• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question: Original unissued A-2 jacket, anybody seen one?

Tom Bowers

I've been a military collector for 40 years specializing in WWII GI items.

In that time I've either owned or seen nearly everything issued to WWII GIs in unissued condition, that is except for an A-2.

Friends I knew had both B-15s and B-10s still in new condition, and for a while B-3s in unissued condition weren't that hard to find. But I've never seen an original unissued A-2

Does anybody either own or have photos of an original A-2 possibly still in it's issue packaging?

Just curious
Thanks
Tom Bowers

B-Man2

I've been a military collector for 40 years specializing in WWII GI items.

In that time I've either owned or seen nearly everything issued to WWII GIs in unissued condition, that is except for an A-2.

Friends I knew had both B-15s and B-10s still in new condition, and for a while B-3s in unissued condition weren't that hard to find. But I've never seen an original unissued A-2

Does anybody either own or have photos of an original A-2 possibly still in it's issue packaging?

Just curious
Thanks
Tom Bowers
Tom
When I was a kid growing up in Philadelphia Pa back around 1957-1958 time frame , there was an original army navy surplus store by the name of I.Goldberg and Sons at 4 th and Market St. The place was like a Macy’s for military surplus. They had just about every type of uniform web gear clothing and flight jacket issued during the war to include used A2 jackets and B-3s and B-6s and in each section for a premium you could buy that jacket in unissued condition. I remember seeing them but at 11 years old not very interested in owning one. I’m sure we all have those stories but to answer your question that was the only time I saw one and it was on a rack not in original box or wrap.

Smithy

An unissued A-2 in its original box is probably the Holy Grail for most here. I've never seen one but then US flying kit isn't my main focus.

You never know though, in a long forgotten government owned warehouse or storage building there could just be a few lying in their boxes covered in dust and waiting to be discovered. Likely? Maybe not but you probably can't entirely rule it out.

If you found a real boxed one you could probably pretty much write your own cheque for what you wanted to sell it for.

Tom Bowers

Tom
When I was a kid growing up in Philadelphia Pa back around 1957-1958 time frame , there was an original army navy surplus store by the name of I.Goldberg and Sons at 4 th and Market St. The place was like a Macy’s for military surplus. They had just about every type of uniform web gear clothing and flight jacket issued during the war to include used A2 jackets and B-3s and B-6s and in each section for a premium you could buy that jacket in unissued condition. I remember seeing them but at 11 years old not very interested in owning one. I’m sure we all have those stories but to answer your question that was the only time I saw one and it was on a rack not in original box or wrap.
I also remember I Goldberg and in fact I went to their original store on Market street about a week or two before they closed it. Found a box of bayonet scabbards and picked about 5 WWII M-8 scabbards for 3 dollars each.
Those were the days!

B-Man2

I also remember I Goldberg and in fact I went to their original store on Market street about a week or two before they closed it. Found a box of bayonet scabbards and picked about 5 WWII M-8 scabbards for 3 dollars each.
Those were the days!
Hah!!
Unbelievable!
Do you remember the racks of flight jackets they used to have against the left wall when you went into the place. And the catalogue which was all artist depictions . I can’t believe it what a small world!

Tom Bowers

Hah!!
Unbelievable!
Do you remember the racks of flight jackets they used to have against the left wall when you went into the place. And the catalogue which was all artist depictions . I can’t believe it what a small world!
I grew up in the Allentown PA area so my trips to Philly were limited, I only got to go to I goldberg the once, although I was also in a few of their suburban stores in Delaware and in Bucks County which were really disappointing
I do have one of their catalogs from the 1960s and the surplus in there is fantastic.
I worked for a while in a traditional Army Navy Store (the great war store) in Allentown which is where I bought my first flight jackets
Tom Bowers

B-Man2

Once again a small world Tom
On special occasions my dad would drive us up to Allentown to go to what was known back in those days as a Smogasborg at the Ameri-cas (spelling?) Hotel . My son went to Lafayette College not far from there. But you were right about Goldbergs I remember barrels full of bayonets and war surplus gear you couldn’t find anywhere be they had it there. Sorry for messing up the thread back to the question:)

Juanito

The only one that I have heard about that was NOS and still in the box was at the Great Western show in California around 1989-1991. It was either Charles DiSipio or the late Paul Vanderpool, a collector here in Oregon who told me about it. I would believe Chas; Mr Vanderpool on the other hand, I would believe with a healthy skeptcism.

DJS48

I grew up in Camden, NJ and there was an army and navy store there called Johnson's Fair. Brothers and I bought steel pots for 9 cents, K and C rations and other small items. I do remember seeing B-3's, sheep skin pants, boots and etc. I do not remember A-2's although that doesn't mean they were not in the store. It was so cool. The time frame was mid 50's as well. I do remember Goldbergs in Philly too.
Regards,
Don

saucerfiend

I had an Aero 21996 with it's size tags removed, indicating it was for sale to the public. It was as close to new and unissued that you will find. I sold it to Andrew Swatland. He often reviewed and showed pics of it here on VLJ. It was a size 46 and a beautiful example with red undertones that were there without use and berry knits. Classic!

Brian