• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price increase at Eastman Leather

Persimmon

Well, someone is either breaking the law or talking bollox if they think importing from the US has little duty cost.....

View attachment 8026

And this is for a jacket half the cost of a Goodwear. Tough on a Civil Engineers salary but perhaps a drop in the ocean for a primary school headmaster and so we have the difference in what constitutes a lot of money.....

Is this one particular headteacher you are having a less than friendly go at .. or ...
is it does it apply to all those pesky headteachers ??

Officer Dibley

any Civil Engineer and any headmaster :D

Well i shudder to think the cost of LEGALLY importing a GW must be. Anyone else care to chip in ....?

Rutger

Altering the value of exported goods is illegal.
That said, I hate to pay my government taxes for providing zero service, and even charging extra for the act of calculating the taxes I'm about to pay.
So yeah, have the value marked as half or a third because they'll rob you anytime anyway.
Tariff war anyone?

Southoftheborder

The UK customs tightened up about ten years ago and now they catch almost everything. Until then you were almost never charged VAT on private imports - the duty is only a small part and it's VAT which is the main charge.

It was in response to people buying iPhones and laptops and similar goods from the US where there is no VAT and sales taxes are small and state imposed and not applied on exports. So goods are a lot cheaper than if bought in the EU where VAT of typically 20% is applied to absolutely everything sold. As long as it was only a few people it didn't matter but it became very widespread and was costing a significant sum in lost revenues.

If goods are imported and retailed in the EU VAT is automatically added so it has to be expected than private imports should be treated the same way.

Ken at Aero Leather

In the past we've used Commodity Code 97 05 00 00 30 to import "Items of historical importance" (Original A-2s etc) duty free. No good for repros obviously
It's subjective obviously but I can't recall any item being questioned, although it's been a while since we've used it

johnwayne

I'm sure I've said before, it's as much about the description of the package - if I buy from overseas say a new repro then of course it attracts VAT based on the fact of its clearly come from a company rather than an individual. JC despatched a jacket to as if it was from him rather than Goodwear and in fairness it 'had been worn for a few hours' so deemed 'used military jacket' and i paid no tax, similarly my A1 from SFA (Mark Fisher, now Norshor) was sent by him and again no tax. The seller can't lie but can be economical with the truth and down to bad luck if you do get clobbered! Painful though when you do!!

B-Man2

I'm sure I've said before, it's as much about the description of the package - if I buy from overseas say a new repro then of course it attracts VAT based on the fact of its clearly come from a company rather than an individual. JC despatched a jacket to as if it was from him rather than Goodwear and in fairness it 'had been worn for a few hours' so deemed 'used military jacket' and i paid no tax, similarly my A1 from SFA (Mark Fisher, now Norshor) was sent by him and again no tax. The seller can't lie but can be economical with the truth and down to bad luck if you do get clobbered! Painful though when you do!!

Yes but, as you said ,
Regardless of how the jacket is listed by the sender, he still has to put a dollar value on the form for customs and insurance purposes. Once that’s done, the package is marked like a neon sign. One thing that we overlook is that the Custom guys have been playing this game for years, and we are novices at it. If they even smell a misrepresentation they open the box and punch the maker label into a computer that has more information that the national archives . They have cost databases on virtually every product known to man. Every day someone try’s to sneak one by the goalie. All the creative math in the world won’t reduce those fees by much and your taking a risk by falsifying a government form. For those guys who beat the system on occasion, it was a lucky occurrence. That’s just the way it is.

Rutger

The past two years I've consequenly been hit by customs.
Used to buy silver Morgan dollars off ebay, had them valued at like 10$ and shipped for 5$. Ditto jackets, shipping at 30$ and stated value 30-50$. Hardly ever got hit. Never cared about insurance.

Ebay.com changed the format of internationally shipped auctions, they calculate import taxes for you and upped shipping to like 18$ for one coin. Similar for jackets.
Simultaneously, Dutch customs decided to make serious bussiness of taxing everything. They hit hard, and since then I stopped buying coins and jackets off ebay.com .
Mostly ebay.co.uk nowadays, though I wonder what's gonna happen when Brexit really hits the fan.

Pilot

The past two years I've consequenly been hit by customs.
Used to buy silver Morgan dollars off ebay, had them valued at like 10$ and shipped for 5$. Ditto jackets, shipping at 30$ and stated value 30-50$. Hardly ever got hit. Never cared about insurance.

Ebay.com changed the format of internationally shipped auctions, they calculate import taxes for you and upped shipping to like 18$ for one coin. Similar for jackets.
Simultaneously, Dutch customs decided to make serious bussiness of taxing everything. They hit hard, and since then I stopped buying coins and jackets off ebay.com .
Mostly ebay.co.uk nowadays, though I wonder what's gonna happen when Brexit really hits the fan.
The Greasebay, shipping and handling ,taxing system is nonsense ( and pure legalized robbing), since in EU, for private imports ( new goods , if used goods even no taxing at all and/or maybe different % product depending...) taxes are only due for goods with a value higher than 180,—€ or for books even much higher (I do believe 300,——€, but unsure about the final value).
For a new A-2 jacket sure some taxes are due but never what the legalised robbers are charging.
If possible try to avoid this Greasebay S&H and do your import directly ( with a honest receipt) ...especially for smaller items....I am off Greasebay since long.

Last edited:

ties70

Not sure if this has been posted before:

IMG_3497.JPG

I don't know the exact date but it must have been between April an August 2003.

Best regards,

Ties

colekwok

Not sure if this has been posted before:

I don't know the exact date but it must have been between April an August 2003.

Best regards,

Ties

Steerhide A-2, £342.55 in 2003. Ok, I bought a .50Cal A-2 in roughly 2013, that cost me around £500. Now that it is the end of 2018, and the same jacket costs a staggering £1049.99!!!! That is a 100% increase in 5yrs! I wish my salary goes up just like that! What on earth is going on!?

ties70

Buying a HH house-style ELC in 2003 would have cost you GBP 382.50 .... Average weekly wages in the UK in 2003: roughly 340 GBP

Corrected by the inflation rate, the 2003 price would come to roughly GBP 593.00 in today's money. The inflation adapted wages would be at 527 GBP.

Actual price at ELC: 899.99 GBP. .Average weekly wages in the UK today: roughly 524 GBP

Tim P

I completely understand that making quality garments is an expensive proposition and that costs continue to rise........I totally get it.

But this is just getting out of hand and these items are truly moving more and more towards the very well-off!

Its funny as vintage leather products celebrate the "everyman" of times past!
Couldn’t agree more

ausreenactor

Just goes to show, these jackets are investments. Considering buying one and storing it for 10 years!
I bought a DD/GW Bronco A-2 in 2015. It has been in the box, as shipped from GW, since it arrived in August 2015.
I am not planning on opening the box any time soon.

Lebowski

You might not want to sell to this guy.
I bought a DD/GW Bronco A-2 in 2015. It has been in the box, as shipped from GW, since it arrived in August 2015.
I am not planning on opening the box any time soon.
Not the best idea to keep any leather jacket in a carton box, 'cause it'll have unwanted unnatural constant pleats finally.
Ask JC about that, I don't think he'll endorse keeping any leather jacket in a box for a long time.
It's leather, not a nylon...
Anyway, it's up to you, but I wouldn't advise doing that.

taikonaut

Just goes to show, these jackets are investments. Considering buying one and storing it for 10 years!

No disrespect to JC and other manufacturers. It may sound like an investment but at the end of the day they are reproductions. These higher end new repros are sold the same price as wearable original jackets in good condition. The irony is new repros need to be broken into to make them look like old WW2 ones and when they reach that condition they are usually worth no more than 50% of when they were new based on ebay price. They may come a point or I believe has happen already that it make no sense paying over $1k for a repro as long as wearable original WW2 examples can be had for those price. The only reason why anyone would pay those prices is for larger or unique sizes that are difficult to find with originals.