• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PRE WWII IRVIN?????

Andrew

Yeah, that one caught my attention too. ALC was my first thought and my second was that he'd been reading some of your auctions! You'd need to see good shots of the details but I guesss this is as much as he'll give up. I certainly wouldn't take a chance on it as is.

shanghai joe

Ok back to basics........seller bought it 40 years ago and removed tags.........that makes it a 1960s purchase.

Nope he didn't reply my email.........speaks volumes.

silence can be deafening

Roughwear

People can be elastic with the time! I told him what sort of zips a pre-war Irvin should have, but he has not replied. I may well report him to Ebay for listing an which is misleadingly described!

John Lever

I have a very early ALC Irvin. I bought it in 1977 it was my first flight jacket and It looks very similar to this one. It was coated in bullet proof brown gunge that I eventually removed using acetone and sand paper [ 600 grit ]
Too small for me now when it looks the part, my wife wears it.
IMGP1641.jpg

IMGP1642.jpg

IMGP1643.jpg

Roughwear

Thanks for posting these pics John. Without the label is could easily pass for an original. Yes it looks like the one on Ebay.

rich

It may not be intentional duplicity - ALC have done a pretty good job convincing the unwary/disinterested
that their product is the real deal, plus that wretched misplaced label can always be used to clinch
the 'authenticity' debate. Is it possible that ALC were making these in 1968 though? The label is usually shown on
these occasions, with a touching deference.
The plumpness of the cuffs has to be the best give-away in this shot though. (I used to own - with some pride -
an Avirex A2, only because I didn't know any better..........
Anyway, what kind of nut would pay £1000+ for some relic from the 30's? :lol:

Jamesp

rich said:
Is it possible that ALC were making these in 1968 though?

Alc started making their Irvins in 1977. Says so on their web site.

If this is a pre-war Irvin I shall eat my pre-war Irvin with a nice chianti.

rich

Roughwear said:
rich said:
Anyway, what kind of nut would pay £1000+ for some relic from the 30's? :lol:
Several people seemingly, judging by the bidding on my mid 30s Irvin! :)

I'd be one of them if I had the spare wonga Andrew. Glad it did well for you!

spitfire

When i saw that jacket,i immediately knew,simply by the modern fleece on the collar.that clown should be reported.i know one thing,i am blacklisting him from my list of people to buy from.

Roughwear

spitfire said:
When i saw that jacket,i immediately knew,simply by the modern fleece on the collar.that clown should be reported.i know one thing,i am blacklisting him from my list of people to buy from.

Spitfire, have you reported him to Ebay? I have, but the listing has not been pulled.

spitfire

not yet andrew.i have just this minute finished taking pictures of a grenfell double breasted trenchcoat and a pair of irvin flying trousers.i will do that now.by the way,the irvin flying trousers i have,are made of black wool,like your wonderful unique jacket.perhaps,they are the second part of your jacket's suit?

Andrew

spitfire said:
not yet andrew.i have just this minute finished taking pictures of a grenfell double breasted trenchcoat and a pair of irvin flying trousers.i will do that now.by the way,the irvin flying trousers i have,are made of black wool,like your wonderful unique jacket.perhaps,they are the second part of your jacket's suit?

Jackets yes but I wasn't aware black Irvin trousers existed - don't suppose they still have the label Spit? The trousers tended to keep their labels longer than the jackets.