• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Portuguese officer's leather jacket

gubbio

Hi, I thought I'd share this Portuguese military leather jacket. This model has been authorized wear by army officers since at least the 1970s and probably earlier. It's a simple, distinctive design that is not obviously derivative, in my opinion. The interesting thing is that it isn't a flight jacket at all. The Portuguese flight jackets look similar to an A-2 but with a knit collar -- a little cheesy, in my opinion. And the Portuguese army has recently introduced a new model leather jacket, but it too looks too much like a civilianized A-2. This model, however, is unmistakably military, with clean, solid lines, and a classic look.

9bd9b169.jpg

gubbio

No, no lower pockets or wind flap. I guess that in that respect it's not very utilitarian -- but then again neither is the original A-2 or G-1. It does have straps and buckles on the sides to cinch up the waist, though...