• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Platon Dubow seal?

Technonut2112

No, sure not....GW.... see the pointed collar tips ( as it should be).... see also the originals from WW2 as a reference.

When I'm looking at Platon's Dubow repro collar tips, I AM seeing them as they 'should' be... Patterned directly from a WW2 original in his possession. Folks seem to discount the fact that many variations can be made in a contract run of 50,000 jackets. Christ, it's not like this hasn't been gone over and over again. Some may like the pointier collar tips, but obviously other variations did exist, and makes Platon's as 'authentic' as any other repro out there based upon an original.

27798 (3).jpg

EDIT: And for the umpteenth time posted again, another pic of an original which resembles the Dubow that Platon patterned his jacket from:

dubow 27798 (2).png

Last edited:

Brettafett

I think it can be so deceptive. Look at Andrew's Dubow's collar on the right... If I pull my lobes down and out, they do curve, on both my BK and Platon Dubow.
Some pics of original Dubows show very curvy or pointed collar tips, some others not so much. Even John's Dubows show variation if you compare...
Heres another pic of Platon's jacket with an original.
IMG_20190422_011026.jpg

Last edited:

Dany McDonald

Any insiders have info on Platon's next move? Remember some saying he was going to have a go at another contract. I might just keep my A-2 $$$ for another one of his, depending.

D

stanier

I moving towards ordering a Platon Dubow. I wish there was a Crown zipper option, but that would be greedy I suppose! Anyway my conundrum is around sizing as I have the impression that the listed sizes are slightly bigger than the actual jackets, and the trick is to buy a size bigger, correct? Apologies if covered elsewhere and I cant find it, but does someone have the actual real measurements of a 40 and a 42 please? Now, seal or russet?....

Brettafett

I can't give you actual measurements, but yes... The general rule is to size up.
I am seriously looking at a russet version now.
If he does another contract, I'd hope for 20960. Still within the Dubow brand, but different enough of a jacket to be interesting.

Lorenzo_l

I moving towards ordering a Platon Dubow. I wish there was a Crown zipper option, but that would be greedy I suppose! Anyway my conundrum is around sizing as I have the impression that the listed sizes are slightly bigger than the actual jackets, and the trick is to buy a size bigger, correct? Apologies if covered elsewhere and I cant find it, but does someone have the actual real measurements of a 40 and a 42 please? Now, seal or russet?....

Hey Stanier. I got a Platon Dubow in size 40, even after Platon himself suggested a size 38 based on my measurements. I am glad I did, as a size 38 would have been too small. Measurements of my size 40 jacket are in this post:

And measurements as per J. A Dubow Mfg Co.'s website are two posts above that.