• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question..... How can this be fixed or slowed down?

B-Man2

Does anyone know how to slow this progression down or stop it from continued fraying and further damage. The male end is beginning to separate from the tape.
Thanks for your responses.
BBE0BCA6-46B6-48D2-9DC8-B964F8306A79.jpeg

B-Man2

Ok you!
I expected a little more than those words of wisdom from my buddy here;);)

BTW... Happy Turkey Day!

(Just foolin with ya)

Last edited:

Edward

also make sure your seat belt isn't riding up under your patch pocket flap... ask me how I know! :D

the seat belt will act like a little saw and slowly cut at the threads holding the pocket flap. I used some leather repair glue to hold it down as only 2 thread stitches broke loose. so far so good.

B-Man2

also make sure your seat belt isn't riding up under your patch pocket flap... ask me how I know! :D

the seat belt will act like a little saw and slowly cut at the threads holding the pocket flap. I used some leather repair glue to hold it down as only 2 thread stitches broke loose. so far so good.
Ok that’s good info but I’m not there yet..... still working on destroying my zippero_O

Pilot

Agree with Technonut2112 and Edward...stabilising it with glue or silicone, but “smoothing it out” whilst drying.
Ultimatly changing the zipper at least this side...( )
Looks like a G-1 Conmar, so quite easy to source.
Good luck

jeremiah

could always use a lighter and singe the thread ends. If any nylon in it at all it will melt enough to cauterize the ends. just do it a little then quickly pinch it.

Southoftheborder

Sorry to be negative but I've tried several ways of saving zips which have gone like that and nothing worked as a permanent fix. Yes you can try to stabilise it as suggested above but once it starts to fray like that just inserting it will damage the tape more each time.

Steve27752

First get a dark brown piece of cotton or similar fabric.
Cut into a strip the same width as the tape, but double the length of the frayed area.
Fold the material in half across the shorter width.
Starting at at the bottom of the zip, place it over the front and back of the frayed area.
Sew into place.
Sounds complicated but is really easy and much better than using any type of glue or flame.

Micawber

As above ^^^^ except I'd seal the ends with one of the adhesives already suggested then reinforce with a strip of material - but this will only delay the inevitable though.

Southoftheborder

I've tried that and if it goes all the way across it will stop the male part going into the zip box. The weakness is where the tape is crimped to the male end and it will just come apart eventually. Modern zips are reinforced with plastic there.

Pilot

I've tried that and if it goes all the way across it will stop the male part going into the zip box. The weakness is where the tape is crimped to the male end and it will just come apart eventually. Modern zips are reinforced with plastic there.
uhhh...so the glueing option might after all be sustainable..

Silver Surfer

tech is right. amys leather glue will slow down the fraying also. heres the catch, when applying be sure that you make the glued area as flat as the tape or the puller will not want to engage. the prob is that there is no extra room in the sides of the puller to go over any excess glue. you can apply a second time to kind reinforce the glue job, also making sure that the glue is flat with the tape. all of the above are stop gap measures, especially with old zippers, as then tend to disintegrate over time due to usage, material fatigue, metal corrosion contamination, and god knows what else. if you are gentle with engaging the repaired zipper, you can make last a coupla months, or even a coupla years. buying a nos or clean replacement back up zipper and having it in hand is a good idea for when the inevitable male side separates to the point of no can do.. oh, when engaging the starter pin hold it and the tape simotaneously so as to not put further stress on the fraying-tear.

jeremiah

Yeah whatever you use, and I like quite a few of the suggestions above, keep in mind the way the zipper attaches to that part and don’t make that part too beefy otherwise you introduce another problem to be managed.