros, not WW2 jackets... I am pretty sure the BD is a copy (very good one) of a Buzz Rickson B-10 repro.
This may just be my opinion, but I recon ELC makes one of the most accurate B-10s, from the materials to the pattern... The mouton tends to vary from batch to batch (just like their M422a and G-1). Sometimes is really luxurious, fluffy and soft... and other times its... not as.
Buzz Rickson is good also. Mine was slightly thicker than my ELC, and larger for the same size. Collar was a bit bigger also.
I think John made one a while back also.
Anyway, for the price, Bob Dong and Bronson are well good enough.
Comparing those two, you have to consider Thomas' comparison, as he has both. From pics, the BD looks nicer to my eye, mouton looks better and theres no seam in the cuff.
That said, I can only compare ELC's B-10, Buzz Rickson's and Bob Dongs.

Greg Gale

Thanks! I'll take the Dong over the Bronson due to lengths and a slightly darker collar (judging by pics). I can certainly not justify buying an ELC even though they look perfect, it's either the Dong or nothing for me. I prefer the collar of Dima's B15, but overall I would like a B10, not a B15.

stanier

Thanks! I'll take the Dong over the Bronson due to lengths and a slightly darker collar (judging by pics). I can certainly not justify buying an ELC even though they look perfect, it's either the Dong or nothing for me. I prefer the collar of Dima's B15, but overall I would like a B10, not a B15.

Bob Dong is going to have to do something about that name! It’s impossible to read these threads without cracking up! And I’m in the train home right now!

Apologies Greg, but your post is particularly Anglo-Saxon Carry On ‘esque!

“I’ll take the Dong over the Bronson due to lengths” and “it’s either a Dong or nothing for me”, Kenneth Williams lives!

:Do_O:Do_O

Carl

Would love a BLOND collared original B10 !!
Was it the same material as the blond hooded B11's ???

Carl

Bob Dong is going to have to do something about that name! It’s impossible to read these threads without cracking up! And I’m in the train home right now!

Apologies Greg, but your post is particularly Anglo-Saxon Carry On ‘esque!

“I’ll take the Dong over the Bronson due to lengths” and “it’s either a Dong or nothing for me”, Kenneth Williams lives!

:Do_O:Do_O
Pmsl !!!! Ohhhh Matron !!!

ausreenactor

I sold him that one.. They pop up now and again, mostly in sizes below 40. You are spot on with the 400 run. They did another LSL run not too long ago.

Tommy

From what I know of the European or Japanese Made B-10 Repros.

Real McCoys and Eastman make a Roughwear B-10. Last time RM had a B-10 it was £795 and didn't have such a nice collar as the Eastman, which seems to be more accurate overall and is £100 cheaper. However I'm sure I've seen a B-10 with a white collar in the RM Covent Garden shop window.

Only Buzz Rickson's superior togs seems to be available right now at £499 and that has a great looking collar, but is it a Blonde you desire? Plus maybe its best not to even go back into the Berry Knits discussion. I'm worried about bringing on palpitations for some of our gang.

Aero make a good B-10, certainly compared to the Pike Brothers, but its their own creation. £325 and you can choose your fittings- collar, Knits, buttons, alpaca, you can even change the zipper. Cloth is lighter than pictures give the appearance of, but very few jackets seem to of existed in as darker colour.