• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Platon Dubow seal?

zoomer

Has anyone seen, or can anyone post, a picture of one?
Or is color yet another detail one is expected to trust to luck at EUR450?

Technonut2112

Has anyone seen, or can anyone post, a picture of one?
Or is color yet another detail one is expected to trust to luck at EUR450?

When I placed my order on eBay early last month, I was given a choice between the seal, to be shipped by the end of this month, or a russet even later. I chose the seal. Although I haven't seen it, I do trust Platon's hide selection (especially after seeing the russet) enough to have a reasonable expectation of being pleased.

Last edited:

Officer Dibley

What is your upper limit on money you are prepared to pay with only a "reasonable expectation of being pleased" ?
Different for everyone of course but for me that limit is measured in tens of rather than hundreds of pounds. But then again, i am Rather fussy when it comes to spending my hard earned cash. And perhaps i am more of a cynic than you. Having been disappointed in the past more than once o_O
I admire your optimism ! :D

Technonut2112

What is your upper limit on money you are prepared to pay with only a "reasonable expectation of being pleased" ?
Different for everyone of course but for me that limit is measured in tens of rather than hundreds of pounds. But then again, i am Rather fussy when it comes to spending my hard earned cash. And perhaps i am more of a cynic than you. Having been disappointed in the past more than once o_O
I admire your optimism ! :D

Whatever my limit is shouldn't, and doesn't concern you in the least.. ;) My placing the order for the amount I did is evidence enough regarding my trust in Platon's selection. I read his posts here years ago, and found him to be quite detail-oriented, and knowledgeable about what would be a 'proper' seal HH for his Dubow...

zoomer

Aaaand what do you think he thinks that would be? Kinda deep chocolate? Navy goat? Black coffee?

Technonut2112

Aaaand what do you think he thinks that would be? Kinda deep chocolate? Navy goat? Black coffee?

In the sense that he would choose a hide / seal consistent with originals he has handled..

EDIT: I do know for certain that going by the sample Dubow on his site, Juanito's outstanding russet reviewed here, and a positive eBay feedback from another satisfied customer, I have little doubt that I will be pleased.. :) Gotta play if you expect to win..;)

EDIT: I suppose I share the same faith in Platon's unseen seal choice as Juanito.... ;) :

Would I buy another--yes, in fact I just ordered a 46 in seal....

Last edited:

Juanito

Given the jacket I got from Platon, I would put nearly 100% faith in the seal jacket. And as mentioned before at €450 how can you go wrong? For what one would lose buying a Good Wear they weren't 100% satisfied with, you could throw away the Platon jacket and lose less money.

Last edited:

Pilot

Given the jacket I got from Platon, I would put nearly 100% faith in the seal jacket. And as mentioned before at €450 how can you go wrong? For what one would lose buying a Good Wear they weren't 100% satisfied with, you could throw away the Platon jacket and lose less money.
I “threw away “ via posts on VLJ, a DD A-2 and a BK A-2, but never a GW.
For both “ threw aways” 1600 Euro loss in total.

Pilot

I believe you throw away a lot of other jackets prior throwing away a GW Dubow or any other of John’s jackets.

8AC31919-5331-4D5E-AD91-137AFA571DCB.jpeg
2F51D702-9065-4FBE-827E-A0FFF31EA3AC.jpeg

Attachments

• DD6FD946-CD89-4E96-988F-FD045733EF42.jpeg
    DD6FD946-CD89-4E96-988F-FD045733EF42.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 329

Technonut2112

Odd that a russet GW shows up in a thread regarding the shade of seal that Platon will be using.. Nice jacket, but Platon's Dubow at $500.00 USD is an ABSOLUTE STEAL in comparison to a $1500.00 jacket.. ;) I suppose that's why I'm wondering how the GW figures-in at all for this thread... and it doesn't... :confused:

Last edited:

Pilot

Odd that a GW shows up in a thread regarding the shade of seal that Platon will be using.. Nice jacket, but Platon's Dubow at $500.00 USD is an ABSOLUTE STEAL in comparison to a $1500.00 jacket.. ;)
Sorry it was about what to maybe throw away...certainly never a GW.
Apologies if I misunderstood.

Last edited:

Technonut2112

Hopefully, Platon will be shipping my jacket within a couple of weeks to unlock the 'shade of seal mystery'.. I'm not sure how many he has sold in seal to date, but I'm pretty sure that I will be receiving the first one on this forum to show pics... :)

Last edited:

Brettafett

For what its worth, I received these samples from Platon. I really do like the seal. The photo gives a good idea, but does not show the true colours exactly. The thickness is very close to all my Eastman samples for example. Of the two, I prefer the seal. Its a rich chocolate brown and spot in imho.
I would have ordered one of these, IF they were available in long sizes. As it is, Platon explained that they are having to keep it simple, by-the-book regular sizing. I am jealous of anyone getting one of these jackets. For the price... can't be beat!
Dubowmfg samples.jpg

Technonut2112

Damn, that's some nice looking seal.. :) I'm REALLY looking forward to mine arriving now. :D Thanks for posting the pic! :)

EDIT:
Gotta play if you expect to win..

From the looks of that seal sample, and Platon's excellent patterning from originals, it appears that my 'blind' faith wasn't misplaced.. The seal Dubow from all indications is going to be a true WINNER!! ;) :cool:

Last edited:

zoomer

Nice! Reminds me of my heavy-squeaky-stiff Lost Worlds Dubow. (I loved the color and grain, just didn't dare wear it to a lecture or concert hall.)

Officer Dibley

Hopefully, Platon will be shipping my jacket within a couple of weeks to unlock the 'shade of seal mystery'.. I'm not sure how many he has sold in seal to date, but I'm pretty sure that I will be receiving the first one on this forum to show pics... :)

Whilst it isn't a competition (is it ?), i appreciate you being the willing guinea pig for the rest of us. Your jacket and your opinion of it will affect who will get my next order for an A-2. Your "fussiness" means if you are reasonably happy with it, i'll be ecstatic :D