• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about sleeve and jacket length on internet sites.

Spitfireace

Just bought a jacket from Buyee Japan. The seller stated that the sleeves were 60 cm so I bought it since that'll fit me. When I received the jacket the sleeves are 65 cm. In other words two inches too long. I contacted Buyee and they more or less are saying I should have asked whether the length includes knits or not. I replied that it is assumed generally that sleeve length includes knits. Am I right in this or is it buyer beware to ask first before buying? This is problematic going through a proxy like Buyee since the seller is not directly contacted by me anyhow since they don't speak English (which is the purpose of Buyee of course). I'm probably going to hang onto the jacket and get the sleeves tailored to fit since the cost of mail and duty etc. won't be returned as this is not a fault of Buyee. I guess this is a lesson for me, but also a heads up for anybody else in a similar situation.

Dany McDonald

I was there lately with a B-15 bought on grailed.com and even with direct contact to the seller (Indonesian), I got a jacket that fits a bit tight. He measured a bit differently than expected.
It's hard to measure fabric, especially with insulating layer, elastic waistbands/knits, or thick leather, so you have to expect some latitude but 5 cm that's a lot to cope with...

A good trick is to send an image of how you expect the jacket to be measured.

So in my opinion, definitely buyers beware.

Dany

Spitfireace

Ya, not sure how he ended up with 5 cm short measurement because a knit is three inches. So if you measured the sleeve to end of fabric it would not be 60 cm it would be 56 cm (which it is). I think most people assume that the sleeve length is the entire length of the sleeve because it only makes sense as a knit is part of the sleeve. But I mean that since this is sold in Japan usually to Japanese if it weren't for Buyee, then it would be easy to return (in country), but from here it is a waste of all the money I spent importing it. I've had success twice now from Japan, but it's a lot of luck. So you win some and lose some I guess.

Spitfireace

This is also a B-15. I have to say I ran into a HPA chart giving the sizing for these jackets after I sent my order. I figured that some Japanese domestic jackets (Buzz Rickson) might have a shorter length particularly the older ones. Realize now I was incorrect.

Spitfireace

Also it is not the Rough Wear contract but the BR.

Dany McDonald

Yes, I've noticed that Buzz B-15 line cloth/nylon, have disparity in sizes from one generation/model to another. A B-15A in 40 will not fit like a B-15C in 40, they follow different patterns which is normal if your intention is to replicate an original.

My personal problem, like so many I am sure, is that I am in between sizes, me it's 38-40. So to buy from the internet I had to know my body well. So I made myself a chart of my jackets and shirts measured (shoulder/p2p/length/sleeve). I use it a lot and it helped me avoid buyers remorse, some times ;). But to know how jackets from a particular manufacturer fit, you have to try them, RMC and Buzz do make a B-15C inspired by Monarch, believe me they don't fit the same at all :(.

And we have the resale section... I will probably list some B-10/15 soon, as some fit a bit odd and others I've lost interest. If we post a lot of jackets there, we may create a small effect and get people's attentions?

Dany

Spitfireace

Yup, thanks for your input Dany. My problem, if you can put it that way, is that I'm very short. At five foot three, off the rack jackets don't usually fit length wise. I'm a 38 in chest and in and shoulders, but short. So normally sleeves are a couple of inches too long. Sometimes the only way to make a jacket fit for me if isn't a custom made, is to get a tailor to shorten the sleeves. Carl here can also concur as he's five five.

Dany McDonald

I get what you are saying, may I suggest, if B-15's are your thing at the moment, to look for earlier Mccoy's. I have their older Monarch in 38 and find the length and sleeve on the short side. Maybe a 36 with room at the chest could fit the bill ;) ?

I think that Buzz are a bit heavier (P2P and length) and Mccoy lighter.

Can someone with a bigger range of jackets confirm this?

And smaller sizes are cheaper on Buyee too, I know it's expensive to just try....I call it the HIT & MI$$ collectors game!

Dany

Spitfireace

You are right it's a hit and miss. Thanks for the suggestion of McCoys but the problem is sending this jacket back is not possible so I have to either sell it which I hate to try since it's a pain in the butt or keep it and alter it since it's here in my closet. I was lucky with a BR L-2 the sleeves are maybe an inch too long at 23 inch and a half but I can live with it. I bought a Schott Perfecto 618 from ebay from Japan that seems to have a shorter length than US sizes would have even though it's made in New York as usual. Might have been made for the Japanese market. Fits me well if not a touch too long and it's a 38. Anyhow, getting off topic as I bought the jacket based on what the seller said the measurements were, and they were not the correct measurements so I don't feel as though I'm at fault. Measuring sleeve length is not rocket science.

Dany McDonald

In you case the seller was not really paying attention or dint'h really care... You are right to be disappointed.

I also compare measurements for the same jacket and when someone is really ''off the chart'', I ask for more or just pass.

Buyee is special as you cant correspond with the seller, so again, buyers beware!!!

Dany

B-Man2

Unfortunately this is what you have to accept when dealing with companies like Buyee etc.
The problem is that everyone is looking for a “deal “. Sometimes it’s worth paying a bit more and not having to deal with the aftermath . I don’t know how much money was saved by going to Buyee but now you’ll have to have it fixed or move it on . Unfortunately we all have gotten caught up like that , but it happens . Good luck with it.