• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Platon's J.A. Dubow 27798, Size 44 from Greece

Silver Surfer

aha. thanx for the clarification. reckon that i am used to the faded lighter purplish brown knits on originals. going back to the pix, i can see that the knits do indeed, have a tint of purple in them. also, the knits look to be spot on for weight and weave. hell, ya got me going, and im going to shoot platon an email inquiring about the eta.

Juanito

If the size 44 is a touch tight for you but as you mention you have gained a few extra pounds recently and hope to get back down to that more trimmer appearance you prefer, why would you order another jacket but this time in a size 46 ?
Ha ha. Now where is the incentive to lose the weight !
Enjoy the new jacket.

LOL! Isn't that the truth. Mainly, in that I live in Oregon where it is wet and cold, and I tend to wear a very heavy sweat shirt (think Champion) under the jacket for about 8-9 months of the year and half the time I am riding a motorcycle.

Last edited:

zoomer

It’s one guy making these AIUI. He’s bound to take or put 1/4” here and there. Especially if he’s used to thinking in metric.

Interesting that it’s not considered nosey to ask a wearer his waist size, but asking a maker the waist size of a jacket is a different thing! You don't want the public knowing the proportions of your pattern well enough to shop around on that level!

Last edited:

Juanito

That looks great! Good fit too by the looks and the russet colour on my monitor looks very tasty.

Now wear it like you hate it!

Always! I make no bones about not being kind to my jackets; for the most part I wear them as they were to be worn.

Officer Dibley

The hide looks like a new version of a Diamond combat worn steer i just got from B-man2. If it is, you are a lucky man so enjoy your jacket.

Attachments

• IMG_9116.JPG
    IMG_9116.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 533
  • IMG_9121.JPG
    IMG_9121.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 559
Last edited:

Tom Bowers

Juanito, if you don't mind my asking All told how much was the jacket with shipping and import

A lot of the jackets on the forum here sound reasonable until you try to get them delivered and the cost skyrockets

I really like it however, the look is fantastic

Tom Bowers

Juanito

The hide looks like a new version of a Diamond combat worn steer i just got from B-man2. If it is, you are a lucky man so enjoy your jacket.

View attachment 8318

View attachment 8319
No, absolutely not. That is the same cowhide my DD Cable was made from and twoare not even remotely similar.

The aniline finish of the DD cracks like "antiqued" paint when new. It is extremely thin and wears off like crazy.

Here is a link when I sold it:

http://www.vintageleatherjackets.or...coat-41-10008p-a-2-size-46.18971/#post-174247

Here's the link when it was new:

http://www.vintageleatherjackets.or...amond-clothing-co-cable-a-2-42-10008-p.18314/

Juanito

Juanito, if you don't mind my asking All told how much was the jacket with shipping and import

A lot of the jackets on the forum here sound reasonable until you try to get them delivered and the cost skyrockets

I really like it however, the look is fantastic

Tom Bowers

Total cost was $614 at the exchange rate on 8/24. There were no import charges.

Technonut2112

Last edited:

Juanito

Thanks for putting me right.

I hope you shrink into your new jacket. She's a beaut'.

That DD was lovely too

Please do not get me wrong, there is nothing inferior about DD quality or the leather, per se; I just found the finish of the leather lacking when compared to an original. That said, if someone is looking for something that grains up immediately, has incredible character, and wears off fast for that 50 mission look, it is a great leather for that. It just depends on what the owner is looking for.

Thomas Koehle

Seems i’m the only one again who does not get which company the jacket is from?

The russet looks far better than the AVI russet and the shape of the jacket looks like is made just for you!

Thomas

Lebowski

You might not want to sell to this guy.
1. the box stitch on the hanger seems a little large
2. the pockets are centered on the zipper, not the windflap

Anyone who has owned original Dubow A-2's - could you make it clear please: are original Dubow A-2s have the same features?

Lebowski

Thank you very much Andrew!
To my sight (very detailed photos, thanks again!) it looks like original Dubow 27798 A-2 has:
"1. the box stitch on the hanger seems a little large" - YES (on original - they're quite big too)
"2. the pockets are centered on the zipper, not the windflap" - NO (on original - the pockets are windflap centered)
Correct?

P.S. Corrected - on Andrew's photos of original 27798 pockets definitely look like zipper centered too. So, Platon's 27798 is a very very accurately made repro, no doubts.

Last edited:

Teddy

I think the pockets are centered on zipper on Andrew's original jacket as well?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Lebowski

DSC_0025_zps336a162b.jpg
I think the pockets are centered on zipper on Andrew's original jacket as well?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Well, that's a question.
(hope Andrew allow to post a photo of original one above).

P.S. Corrected: According to the photo above - yes, zipper centered pockets definitely.

Last edited: