• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Platon's J.A. Dubow 27798, Size 44 from Greece

Juanito

Much has been discussed about this jacket, 20 pages worth before anyone has seen one. I believe I am the first on the forum to actually own one.

One of the issues that was posted in the other thread was wait time for manufacturing and then shipping. Here's my timelime. jacket ordered on July 24th, e-mail from Platon on August 7 letting me know it had shipped; delivered (I was away on vacation) on August 13.

Here are the photos:

Now for the nitty gritty; measurements, details and impressions:

For reference I am 5' 8" and right now weigh 180 lbs--the most I have ever weighed. Usually, I am about 165 lbs and 150 when I am in good shape and exercising on a regular basis but for a number of reasons I have blimped up over the past year. I wear a 42 suit and a 15 1/2 to 16 x 34 dress shirt and have a 35" waist that is usually 34."

One note: I have purchased a number of Good Wear jackets. Typically, jackets that fit John fit me perfectly, I think mainly due to wide shoulders.

Jacket Measurements:
Chest front: 23.5"
Shoulders: 17.5" (This seems narrow to me for a size 44 jacket)
Back from base of collar to waistband: 20.5"
Front, entire windflap: 22.5"
Sleeve from epaulet to cuff: 22.5"

I used the measurements from Platon's site and it landed me right in the middle iof the 44 range. Typicall I have been buying size 46 A-2s, but for some reason chose a 44 here. It fits just like my original Perry A-2s in the way the shoulders square up and through the torso as well as the Good Wear 1401 Werber I owned and the Eastmant 1402-P War Horse jacket I also owned, both size 44.

The jacket is a little tight as expected--I could not wear a sweatshirt under it but it is not uncomfortable with a t-shirt. After I get back into shape, it will most likely fit just fine

The Jacket Itself
Please note: While I have owned dozens of originals over the 30+ years I have been into A-2s, I have never owned a Dubow, so I can only compare it to what I have seen but not owned.

Secondarily, from a marketing standpoint I suppose this would be considered a 2nd tier jacket due to pricing, so inevitably I will make reference to the Diamond Dave Cable I owned a few years ago. So here we go...

For 450 Euros, or $515 at today's exchange rate, in terms of overall fit, feel, and quality of materials this jacket blows away anything in that price range. It is wholly on par with the Eastman and Aero jackets I have and are very similar in terms of overall feel of the leather.

Given that a US Authentic jacket retails for something like $600, US Wings is around $500 and my Diamond Dave Cable was cowhide for $985, there is simply no reason to consider the others.

The seams are straight and true, the pattern appears to be a reasonable copy (although the pockets are centered on the zipper, not the windflap) and the leather feels dense with a good firmness to it, very slightly heavier than the Eastman .50 cal and the Aero I have.

The snaps are black United Carr nipple snaps, the zipper is a cotton taped Talon. The label is very accurate frm what I can tell and there is a pocket size tag. The cuff and waistband are almost certainly 100% wool and are far more robust that that on my Eastman jacket. There was some discussion regarding the thread color which in reality is neither olive nor fully tan but kind of splits the two colors if you can imagine that.

The lining is very nice and I do not think it will have any tendency to pill as did the Diamond Dave lining in the Cable.

The color is a little light for original russet jackets I have seen but only very slightly. The only place the jacket comes up short in my opinion is durability of the finish, but it scuffs just like an Aero, Eastman, or Good Wear semi-aniline finished jacket--zero difference and typical of high end reproductions. In fact, the leather is very similar to the leather on the Good Wear Rough Wear 1401-P jacket I had a couple of years ago.

The only other odd thing is that the box stitch on the hanger seems a little large, but again, not excessively so and I do not have an original to compare.

Would I buy another--yes, in fact I just ordered a 46 in seal. I am not in the habit of buying new repros; I almost always buy used in the secondary market, but at the price and quality, and the fact that the Dubow is one of my favorite contracts with the collar shape and pocket shape, it is a no brainer.

I would whole heartedly recommend this jacket, and in all honesty, it can compete without reservation with $1,000+ Aeros, Eastmans, and the Diamond Dave jackets all day long--in fact I think this is a far superior jacket to the Diamond Dave Dubow from the photos I have seen, particularly in terms of the distinctive collar point.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Juanito;

My first impression is that the jacket looks pretty nice for the money.
However, I'd like to hear your first impression of the jacket.

Technonut2112

The jacket looks OUTSTANDING for the $$ to me. For that matter, it looks as good as any high-end repro costing $1000.00+ from what I'm seeing in both looks, and fit. There is simply NO other original contract repro available anywhere using Italian HH, and other premium materials for the $$. IMO, this is THE BEST A-2 jacket deal (for those who fall within available sizes) of recent years.

Wear it in good health Juanito! :cool:

EDIT: Even the best Chinese original contract A-2 repros I've found (which can easily be ordered) supposedly using similar materials are over $600.00 USD + shipping.

Man, I'll bet the contrast between the seal I'm getting and the knits will look awesome! I really can't wait till next month now. It will be an early Christmas for me this year for sure. :D

tenor.gif

outstanding.jpg

Last edited:

Technonut2112

Juanito, what are your actual measurements including waist size / height & weight?

EDIT: Thanks for adding that info to your review above... Very helpful. :)

Last edited:

stanier

So where does this jacket fall down next to any of the other high end makers? If at all?

Greg Gale

Amazing! I also like the russet color, looks darker (better) than on some other pics. You nailed the fit too.

Technonut2112

I could not wear a sweatshirt under it but it is not uncomfortable with a t-shirt. After I get back into shape, it will most likely fit just fine

THIS is great info for me.. Thanks! I enjoy wearing vintage-styled sweatshirts or a C-2 sweater under my A-2's for extended winter wear. I'm a bit taller than you, and weigh close to the same. Platon is on some kind of holiday until next month (the reason mine hasn't arrived yet), and I just shot-off an email for him to change my order from a 44 to 46. It was nice seeing your pics wearing the jacket to really nail-down my fit. ;)

EDIT: I just noticed that you also went for a 46 on your 2nd seal order.. :)

Last edited:

Technonut2112

So where does this jacket fall down next to any of the other high end makers? If at all?

Would I buy another--yes, in fact I just ordered a 46 in seal. I am not in the habit of buying new repros; I almost always buy used in the secondary market, but at the price and quality, and the fact that the Dubow is one of my favorite contracts with the collar shape and pocket shape, it is a no brainer.

I would whole heartedly recommend this jacket, and in all honesty, it can compete without reservation with $1,000+ Aeros, Eastmans, and the Diamond Dave jackets all day long--in fact I think this is a far superior jacket to the Diamond Dave Dubow from the photos I have seen, particularly in terms of the distinctive collar point.

stanier

Got that Technonut, but getting to the heart of the matter I’m waiting for the observations from the Goodwear devotees and original handlers! They’ll be along soon!;)

Technonut2112

Got that Technonut, but getting to the heart of the matter I’m waiting for the observations from the Goodwear devotees and original handlers! They’ll be along soon!;)

I see... Exactly how many GW's does it take to be a 'devotee'? I've owned 4.... (no Dubows however)

Cocker

Looks like a really great jacket, especially for that price. I wonder if they are going to consider custom orders.

stanier

I see... Exactly how many GW's does it take to be a 'devotee'? I've owned 4.... (no Dubows however)

Don’t care how many really, they’re lovely lovely jackets, but carry an eye watering lead time, IMO. Btw, I’ve owned a GW Dubow and loved it.

However, it’s very nice to see a new high end maker without a long wait and hope they get the get the comments this lovely jacket warrants.

Persimmon

If the size 44 is a touch tight for you but as you mention you have gained a few extra pounds recently and hope to get back down to that more trimmer appearance you prefer, why would you order another jacket but this time in a size 46 ?
Ha ha. Now where is the incentive to lose the weight !
Enjoy the new jacket.

Brettafett

I think that looks very smart Juanito. For the price, its hard to flaw... I like the fit on you and also the colour.
I do find the 17.5 shoulders strange for the 44. Platon told me a 40 had 17.5 shoulders and the 42 had 18 shoulders... Anyway... it fits, and thats the NB thing.
Looking forward to seeing how this wears in after some time...

Silver Surfer

hot damn, that one looks sweet. and the fit looks right on. by my monitor, the knits appear to be brown. are they? i ask because i asked the purpleish brown knits for my dubow. anyhoo, in terms of bang for the buck, your bk dubow looks as good as ANY offered, at any price.....and blows away the lesser tier repros. ya dun gun on that one, real gud.