Question about Aero A-2s and cowhide

Discussion in 'Repros' started by mulceber, Apr 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. mulceber

mulceber New Member

See, that’s something that didn’t immediately click with me; when I initially thought of civilian jackets, I was thinking of people wearing ordinary everyday leather jackets that just don’t have a military association. It’s only when Ken brought it up that it occurred to me that Bikers would be such a huge demographic among civvy jacket wearers. In that light, it totally makes sense that lighter weights and lighter colors wouldn’t be as popular.

Really nice leather, btw - now I’m starting to drool over some of the battered steer jackets in the Quartermasters Issue...

That's an interesting issue - yeah, I'm inclined to say it's the squeakiness of the leather, as I can't imagine that they'd be able to smell the original horse after all the chemicals involved in tanning...then maybe it's another kind of smell issue: you don't have your normal scent because of the strong leather smell of that jacket.

zoomer likes this.
  2. blackrat2

blackrat2 Active Member

Steer is a great leather for sure, shows good grain etc and let’s be honest is hard to tell from horse