• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Platon Dubow seal?

Whatsit

PayPal customer service phone for USA 1-888-221-1161
PayPal customer service phone for Europe and Great Britain 08443851333

Technonut2112

It's 180 days for PayPal purchases to file a dispute. Feel free to call them... I have eBay Buyer Protection to boot. It really doesn't concern anyone who hasn't placed an order with Platon anyway.. I know I'm not concerned in the least. I knew what I was getting into when I made the purchase..

Brettafett

It should NOT be this complicated to buy a jacket.
I understand these are made-to-order, but I prefer the GW, ELC model, where you order your jacket and then payment is taken when the jacket has been built, and is ready to ship.
If that means months of waiting, its still ok. Your money is still yours, till you 'swop' it for the jacket.
I am not a fan of the pay now and then 'wait and see when your jacket will be made up', could be weeks, could be months... No one really knows, and you have to chase for info and updates. And when you do, you feel like your are being annoying. In the mean time your money is in someone else's bank account.
I also still struggle with the concept of a jacket manufacturer 'running out of leather, components' issues... Receive a batch of leather and then it runs out, and then you order more... ?!
All being said, would still love of these jackets.

Technonut2112

AFAIK, many makers charge some form of deposit when an order is taken (IIRC, JC charges $250.00 USD), so one is always without some cash in many cases. Now, Aero doesn't charge until they actually start on a jacket, but it may take a matter of months after an order is placed until that happens. Given Platon's reasonable cost for a Dubow repro, I personally don't mind a bit of a wait (as I agreed to before throwing my $$ down)..

Brettafett

I guess also, as he is starting a new venture, so this may be necessary for him to get things moving... fair enough...
I have no problems with deposits, just don't feel great about paying for something in full, that takes months, or months-and-months to arrive, with little or no communication in between...
I hope these jackets start arriving soon, and I really hope they are great. Looking forward to pics and reviews! A top-spec, original-maker horsehide A-2 for this price is a very good thing.

Whatsit

I agree with Brett and techno nut I truly believe it’s everyones concern wether they ordered or not. Everyone could be a future customer and therefore they have a right to have their opinion heard.

Technonut2112

I agree with Brett and techno nut I truly believe it’s everyones concern wether they ordered or not. Everyone could be a future customer and therefore they have a right to have their opinion heard.

I've seen this kind of crap on other forums which offered 'group buys' or some similar thing for years now.. The paying folks went in knowing that there was a possibility of a wait. After there is the inevitable delay along the way in the order, other members who don't have a dime invested start chiming-in, sowing seeds of distrust, and all the possibilities of getting ripped-off. 95% of the time, the orders went off without a hitch, and everyone got their stuff...

Pilot

Please cross-check with PP. As far as I know from experience with goods its 180 days after PP payment...but this is PP France-Luxemburg... Maybe different in other countries with different laws and standards.

Whatsit

I've seen this kind of crap on other forums which offered 'group buys' or some similar thing for years now.. The paying folks went in knowing that there was a possibility of a wait. After there is the inevitable delay along the way in the order, other members who don't have a dime invested start chiming-in, sowing seeds of distrust, and all the possibilities of getting ripped-off. 95% of the time, the orders went off without a hitch, and everyone got their stuff...
I can only speak for myself but was told one date and then later told a second “maybe” and then after more inquiries nothing. So others sitting back testing the waters before ordering have every right to be upset too. Now for the record I am not going to worry until November as I said earlier on this thread. And for the record told others to also wait until November. But everyone has a right to their opinion regardless on here. If they don’t then this is no longer a forum. Just my own opinion of course

B-Man2

I don’t have a dog in this fight , I didn’t order a jacket and I am a total outside observer to this discussion . As such I just wanted to say that all of you have valid concerns and I hope that by next week this will not be an issue for any of you. The only thing that would piss me off would be him not being responsive to my emails after he had full payment for the jacket. That’s just not good business.

Whatsit

I don’t have a dog in this fight , I didn’t order a jacket and I am a total outside observer to this discussion . As such I just wanted to say that all of you have valid concerns and I hope that by next week this will not be an issue for any of you. The only thing that would piss me off would be him not being responsive to my emails after he had full payment for the jacket. That’s just not good business.
Couldn’t of said it better!

Ken at Aero Leather

What concerns me is almost 1/4 of a year has passed, are early purchasers being used as kickstarter funding ?

This is very astute thinking.
Setting up production by a new company making even a modest number of product, or even a single but high quality product isn't cheap.
Certainly there would be no change out of £12000, probably more, by the time a couple of samples done and a website are set up. This would grow every week, wages etc, until money starts coming in, that's a LOT of £400s especially when the profit margin cannot possibly exceed 10%
It pains me to recall the mess AeroUSA got into with what was basically a ponzi scheme, another word for kickstart in my book

Technonut2112

Well, I'll leave you gents to your opinions... As poor as I am compared to many here, I would likely have the most reason to be concerned, and I'm not.... ;) For the record, Platon has always answered my emails within a couple of days, and offered what I considered to be reasonable explanations for the delays.

I'll be sure to post pics of my Dubow when it arrives... :D

Pilot

So someone having a good communication with the seller should send him hints...just clarify all and make sure there are no hard feelings and no concerns...B/coz those last two are poison for a start-up business.

Whatsit

Well, I'll leave you gents to your opinions... As poor as I am compared to many here, I would likely have the most reason to be concerned, and I'm not.... ;) For the record, Platon has always answered my emails within a couple of days, and offered what I considered to be reasonable explanations for the delays.

I'll be sure to post pics of my Dubow when it arrives... :D
I too don’t have the money to buy Eastmans or Good Wear or Ken’s awesome Aeros. So I too have a lot to loose plus I have a wife that did not want to pay even half the amount that I paid Platon for a jacket constantly reminding me that it’s still not here. I noticed Platon ris selling these on eBay again for less then what I paid for mine that also seems very strange but what this tells me is he’s finished the first group of orders and is ready to start the next with a mid November to end of November shipping date pre his eBay page.

Ken at Aero Leather

I hope I'm wrong here but when Aero started we mailed our jackets our the day they were finished still warm from the machine, nothing like a few happy customers to kick start a new project and the money that brings in is invaluable for the cash flow