• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PRIVATE PURCHASE ROUGH WEAR A2

Roughwear

Finally got around to taking some pictures of this jacket. It is a bit of an enigma really in that it has a RW label in the pocket with a production number like an issued jacket yet has a green silk lining, green/brown knits and a looped cloth hanger (all original to the jacket). Also unlike contract RW A2s there is not the reinforcement stitching on the female side of the zip.

The other details are much the same as one of their contract A2s. I am wondering whether this jacket was sold as a civilian jacket because the collar is a little off centre and would not have passed inspection for the USAAF. It fits like a generous Wartime 42 and is much the same size as my size 44 1401p. In fact it is an inch wider across the shoulders and the sleeves are slightly longer.

The Crown zipper is the early sort, found on 1401s, so I'm wondering when this jacket was made. Yet it is seal like many from the later 27752 contract. Any thoughts?

I know Aero and Star, for example, made A2s for as private purchases, but I have not seen a civilian RW A2 before. Has anyone here seen one before? I should imagine they are extremely rare.

002-34.jpg

011-34.jpg

014-32.jpg

004-28.jpg

003-37.jpg

007-34.jpg

008-38.jpg

010-40.jpg

009-41.jpg

005-32.jpg

012-40.jpg

015-37.jpg

006-35.jpg

Robman

You sure it's not a doctored up wartime example/depot remake.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's a civie though....I believe RW manufactured NYPD police leathers before the war.

Robman

Ok never mind (I'm a dope)

I see from the back there was no hanger loop sewn through.

Nice find though.

Roughwear

The jacket is 100% original, with all the original lining, knits etc.. It may have been a custom job direct from RW. If only the jacket could talk.... ;)

dadgad

Looking at how the collar is off-centered maybe it could be a model sold at half price a sort of internal factory sell, assuming that the lining was purposely modified after the collar mistake in order to distingue it from the correct issued models.
Often happens also nowadays with garments.
My 2 cents.

Roughwear

dadgad said:
Looking at how the collar is off-centered maybe it could be a model sold at half price a sort of internal factory sell, assuming that the lining was purposely modified after the collar mistake in order to distingue it from the correct issued models.
My 2 cents.

This makes good sense. It's not the first RW jacket I've seen with a collar which is slightly off set, but this is the most pronounced.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Roughwear said:
I know Aero and Star, for example, made A2s for as private purchases, but I have not seen a civilian RW A2 before. Has anyone here seen one before? I should imagine they are extremely rare.

I'm sure that they've appeared on eBay before, and Rough Wear seem to have been well into the private purchase market.
Check out the A-2-alike, with the National Air Transport Service patch, on page 157 of your book. Patented adjustable collar, and with riveted Talon ... that jacket's early.

Roughwear

Thanks David. I have checked out the RW in question, but it's not an A2! I am looking to for info on other RW private purchase A2s, which I'm sure exist.

Roughwear

Roughwear said:
dadgad said:
My 2 cents.

This makes good sense. It's not the first RW jacket I've seen with a collar which is slightly off set, but this is the most pronounced.

This is a plausible explanation. An employee may have preferred a Crown zip to the Talons used on the last A2 contract and fancied green lining and knits. The knits are similar in colour to those used on the B-10, so it could well date from around 1944 when RW were completing their last contract for A2s and making B-10s.