• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Private collection photos... HOLY COW!

bombs away

Hi guys,

Thank you for the kind words. :oops:
i know some guys here who have amazing collections, much more than mine, but keep them secret... ;)

A few items have left the collection and others have come in.
I'm more collecting USAAF groupings and identified items (uniforms, documents, photo albums...), that are spectacular than A-2s but my interest is more in the airmen stories than in anonymous equipment.

I take the opportunity to ask for a little help :
I'm working on an article about the 449th Bomb Group. I'm looking for scans of wartime pictures (nose art, crews, b-24s,...) I could use to illustrate the article. I'm looking for personal and original pics as I'm trying to keep off copyrights.
Fold3 pics are free but very poor about this particular unit.
Identified items would be very helpful too.

Cheers,
Tim

bazelot

bombs away said:
Hi guys,

Thank you for the kind words. :oops:
i know some guys here who have amazing collections, much more than mine, but keep them secret... ;)

A few items have left the collection and others have come in.
I'm more collecting USAAF groupings and identified items (uniforms, documents, photo albums...), that are spectacular than A-2s but my interest is more in the airmen stories than in anonymous equipment.

I take the opportunity to ask for a little help :
I'm working on an article about the 449th Bomb Group. I'm looking for scans of wartime pictures (nose art, crews, b-24s,...) I could use to illustrate the article. I'm looking for personal and original pics as I'm trying to keep off copyrights.
Fold3 pics are free but very poor about this particular unit.
Identified items would be very helpful too.

Cheers,
Tim

Great collection. Do you still have the Sweet Seventeen jacket? I loved that jacket!

bombs away

bazelot said:
Great collection. Do you still have the Sweet Seventeen jacket? I loved that jacket!

Hi Tom,
(when I was talking of amazing collections... ;))

Yes, sure. I'm still in touch with mr Zauner's family. Bill is still alive but unfortunately, he's victim of the Alzeimer's syndrom. All very kind people I've met thanks to you.

Cheers
Tim

TankBuster

Hey Tim,

I will do some digging and see if I have anything photo related to the 449th BG. I think I have a group of items to a guy that served with them.

bombs away

TankBuster said:
Hey Tim,

I will do some digging and see if I have anything photo related to the 449th BG. I think I have a group of items to a guy that served with them.

Hello Jeff,

I hope you're doing well.
I'm still KO by the fantastic groupings you've shown on the US Militaria Forum. You could write a book with all you own.

Thank you for your kind proposition about helping me on material from 449th BG.
I've started writing an article about this unit as I have a nice grouping from a gunner shot down over Austria in may 1944, with his original diary. Lots of nice details to share. I wanted to write about the 15th AF crews as they are always forgotten.
The article will be : one part about the unit story and another part focusing on the grouping and the gunner's experience. If you should have another grouping, it could be possible to cut off the second part of the article between the 2 stories.
Two of my good friends are Gregory Pons (who wrote 2 books about 8th and 9th AF and one about USMC pilots) and Mathieu Bianchi (who wrote several articles in french Militaria Magazine about several USAAF units, and is actually preparing a new "Gear Up". He will receive the first full test version next week from the editor). They will help me to succeed in this brand new exercice for me.

Let me know if you can find pics or grouping about 449th BG and if any interest for you to share them in an article.

Have a nice weekend !
All the best,
Tim

TankBuster

Hey Tim,

Great to hear from you. I am looking forward to your article and the upcoming book you mentioned.

I will have some time this weekend to check and see if I have anything of interest. I will email you anything I find! ;)

bombs away

Ooops ! :shock:

Previous post was supposed to be private message for Jeff. :oops:
Sorry guys (especially Jeff).
Fortunately, nothing too secret, but if a moderator could help to erase this...

Cheers,
Tim

bombs away

TankBuster said:
Hey Tim,

Great to hear from you. I am looking forward to your article and the upcoming book you mentioned.

I will have some time this weekend to check and see if I have anything of interest. I will email you anything I find! ;)

We've been online at the same time.

Thank you so much Jeff ;)

Tim

dmar836

No need to erase. I love to see you guys interacting. It's inspiring to us "little guys"! You've helped me out and I'm glad it's a healthy community that way.

Looking forward to these things coming up.
Dave

TankBuster

I did find a 459th BG grouping in the collection and thought I would post a couple quick pics here for the heck of it.

Tim, check you inbox and let me know what you need good photos of.

bombs away

Hello jeff,

Another amazing grouping ! :shock:
Thank you very much for sharing.

Just a little problem, I'm looking for 449th BG items... ;)
But it's always a great pleasure to watch your collection. You're lucky to live very far from me or I would be knocking at your door every morning to spend hours in your war room.

This grouping could match with much smaller I have from another squadron of the 459th BG (757th):
6556254627_1547075fcc_z_d.jpg

That would be another great challenge to write about the 459th BG with this stuff to illustrate the text.

Cheers,
Tim