• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quality of Avirex A-2 Jackets

silvio76

The jacket just came in yesterday and I have to say I am seriously impressed for having paid well under $100.
I will disappont you, this is so called "100 mission" jacket and it is made of lambskin, not horsehide. Cockpit still produce this jacket.

Last edited:

JulianK

I will disappont you, this is so called "100 mission" jacket and it is made of lambskin, not horsehide. Cockpit still produce this jacket.

The labeling is very different in mine and is still branded “Avirex”. On the Fedora Lounge, some members identified it as being an early 90s jacket.

silvio76

The labeling is very different in mine and is still branded “Avirex”. On the Fedora Lounge, some members identified it as being an early 90s jacket.
Probably you did not understand me well. Your jacket is Avirex jacket, probably from late 80s or 90s. They used white label with american flag and made in USA in that period. Cockpit has same model and labels are different, of course. This model, Avirex or Cockpit, is made of lambskin, not horsehide. Is one of my previous posts you can see label for Avirex horsehide jacket.

JulianK

Probably you did not understand me well. Your jacket is Avirex jacket, probably from late 80s or 90s. They used white label with american flag and made in USA in that period. Cockpit has same model and labels are different, of course. This model, Avirex or Cockpit, is made of lambskin, not horsehide. Is one of my previous posts you can see label for Avirex horsehide jacket.

I see what you are saying. I’m surprised it’s lambskin. I thought at the very least it was cowhide because the weight is pretty substantial.

silvio76

I see what you are saying. I’m surprised it’s lambskin. I thought at the very least it was cowhide because the weight is pretty substantial.
Jackets made of lambskin are heavy, and this model is "lighter" version. If you have opportunity try classic Avirex jacket made of lambsikn. It is much heavier.

Last edited:

JulianK

Sorry just checked some information someone else linked me. It’s goatskin. I’m still ok with the quality to be honest.

silvio76

Sorry just checked some information someone else linked me. It’s goatskin. I’m still ok with the quality to be honest.
This is Avirex jacket made of goatskin. This one is made for conference in Las Vegas, celebration of 50th anniversary of USAF.
IMG_20190619_131757_4.jpg
IMG_20190619_131745_4.jpg

Last edited:

dinomartino1

When I was younger probably before a lot of people here where even born if you wanted an A2 avirex was about all you could get and they where not cheap, they did make decent quality jackets just not historically exact replicas but some nice jackets.
Younger people do not realise that buying stuff was not like it is now, no google search and no ebay.
Avirex was sold worldwide and their jackets where highly regarded at the time, I know I used to go into a shop in Oxford street in London just to look at them as they where too much money for my meagre means.

Last edited:

silvio76

When I was younger probably before a lot of people here where even born if you wanted an A2 avirex was about all you could get and they where not cheap, they did make decent quality jackets just not historically exact replicas but some nice jackets.
Younger people do not realise that buying stuff was not like it is now, no google search and no ebay.
Yes, they were very popular, especially after "Top gun" movie. As a teenager my dream was to have Avirex Top Gun G-1 jacket. Unfortunately they were to expensive for me.

dinomartino1

I have had eastman, kelso, aero and a buzz ricksons A2, all mighty fine jackets but people who put down the modern issued UASF jackets never seem to want to acknowledge that whatever their shortcomings they are genuine USAF issue, you can blame what you may perceive to be their shortcomings on the US govt as they are manufactured to their specifications.
All the top end jackets no matter how well made are copies of something else.

Last edited:

B-Man2

I have had eastman, kelso, aero and a buzz ricksons A2, all mighty fine jackets but people who put down the modern issued UASF jackets never seem to want to acknowledge is that whatever their shortcomings they are genuine USAF issue, you can blame what you may perceive to be their shortcomings on the US govt as they are manufactured to their specifications.
All the top and jackets no matter how well made are copies of something else.
Dino
Completely agree with you. They are issued US Air Force flight jackets , well constructed and the best value out there for the money right now. In 20 years people will be collecting these jackets and paying lots of money for them the way we do today for original A2’s.

dinomartino1

Dino
Completely agree with you. They are issued US Air Force flight jackets , well constructed and the best value out there for the money right now. In 20 years people will be collecting these jackets and paying lots of money for them the way we do today for original A2’s.
i think that maybe when they start to become really collectable the orchards may end up being the one that becomes really sought after.

B-Man2

i think that maybe when they start to become really collectable the orchards may end up being the one that becomes really sought after.
Really?...... I guess that’s a possibility . I would bet on the Saddlery earlier issued A2 jackets because they were the first issues without hand warmer pockets and interior pockets. They were the closest to the original A2 configuration.

silvio76

Really?...... I guess that’s a possibility . I would bet on the Saddlery earlier issued A2 jackets because they were the first issues without hand warmer pockets and interior pockets. They were the closest to the original A2 configuration.
Branded garments Orchard from 1992 and Avirex from 1998 did not have hand warmer pockets. Branded garments Orchard had one interior pocket, Avirex had not.

B-Man2

Thanks for the info Silvio. Of those jackets you mentioned, which do you think might be the most desirable as collectible jackets in 10 or 15 years from now?

silvio76

Thanks for the info Silvio. Of those jackets you mentioned, which do you think might be the most desirable as collectible jackets in 10 or 15 years from now?
I think Cooper. Especially from first contract 1988. and jackets from 1996 with different label, i will put picture later.

B-Man2

Thanks for that . And it’s good to hear from you . I’d been hoping we could mend things up between us. My apologies for things I said in the past .
Cheers