• Hey guys, I had to upgrade the VLJ software because the old one is being phased out. Please let me know of any issues in the SITE UPDATE THREAD. Thanks!

Private purchase jacket with painted patch on Navy pilot.

Ken at Aero Leather

Being in Australia it is driving me crazy to find out what that patch is.
I can make out VS as the first letters on top of the patch at the left.

VS Scouting Squadron
VS-D Scouting Squadron (Naval District)
VSB Scout Bombing Squadron
I'd agree VS on the zipper side VP401 on the sleeve side

Eastwood

most likely worn by an Aussie test pilot.........maybe photographed at an Air Race?
I also see it as at the top left VS on right VP401 or VP40, and at the bottom of the patch likeo_O P1040, and it also seems to me that the man who is back standing in 55j14 (look at the shoulders).
But this officer is exactly from the US Navy. Perhaps the jacket as a memory about of some a person or event, like talisman.

Last edited:

dinomartino1

I also see it as at the top left VS on right VP401 or VP40, and at the bottom of the patch likeo_O , and it also seems to me that the man who is back standing in 55j14 (look at the shoulders).
But this officer is exactly from the US Navy. Perhaps the jacket as a memory about of some a person or event, like talisman.
As Ken said perhaps the hawker sea hunter as more numbers are matching if we are reading them correctly.
"On 2 September 1947, the P.1040 prototype, VP401, sometimes referred to as the Hawker N.7/46 after the related naval specification, conducted its maiden flight from RAF Boscome Down"
If it's anything to do with test flights maybe late 1940s?

Last edited:

dinomartino1

Came across this picture when trying to solve this puzzle.

gettyimages-931274704-1024x1024.jpg

Hawker Hunter Tests
General Albert Boyd (left), senior test pilot of the US Air Force, and Colonel Fred Ascani, chief of the Bomber Flight Test Section during a visit to Britain to familiarise themselves with British aircraft, 5th May 1952. Also pictured is Neville Duke (1922 - 2007), the Hawker chief test pilot (facing camera). The Americans have already flown the Hawker Hunter and hope to fly the Gloster GA5 Delta fighter before leaving.

Eastwood

General Albert Boyd (left), senior test pilot of the US Air Force, and Colonel Fred Ascani, chief of the Bomber Flight Test Section during a visit to Britain to familiarise themselves with British aircraft, 5th May 1952. Also pictured is Neville Duke (1922 - 2007), the Hawker chief test pilot (facing camera). The Americans have already flown the Hawker Hunter and hope to fly the Gloster GA5 Delta fighter before leaving.
But this is not the US Navy officers. o_O
Here is an interesting postcard.

Attachments

Ken at Aero Leather

As Ken said perhaps the hawker sea hunter as more numbers are matching if we are reading them correctly.
"On 2 September 1947, the P.1040 prototype, VP401, sometimes referred to as the Hawker N.7/46 after the related naval specification, conducted its maiden flight from RAF Boscome Down"
If it's anything to do with test flights maybe late 1940s?
I also see it as at the top left VS on right VP401 or VP40, and at the bottom of the patch likeo_O P1040, and it also seems to me that the man who is back standing in 55j14 (look at the shoulders).
I think you are right about the numbers, if so that's irrefutable proof of a connection with the first Hawker prototype, now we need to ID the flier.

Otter

Orbitals and brows as well as the chin are wrong. I could believe the nose as being squashed if it was on the older photo not the younger. Not Scott.

unclegrumpy

So I tried blowing the image up a bit and now see what guys are seeing...sort of...

I still do not see any collar rank insignia on the center guy...there should be either single gold or silver bars or double silver bars (like the guy to the left has) on each collar

I see some of the writing at top of the patch, but there looks to be more to it. At the bottom, there are a few more letters before what maybe looks like "VP40"...the first possibly being a "P"

I can't make out whatever is written on the pocket flap

The Hawker prototype connection seems really unlikely. I looked up the plane and the pilots, and saw nothing that would have fit

Crossfield does not fit well either...leaving his face out of the mix, his career does not match well

Also notice that the Kangaroo appears to have an eagle above his head...maybe grasping him by the neck

Another thing to start to factor in to the mix is the date of the photo. The VS squadron designation was dropped in 1943, but then brought back in 1950.

I think we need the source of the photo to get some more clues.

Ken at Aero Leather

So I tried blowing the image up a bit and now see what guys are seeing...sort of...

I still do not see any collar rank insignia on the center guy...there should be either single gold or silver bars or double silver bars (like the guy to the left has) on each collar

I see some of the writing at top of the patch, but there looks to be more to it. At the bottom, there are a few more letters before what maybe looks like "VP40"...the first possibly being a "P"

I can't make out whatever is written on the pocket flap

The Hawker prototype connection seems really unlikely. I looked up the plane and the pilots, and saw nothing that would have fit

Crossfield does not fit well either...leaving his face out of the mix, his career does not match well

Also notice that the Kangaroo appears to have an eagle above his head...maybe grasping him by the neck

Another thing to start to factor in to the mix is the date of the photo. The VS squadron designation was dropped in 1943, but then brought back in 1950.

I think we need the source of the photo to get some more clues.
Agreed re Crossfield although he does look similar but I'll stick with the Hawker (VP401) for now
To me the Kangaroo appeared to have wings attached rather than a bird/eagle above
You are correct, a source, date or location for the photo would be a huge help................oose.........are you still here?

Eastwood

Agreed re Crossfield although he does look similar but I'll stick with the Hawker (VP401) for now
To me the Kangaroo appeared to have wings attached rather than a bird/eagle above
You are correct, a source, date or location for the photo would be a huge help................oose.........are you still here?
I also looked more attentively. It does not look like an eagle, looks like a flying fish with a curved tail. And looking more closely I saw a bomb in the hands of a kangaroo.
I showed a patch USAFIA above, and what if not the VS and there US or USA and not VP401 and there AFIA or FIA