• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PRE WWII IRVIN?????

spitfire

here are a couple of links to some pics of the irvin trousers with black sheepskin to be going along with.I do apologise for not posting more,only,as you can see,taking the photo's in natural light,everything turned out much too dark to see anything.I think you will still be able to conclude it's black wool though.i will start an irvin trousers thread and post some better pictures,using different lighting.

bt8.jpg

bt2.jpg

bt5.jpg

bt9.jpg

Roughwear

Very nice indeed Spitfire. The fleece is so like my jacket and the colour of the leather is identical. I suspect the main zips are Lightning. They appear to be mid War, like my Irvin, but what size are they?

Roughwear

BTW it's a great idea to start and Irvin trouser thread. I have three original pairs of Irvin flying trousers, one from 1939, and two others mid War. I have never taken photos of them for any forum, so this will be a first!

spitfire

yes andrew,the zips are lightning,and i noticed similarities to your jacket,including in the wool itself.i actually think that one of the zips was a modern replacement,as it snapped in my hand when i slightly pressed it in.perhaps even both are? there are a few seams that have obviously been replaced badly on them,as they are much too short,and a lot of the old stitch holes can be seen.it looks to me,like someone in the past sent them off to a company who do exact lightning zipper repro's,and got them to do the seams aswell.i will take a few pics of how awful some of the seams have been sewn back.
If,as i now suspect,the repair company replaced the original zips with equivelent modern replicas: lightning as is the case,( your jacket has lightning zippers aswell ),.... and judging our wool is incredibly similar,as well as your observation of the leather similarity,then these trousers most certainly must be the bottom part of your jacket andrew. :D

:shock: :eek: S-S-SPOOOOOOKY!!! :eek: :shock: :D

Roughwear

shanghai joe said:
a splendid idea..........an irvn section for all things irvin............etc etc

There is already a thread called "Everything Vintage Irvins" in the Vintage section. Irvin trousers could be added to it.

Roughwear

spitfire said:
yes andrew,the zips are lightning,and i noticed similarities to your jacket,including in the wool itself.i actually think that one of the zips was a modern replacement,as it snapped in my hand when i slightly pressed it in.perhaps even both are? there are a few seams that have obviously been replaced badly on them,as they are much too short,and a lot of the old stitch holes can be seen.it looks to me,like someone in the past sent them off to a company who do exact lightning zipper repro's,and got them to do the seams aswell.i will take a few pics of how awful some of the seams have been sewn back.
If,as i now suspect,the repair company replaced the original zips with equivelent modern replicas: lightning as is the case,( your jacket has lightning zippers aswell ),.... and judging our wool is incredibly similar,as well as your observation of the leather similarity,then these trousers most certainly must be the bottom part of your jacket andrew. :D

:shock: :eek: S-S-SPOOOOOOKY!!! :eek: :shock: :D

This is amazing! Perhaps they belonged with the jacket? The man who wore my Irvin was probably on the larger size as it's a size 5, so the size of the trousers would be helpful.

Roughwear

Spitfire, I am mistaken. I have two pictures of the very same pair of trousers in my Irvin folder. I think they were Ebay last year.

c128_1.jpg

c810_1.jpg

spitfire

yes andrew,the trousers in those two pictures are the exact pair i have.that must have been the auction i won.I have just compared the black wool trousers,next to the white wool trousers i have.they are both literally identical in size,length and width.the white wool irvin trousers are size 4 andrew.

Roughwear

They could have been issued with the jacket. i used to own a size 4 Irvin with size 5 trousers which were isued to the same guy. In reality I suspect several black fleece trousers were made as there were jackets. Of course most have not survived.

spitfire

yes andrew,i have heard mention of black wool irvins when i was an infant,from my grandfather and his friends.i forgot to post a couple of pics earlier of the one remaining zip on the trousers.here it is.

bt13.jpg

bt12.jpg

bt3.jpg

bt1.jpg

The lighting was so bad,i thought it best not to post the pics.but,i am sure now they will be good enough to have a good glance at,until i take better ones.

Roughwear

Spitfire, it's a shame the braces are missing. The leather zip pulls are very similar in shape and stitching to mine. My jacket is stitched with a light tan thread and I can see traces of a similar coloured one on your trousers, so the same maker is quite likely.

spitfire

Thank you andrew,yes it is a shame the braces are missing.both of my trousers have their braces missing.I have just spent all afternoon,in the sunshine,taking pictures of both trousers outside.I have also sent a PM to a moderator,asking where the best section in this forum will be,for us to start up an irvin trousers thread and discuss them ( i think it would be unfair on all jacket enthusiasts,if i posted pictures and discussed trousers in the irvin jackets threads,and in the jackets sections of the forum ).
If the moderators decide a thread on irvin trousers is permitable,in a jackets forum,and tell me which section to start one up in,i will let you know on this little ebay talk thread here.
I also took a photograph or two of the black wool irvin trousers,placed at the base of a pre war irvin jacket i have.the jacket is size 38 - 40 chest.also,i placed both white wool and black wool trousers on top of each other and took pictures of the width difference for you,so you may be able to get a better idea of the black wool trousers size ( seeing as they have no labels ).the white wool trousers seem to have wider thighs etc,and i hope the pictures manage to show the little minute differences for you andrew.
I was going to take a lot more,but a neighbours dog,who thinks he owns our garden,turned up and baraged me with '' who do you think you are?... bugger off!!! '' in his loud barking doggy language.so i shuffled off back inside,lacking any battle of britain spirit :oops: :( :D

Roughwear

Well I hope the Irvin anf trousers escaped the dog's teeth! Yes I would love to see the comparative pcitures. My trousers all have braces, but they can be a nuisance as they seem a tad too short on one pair which, apart from the braces. is a great fit on me. It must be because I have a relatively long upper body!

spitfire

Yes andrew,they did escape the little dogs teeth :D
I have just uploaded all the pictures i have taken, and started a new irvin trousers thread,in the RELATED GEAR section of this forum.most of the decent pictures are now in the new thread.

Roughwear

spitfire said:
Yes andrew,they did escape the little dogs teeth :D
I have just uploaded all the pictures i have taken, and started a new irvin trousers thread,in the RELATED GEAR section of this forum.most of the decent pictures are now in the new thread.

I am relieved about that and well done for starting the Irvin trouser thread. I will take some pics of mine and upload later.

spitfire

Thank you andrew.i really look forward to seeing your irvin trousers.I am sure they will be in much better,and more complete condition than mine.

Cliff

I have a very early ALC Irvin. I bought it in 1977 it was my first flight jacket and It looks very similar to this one. It was coated in bullet proof brown gunge that I eventually removed using acetone and sand paper [ 600 grit ]
Too small for me now when it looks the part, my wife wears it.

John
I have an repro Irvin with a similar brown gunge problem. I bought it off ebay a couple of years ago. Could you tell me how you used the acetone, (spray, soaked or gentle rubbing etc?) The jacket has a label in it marked "The Aviator" "Made in the United Kingdom" and apart from this strange "paint" on the hide is very accurate and well put together (even has the clips for the elastic collar strap) I have touted pictures of it around but no one has ever seen another like it. Its at least a UK size 48 maybe even a 50 and I would wear it more as I lover the colour of the fleece but the skin "paint" spoils the overall look. Any tips to remove the finish would be appreciated.

Regards

Cliff