• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

POST-WAR RE-ISSUED ROUGH WEAR 23380 TYPE A-2 (B-26 INVADER)

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Gents,

It’s been awhile but today I wanted to share a re-issued A-2, made by Rough Wear contract 23380. This is one example of only 12,000 made under this specific contract awarded in 1941.

This jacket was most likely worn in WWII and re-issued in the post-war, possibly during the Korean War.

Inside liner shows also names and initials from the two previous owners: “JC BRYANT” and “R.A.B 816208”.

The condition is great. The leather is extremely supple and the poly-acrylate lacquer has started to flake off over the years developing an amazing patina, giving that “been there, done that” look.

The knits are original to the jacket. Both cuffs have some holes but they don’t compromise the performance when wearing the jacket.

Original M-41 Crown zipper working perfectly.

Left chest shows ghost stitchings from 2 different name tags removed at some point.

Left shoulder depicts a color printed U.S. AIR FORCE logo.

The back depicts a beautifully hand-painted USAF B-26 Invader dropping a bomb.

Say no more guys, hope you enjoy it!

Regards,
Jorge
9187F665-0C25-46A4-B334-A860EB93B45A.jpeg
4454985D-57AC-457C-A157-68D6969938CB.jpeg
E2372266-BC4C-4203-9EE4-D3FEB9FCCC84.jpeg
B62A2383-D474-4A14-A88F-696BB5FCA896.jpeg
C3AD831C-428A-43A3-BE33-91146CA05A8F.jpeg
2063CEA6-E46B-46C6-A5A3-E3F259EA9EF6.jpeg

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Thank you guys! I gotta admit that painted jackets are my weakness.... I wish I have had more info about the original owner, but the B-26 is good enough for me.

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

ahhhh, yes recently of greedbay. I gave it some thought myself, but decided to let it pass. ya got your self a very nice rw, at a super nice price, Jorge. congrats.
I totally agree with you Vic! It was sold last year for almost twice on an auction (I was following it that time, but got outbidded last minute. This time she made her way to me.

blackrat2

That’s another nice looking jacket Jorge
Was it in better shape than you imagined when it arrived or do you buy knowing that the occasional one is “not as described “

mulceber

No stupid questions, @MrBlue. Yeah, in 1943-44, the USAAF decided they didn’t like having this wide variety of colors in their flight jackets, and didn’t like how grimy russet jackets could look after scrambling around in a plane, so they ordered that all jackets that hadn’t already been issued should be re-dyed a uniform dark seal color. There was still a lot of variety in color, but most of the re-dyed jackets were almost black, like McQueen’s jacket in the Great Escape.

Last edited:

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

That’s another nice looking jacket Jorge
Was it in better shape than you imagined when it arrived or do you buy knowing that the occasional one is “not as described “
In this specific case I had detailed pictures from the first owner (VLJ member), and the condition matched with the ones listed on ebay, so I had a pretty good idea, but honestly it exceeded the expectations in condition and fitting.

Members online

Latest posts