• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Probably a stupid question, but...

mulceber

...I’ve never seen it answered: was there any rhyme or reason to who got issued an A-2 vs. a B-3 jacket? I get the sense the A-2 was the more “officer-y” jacket, but then I know Patton apparently liked wearing a B-3, and from the photos I’ve looked at, it looks like some enlisted men had A-2s.

B-Man2

I don’t have any definitive info on this other than some photos I’ve seen and some books that suggest that crews enlisted and officers were issued jackets based on a couple of different factors, such as mission priority , stock availability and sometimes based on the aircraft and pilots choice. All pilots were issued A2 jackets while in pilot training. Many bomber crews were issued B-3s when the crews were assigned to their pilots . Many bomber pilots and crew wore an A2 under a B-3. Many of the crews were issued both jackets. Many fighter pilots preferred A2 jackets because the B-3 jackets were too restrictive to their movements in a small cockpit. There are pictures here on the forum that show racks of B-3 jackets being hung up in the flight survival equipment huts waiting to be issued for the next mission. So hopefully this is a partial answer to your question . I’m sure others will also have additional information as well on this topic.

Last edited:

ausreenactor

I would think area of operations and practicality would have been the driving force. Supply issue equipment based on an entitlement.

mulceber

That makes a lot of sense. So it's not so much a part of their uniform as a piece of equipment that they'll be given as they need it.

crism1

IIRC, guys you see in pictures wearing a B-3 already were the owners of A-2s. You used to get your A-2 once you completed the training and that was a piece to own with pride cause it meant you were a pilot\airman. The B3 was more of a situational item you wore for particular roles, but most likely for bomber crews, since bombers used to fly much higher than fighter planes and, consequently, temperatures were much lower. Some parts of the bombers or transport planes were crudely heated while some were not, and that's why in movies you see pilots with A-2s and gunners with B-3s on the same plane.

Griffon_301

I guess it had a lot to do with practicality on one hand, availability on the other, how good you knew your friendly supply guy and theatre of operations...
Lots of early 8th AF pilots tried to get their hands on tank jackets as those were warmer and better suited to their work as A-2s in wintry Europe and leather gear seems to have been in short supply in early 1943 still in the UK ...
Of course trading and bartering might also taken place :)

Bombing IP

The A-2 became the symbol of American pilots during WWII, with entire aircrews proudly sporting their bomber jackets. However, in 1943 General H. H. “Hap” Arnold ceased any further leather jacket orders in favour of newer cloth-shell jackets (B-10 and B-15) – an unpopular decision with the men of the US Army Air Force. Despite this, existing A-2 bomber jackets could still be ordered well into 1944 thanks to an oversupply. In fact, right through to the Korean War of the early 1950s, such was the jacket’s popularity, bomber crews could be seen sporting their A-2s from the previous decade.

Source https://www.apetogentleman.com/bomber-jacket/

To look at the A2 in perspective it was Dec 7th America declared war so starting 1942 A2s were made in bulk as the Air Corp began serious recruiting , and then jacket was withdrawn 1943 barely over a year in service .The Army Air Corp was not the force nor did it have the planes previous to the outbreak of war .So in battle the jacket officially lasted just over a year but what an impact this jacket has had post war with people wanting the style .

Jeff

mulceber

True Jeff, but of course, they never recalled the A-2, they just stopped issuing it. So it was a common sight at air based until the end of the war and beyond.

Spitfireace

A-2 bomber jacket is a misnomer. Obviously fighter pilots wore them. Issuance of A-2 versus B-3 might depend on the warmth of the cabin of a bomber or fighter versus the back of a bomber which typically had no heat until the B-29 Stratofortress which was climate controlled like todays airplanes. So at that point heavy jackets were no longer required. You could fly in your shirt essentially.

Griffon_301

Bomber jacket generally is a stupid term...there were no such things a jackets issued exclusively to either fighter or bomber pilots...the A and B denominations indicating different temperature zones for which the jackets were intended...then of course there were also the AN series jackets of later war years...

Micawber

I'll have to dig out the personal records I have but I was under the impression that most were issued both garments, one for light duties and the other for the high altitude stuff.