• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question: Nos in Deck Jkt

Geeboo

nos.jpg
There are usually numbers printed at the back of USN deck jacket like N1 or Deck Zip or shawl collar denim jkt.
Somestimes it is the name of the ship - that I understand like AM405 shown below.
How about just a mere number like 24, 4, 46 ,58, etc, as shown; what does it mean ?

Skyhawk

That is the jacket number issued to the division or squadron. When they get a new lot in, they stencil the back to keep track of the jacket. They still do this today in the USN.

Geeboo

Did the crew member has to return the jacket to the ship when he was transferred to another ship ? or he just took the jkt under his pocket.

Thomas Koehle

as far as my knowledge is the jackets haven`t been issued to individuals but to ships/vessels

do not know whether there have been "pools" existing where everybody could pick a jacket according to his needs and return it after duty or whether they really have been issued to individual persons????

Cobblers161

I have one A-2 with three names written on the front, 2 crudely crossed out so it would fit with the idea of a jacket pool.

There are several stencils on the back, faded but you can still make them out. I'll photograph it and post up.

Skyhawk

as far as my knowledge is the jackets haven`t been issued to individuals but to ships/vessels

do not know whether there have been "pools" existing where everybody could pick a jacket according to his needs and return it after duty or whether they really have been issued to individual persons????

In my shop aboard USS Midway & USS Independence, we had some gear that was issued to us for the time we were assigned to the squadron. Things like our flight deck helmets and "Float Coat" vests we wore. They were turned in when we transferred out.

Then there were the deck jackets we wore that we all shared. They were stenciled with our squadron name on the back and stayed on the coat rack in the shop until someone needed one. We had a heavy cotton type for the cold, and a waterproof version for foul weather.

We could also procure our own jackets for use. I bought a N3B parka off a squadron mate for $10 when he transferred out. I was happy to have it as we operated in the Sea of Japan and The North Korean Sea in the winter. I in turn sold it to another squadron mate when I transferred out for $10.

Regards,
Jay