• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Platon Dubow seal?

Officer Dibley

Platon's jackets look great value for money.
But i'm still only seeing a homogeneous grain/pattern all over the jacket and no character, jerky, smooth & gnarly areas.
I s'pose that's what the extra money buys you with ELC & GW.
And before everyone jumps up and down howling at me, i appreciate 1 weeks wear is nothing and that the jacket presumably looks better in the flesh but i only have the photos to go on. My GW's and ELC's looked smokin' right out of the box.
It all has a bit of a feel of The Emperors New Clothes to me.
Overall a great jacket and about as much better than the issue A-2 as you might expect for the cost difference.
And i am truly happy that new Platon owners are happy, at least for now.
Now let's see the russet version please as i prefer that to seal all day long !
Cheers
Dave

Brettafett

Looks great. I see a lot of character and grain in these pics... Should wear in and develop beautifully.

Out of interest. Should Platon decide to offer another Dubow contract, what would you like to see?
Personally, I'd vote for a 20960

Whatsit

Here’s a shot this morning

Attachments

• 14D7F2E1-ABC4-48C3-82C6-6AEE79E7EEFE.jpeg
    14D7F2E1-ABC4-48C3-82C6-6AEE79E7EEFE.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 412

B-Man2

You are rockin that A2 buddy!
Really like the Dice pulls......... Hey!
Wait a minute...,are those my dice pulls??:eek::)

Brettafett

I have just received my Seal Dubow 42. First impressions are very good. The quality is tops, I like the seal horsehide... For what ones pay... well, its a fantastic buy!
I have not had much time to inspect it properly. Fit-wise... It fits well enough, but I am not used to this pattern... Slightly narrower shoulders, slightly wider waist... Similar to a Star maybe.
Will review and post pics when I get a chance.

stanier

Can’t wait to see the pics Brettafett!

Are they still using that slightly pebbly almost goat like horse?

What’s the lead time like on these now?

Generally, people always seem to say what great jackets they are, but always seem to follow with the caveat of “at the price”. The question for me is how do they stack up against a GW, ELC etc. Without the price factor. I’ve learned over the years that I’m one of those people where compromise usually niggles, so I’m keen to know, if these Platon jackets were the same price as ELC / GW and even BK, what would the view be then? I wish Platon could still post here and get his direct input, however contravercial.

Cheers

Chris

Brettafett

Hey Chris,
Not had much time to inspect, but its a doozy!
The leather is not overly pebbly, I really like it though. There are slight variations in hue across panels, adding some character.
As for comparisons... I have to say that I feel this jacket compares very well with ELC, BK and even GW... Honestly from first impression, I cannot say any of these are 'better' or 'worse'.
Platon's Dubow is certainly top-tier, as far as these others are top tier. How he is offering them at this price point, I have no idea.
The quality looks fantastic, workmanship is neat and tidy, components and bits all appear higher grade. Pattern is, well, as authentic as possible, being copied off an original.
So, yes. Its a good jacket. Not sure of timings, but mine took unusually long, but then I was not pushing...
(ps got to inspect and try on a new BK Dubow 1755 a couple of weeks ago, and let me say, its one of the best repro A-2s I have ever seen. Having owned GW, ELC, Aeros everything, this jacket was easily on par with anything. The seal liberty is amazing and looks like a 'new' original WW2 jacket).

Flightengineer

I have just received my Seal Dubow 42. First impressions are very good. The quality is tops, I like the seal horsehide... For what ones pay... well, its a fantastic buy!
I have not had much time to inspect it properly. Fit-wise... It fits well enough, but I am not used to this pattern... Slightly narrower shoulders, slightly wider waist... Similar to a Star maybe.
Will review and post pics when I get a chance.

Looking forward, Brett.

johnwayne

It that as dark a seal as it appears from the pics? To the best of my knowledge I didn't think Dubow did a seal, or certainly not as dark as that appears, apart perhaps as a re-dye? Sorry don't wish to appear to be picky from what looks a nice repro just an observation based on what I see!

Brettafett

No worries, everything is an opinion anyway.
Ive only seen an original myself in a museum behind glass, 27798 or 1755 not sure, but probably 27798. And it was a light seal, mid brown... Not russet and not dark.
This one is mid brown, certainly not dark, its fit in the ball park with ELC's seal warhorse and BK's Seal Liberty, maybe a touch lighter...

Brettafett

What I recon my issue is going to be is the Dubow pattern.
I am a V-frame type... Broader shoulders, narrow waist, trim torso (Roughwears and Broncos seem to fit well)....
This pattern, like the Monarch seems to me to be slightly more A-shaped... Slightly narrower shoulders, slightly wider waist, torso not as trim...
This is a personal thing...

Lebowski

You might not want to sell to this guy.
I'd say Monarch rather has more H-shape than A-shape, has long torso and is quite trim fitted everywhere.