• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price increase at Eastman Leather

stanier

It doesn’t bother me whether it saw combat or spent 80 years in a box. It’s a WWII jacket in relatively rare, wearable condition. I think it deserves to be treated better than a repro, which I have been known to treat very badly. I don’t believe just because it has no provenance, it can be worn continuously, chucked on the floor or in the boot of the car, scraped against walls or used to do the gardening or change your oil.
Anyway, as I already said, it ain’t going to happen, I won’t be spending the money a jacket like that is likely to cost any time soon.

I agree and I think within a reasonable band of flexibility we’re all saying a similar thing.

Whether it’s £1k, or the best part of, or maybe more on a repro or maybe that elusive minty original or restored origipro, I am very unlikely to be be treating it “badly” though we may all have our own interpretation of what badly is!

I couldn’t look my family in the eye if I spent that sort of money then chucked it in a corner in the pub etc! And the fact is if it’s survived 80 years till I had it and might have been worn by a hero at some point makes it worse, IMHO!

However, what an individual spends their money on and what they do with their purchase is entirely their business.

Dreamweapon

So how much did Eastman hike their prices by? I bought a USMC Tee from them about a year ago, it was almost unjustifiably expensive at £69.99, but it's my favourite and most comfortable T shirt. I also have an ELC after hoodie that cost THREE times the price of the Pike brothers equivalent. Is it 3 times as good? Not at all, but the Eastman one has that "je ne sais quoi" about it that Pike just can't match, I always felt their stuff looked quite unremarkable though.
One thing I will say to Gary's credit is that all of his gear is made in Japan, US, or UK.
Cabourn is in a similar price range yet manufactures in China.
Selling the uniform of the working class to the upper class..

917_k

It is what it is.

Once again, second hand market all the way: I own an Eastman B3, A2 & AN-J-4, all in lovely condition and the whole lot cost me the same as a brand new B3...I’m just grateful there are “upper class” people who there who get bored of this stuff after one season and dump it on Ebay for a 1/3 of the price.

Pilot

Nothing special if comparing to the Real McCoy’s prices.
A bit higher than the recently Made in China Buzz Rickson’s ware... but for Japan no gap, no big deal.... considering the Japanese living/spending standards/habits.

Last edited:

Pilot

We have a choice I suppose but prices across the board are edging away from most people.
Buy seconhand !
Agree... and / or ... originals... sometimes really lower in price but higher in real value...by experience...plus a real investment.. never ever sold an original lower than purchased... repros?!?!

Pilot

Yup, that’s increasingly becoming my maxim. Buy second-hand or original. They’re more reasonably priced, they come pre-broken in, and they’ll either retain or appreciate in value.
Any slim/slender around or smaller than 42” ( pit-pit approx. 23” or less)... Checkout the Japs’ auctions or sales pages.. a different world in quality and choices at “emerging countries” prices ( if if if all below a 22”-23” chest)...
Try it!

Dany McDonald

For Nylon/Cloth Japan is the best place. But I've been looking for The Few A-2 size 40 for a long time now...

And Eastman, well what can we say here that will have one oz of influence on them.....NULL. They are just cupid to that extent is my perception.

Edit: I mean greedy not cupid as in the french expression cupide... That must have sounded weird...sorry!

D

Last edited:

B-Man2

Let’s be candid, Anything that’s said here concerning ELCs continued price increases or their business practices is meaningless . This is simply a good place to vent and offer our opinions. While I wouldn’t consider buying anything new from ELC because of these price hikes that’s just my opinion . Others here feel differently and think that regardless of the price, ELC offers good value for the money . That doesn’t make either of us right or wrong. It’s just a difference in opinions .