• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

question about flying tigers patches!!

PeterShiao

what's different between these 2 patches?? how to distinguish it's 23rd fighter group or 74th fighter squadron while only one on jacket??
Screenshot_2023-06-02-19-35-15-03_8b1cfbb769bd52fc36fa25a4fcc64305.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-06-02-19-35-03-75_8b1cfbb769bd52fc36fa25a4fcc64305.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-06-02-19-35-03-75_8b1cfbb769bd52fc36fa25a4fcc64305.jpg
    563.3 KB · Views: 68

Silver Surfer

Hiya Peter, welcome to the abusement park. Your interest in the patches is? A quick non answer, answer is, there was no official designation for the designs of most cbi patches, but many fell into accepted usage. There are at least several tiger designs that were used, by different groups and squadrons, and each patch maker made them using local materials, for the most part in India and China.

JonnyCrow

Hiya Peter, welcome to the abusement park. Your interest in the patches is? A quick non answer, answer is, there was no official designation for the designs of most cbi patches, but many fell into accepted usage. There are at least several tiger designs that were used, by different groups and squadrons, and each patch maker made them using local materials, for the most part in India and China.
I agree same as 8th AF could be made in Britain and embroidered not painted, I've seen a variety made of many patches

Chandler

We seem to be hitting on 30s & 40s cartoonists/illustrators lately -- the AVG Panda Bear was created by cartoonist/aviator Bert Christman.

As to pairing an AVG patch with an AAF 23rd FG patch -- on a later-issue FJ, dunno. Tex Hill, of the AVG 2nd Pursuit, stayed on with the AAF, but retained his M-422 -- and put the 23rd patch on the left side.

PeterShiao

We seem to be hitting on 30s & 40s cartoonists/illustrators lately -- the AVG Panda Bear was created by cartoonist/aviator Bert Christman.

As to pairing an AVG patch with an AAF 23rd FG patch -- on a later-issue FJ, dunno. Tex Hill, of the AVG 2nd Pursuit, stayed on with the AAF, but retained his M-422 -- and put the 23rd patch on the left side.
ok ! thanks. learned something!!

EMBLEMHUNTER

I think the 74th Fighter Squadron was basically the same design with the exception of the outer border being a light gray color ..........

Attachments

• 74th Fighter Squadron Tiger (2).jpg
    74th Fighter Squadron Tiger (2).jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 69

PeterShiao

hey guys i find something !!! panda bears patch . it's on lost worlds Inc. did exist!!

Attachments

• AVGPanda-5A.jpg
    AVGPanda-5A.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Chandler

hey guys i find something !!! panda bears patch . it's on lost worlds Inc. did exist!!
Looks like a chenille patch. What's the provenance on the image?

Have never seen those AVG collar pins before, either. I have the feeling these may have been post-war items for commemoration.

Members online

Latest posts