• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Platon's J.A. Dubow 27798, Size 44 from Greece

Lebowski

You might not want to sell to this guy.
Here's what JC writes about 27798 on his site:

"The pocket position is also interesting, as Dubow would often position them with even spacing from the cut edge of the wind flap, not the zipper."

And that's about last Dubow's 1755:

"Dubow's last A-2 contract dates to late 1943. They have the same pattern as earlier Dubow A-2 contracts (23379, 27798) with the simple collar design, and have pockets centered by the zipper, unlike some earlier Dubows which have imbalanced pocket position (the wind flap pocket tends to be much closer to the vertical seam of the body)."

So, it looks like both options (zipper centered or windflap centered pockets) are correct for original Dubow A-2's, it actually depends on specific contracts.

P.S. Juanito, congrats with your very nice purchase! Very like this jacket!

Lebowski

I suppose that Platon knowingly has made pockets being zipper centered, just for more balanced appearance of the jacket possibly.

Lebowski

Here are some photos of original 27798 wearers (from JC site).
Pockets were definitely windflap centered on original 27798.
But - then again - Andrew's original 27798 has zipper centered pockets according to Andrew's very detailed photos.
So, looks like both options (zipper centered and windflap centered) are correct for this Dubow 27798.
It proves once again that Platon has made a great work, in all respects: leather, accuracy, etc.
Gentlemen, I want to buy this jacket from Platon! His work looks just superb in its every tiny detail, esp. for such moderate price of his jacket.

WWII_Dubow1.jpg
WWII_Dubow3.jpg
WWII_Dubow2.jpg

Last edited:

Technonut2112

Platon's Dubow 27798 is a significant offering for the budget-restricted in our 'hobby'. For those who can work with the sizing, it finally places an actual contract A-2 repro of comparable quality / details as the 'upper tier' manufacturers within reach, and on our backs. I thoroughly enjoy my previously-owned 'top shelf' A-2's, but it will be SO much nicer to break-in a jacket to my own body from the start, and make it truly mine... ;)

If Platon can keep this up, and possibly introduce other contracts in the future, I wonder how it will affect the overall market? Can it make enough impact to lower the lofty, ever-increasing pricing of other manufacturers?

Last edited:

B-Man2

I agree with all of the positive things mentioned in this thread.
My only questionable comment is that he needs to tweek his jacket measurements a bit, as they seem a bit short on the back end and a bit narrow in the shoulders. (talking about sizes 46 and 48).

Thomas Koehle

If there's one thing I've learned in this crazy hobby is there are no absolutes when it comes to original A-2 construction within the same contract.

I’m with you!

Actually even in today’s mass-production you have a lot of deviations from an initial standard over a production period and I could imagine in wartime ( time of material shortages / high demand of equipment/ ...) it was even more difficult to strictly keep up with certain standards so only a few really took care about the position of a pocket on the millimeter

Technonut2112

I agree with all of the positive things mentioned in this thread.
My only questionable comment is that he needs to tweek his jacket measurements a bit, as they seem a bit short on the back end and a bit narrow in the shoulders. (talking about sizes 46 and 48).

From what I remember when I was here back when Platon was active, he was VERY passionate about the details, and sadly for some, will probably stick to what he considers to be the 'proper' sizing scale of the original 27798 patterned from in his possession. Even if he would 'tweak' the sizing, there is still no way to please everyone. I believe that his success in this project will hinge upon strictly sticking to what he considers 'proper', with no deviations. Hopefully I'm wrong, but again, there will be those 'left out' no matter what he does..

Last edited:

Juanito

Platon's Dubow 27798 is a significant offering for the budget-restricted in our 'hobby'. For those who can work with the sizing, it finally places an actual contract A-2 repro of comparable quality / details as the 'upper tier' manufacturers within reach, and on our backs. I thoroughly enjoy my previously-owned 'top shelf' A-2's, but it will be SO much nicer to break-in a jacket to my own body from the start, and make it truly mine... ;)

If Platon can keep this up, and possibly introduce other contracts in the future, I wonder how it will affect the overall market? Can it make enough impact to lower the lofty, ever-increasing pricing of other manufacturers?
Two comment: I have doubts he could keep up if he is a one man show. Secondarily, I would agree with Ken from Aero; it will be impossible to keep the cost @ 450 Euros if quality and place of manufacture remains the same.

Unfortunately, Platon is running into problems after only a month if he can't get russet leather until December as I think was mentioned here somewhere.

Greg Gale

Agreed, he won't be able to keep it at 450 EUR, and even if he could, he wouldn't. With such a high demand, considering it's a one man show... Whoever wants one of these, buy it NOW.

Teddy

And thus some of us come to the same conclusion that Ken proposed on the first two pages!

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Technonut2112

I don't keep up with international economics, but Nakata Shoten in Japan has managed to keep their chrome-tanned HH 'Morgan Memphis Belle' A-2 at $430.00 USD for quite some time. Not an actual contract repro, but has high armholes, relatively slender sleeves, and an overall period-accurate pattern. I realize that their jackets are factory produced with some cost-reducing materials utilized, but even if Platon can ultimately settle-in at $800.00 USD or a bit under consistently, It would surely have an effect on the high-end market as we now know it.

It's a certainty that demand will increase for Platon's jackets. If the detail and quality remains what it is now, and different contracts are introduced, I don't think folks would mind a 'reasonable' extended wait for them, even if the price did increase to $800.00 USD. ;)

EDIT: As usual, I've totally discounted Shaul Dover at U.S. Authentic.. Not period accurate, but a made-in-the-USA HH A-2 jacket for $529.00 USD. Want more accurate features, and made-to-measure? One can have it for $689.00 USD. Hell, Shaul will even use whatever hides one wishes to send him to make a jacket. He does excellent work / repairs, and IIRC, had something to do with jacket production at Willis & Geiger in the past....... https://flightjacket.com/

I was toying with getting a 'Waldo Pepper' made over at BK, but may have Shaul make one for me here in the States. He started a 'slender' jacket line-up which includes 'The Baron':

https://www.usauthentic.com/a-1-jacket.html

I was quoted $625.00 USD for one in vintage goat, cotton lining, 100% wool cuffs, made-to-measure, customized with smaller 'classic' A-1 pockets, and an A-2 collar with stand, as on the Waldo Pepper film jacket. :cool:

Given the above, is it beyond the realm of possibility that Platon can continue his current business model? ;)

*EDIT*: Well, the 'Baron' won't be flying home anytime soon... He just got shot-down by a 'Battered Goldsmith LE' over in Ken's thread. :p:D

Last edited:

Otter

Sounds suspiciously like one shift measuring things differently from another shift ! And the inspectors going "Hey, it's still a jacket."

Whatsit

I’ve been in contact with Platon and he seems proud of the fact that he can keep the price low. I wager to say that just maybe he’s still making a profit with only selling at €450. But this is just my own opinion. I hope he can keep it down because a guy like me could never justify spending $1000 plus on a jacket. These are just my own opinion of course.
Mike

Whatsit

I just placed my order too. Platon says he has about 5 seal orders in front of me. Starting back to work Sept 1 from his holiday. I can’t wait. Platon said he’d get in touch before starting the jacket to double check the measurements. I thought that was nice.
Those also waiting please let us know when you start getting your seal tan ones.

B-Man2

I just placed my order too. Platon says he has about 5 seal orders in front of me. Starting back to work Sept 1 from his holiday. I can’t wait. Platon said he’d get in touch before starting the jacket to double check the measurements. I thought that was nice.
Those also waiting please let us know when you start getting your seal tan ones.

Mike
Congrats!
Don’t forget to post some pictures of it when it arrives.