• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Platon Dubow seal?

johnwayne

Perhaps my 'wavy' pocket flap description was wrong - however you describe them they are not correct nor like the latter pics of originals which are pretty much identical on all Dubow's I've seen and having scanned the various books I have. The bottom of the flap looks virtually parallel to the top before dropping below the press stud so making it quite rounded and again, the collar ends not pointed enough but I stress, it's a nice A2 for the money, just not accurate or faithful enough - infact, take away the label and I doubt many would identify the maker it's intended to replicate. Sorry, just my view!

Last edited:

Lebowski

You might not want to sell to this guy.
For comparison here is a much older made BK dubow thay was more than likely made by Platon.
View attachment 11274
Jeremiah, stop posting this your BK-Dubow-looks-perfectly-like-original-WWII-jacket-ever, 'cause it noticeably diminishes a value of any other good looking Dubow's repro actually, Lol))
P.S. It was a joke, I love both jackets.
P.P.S. But Jeremiah's Dubow I like a bit more than any other repros)

Last edited:

jeremiah

It’s by far my favorite of my three. The leather used is the perfect weight and drapes like a dream. Having seen Greg’s uploaded original aero pics shows just how close to the wrinkles and grain this hide is.

Lebowski

You might not want to sell to this guy.
Having seen Greg’s uploaded original aero pics shows just how close to the wrinkles and grain this hide is.
Yep. Exactly. That's what I mean.
It actually has turned finally that the nice leather even being wrong coated always might be improved back to its initial perfect look and condition. Jeremiah, remind please - is the leather your BK Dubow was made of initially italian or japanese one?

Last edited:

jeremiah

I am told it was a leather sourced as a test leather from a Japanese tannery. The tannery put the wrong finish on it and so BK never ordered more aside from the sample leather. They made a few with it anyway. Could be how is was tanned too but it feels like a very old civi jacket I recently handled. Mine is a bit softer as it’s not as old and dried out though.

Teddy

Perhaps my 'wavy' pocket flap description was wrong - however you describe them they are not correct nor like the latter pics of originals which are pretty much identical on all Dubow's I've seen and having scanned the various books I have. The bottom of the flap looks virtually parallel to the top before dropping below the press stud so making it quite rounded and again, the collar ends not pointed enough but I stress, it's a nice A2 for the money, just not accurate or faithful enough - infact, take away the label and I doubt many would identify the maker it's intended to replicate. Sorry, just my view!

What you meant is that the wave on the flap should not be exactly parallel to the top before dropping? The photos I've found mostly do not have the parallel feature found on my new Dubow. I think you are right there. My pocket flaps are a bit off... @Juanito's pockets in his review are also different from mine.

But like you said, I can overlook these tiny imperfections because it is a great jacket at the most reasonable price (AVI's goatskin repros are only €70 cheaper). The leather feels nice and the studs are solid. We can't expect a JC quality and faithfulness, obviously, but JC's jackets would be almost 3x the price and 8x the waiting time!

Officer Dibley

Nkang, that sensible attitude and appreciation that the minute differences that tiny details can cost and are not worth it to many of us is why you will truly enjoy your jacket.
It took me 25 years to get to that point !!
Enjoy !

Micawber

Wondering who snaffled up the Bay of E 44"?

IMG_20181113_114123126.jpg

Micawber

No, not after it presumably left Greece a day or two back. Wasn't expecting it just yet so surprised to find it here when I got back this morning.

Try the tracking number in your local mail provider, that might work. If not I wouldn't be concerned yet.

Whatsit

@Micawber
The USPS says “pre-shipping” and that it’s on it’s way to the US but has said this message again since the nov 3
But regardless that’s a nice looking jacket.
Thanks
Mike

Micawber

early on, in this thread, i mentioned that the tracking# was useless until the parcel is in the country of destination. dunno why this is, but it is.

I've sometimes found that tracking is sufficient in the country of origin but disappears into a blackhole once the package is handed over to foreign services. Depends which way the wind is blowing I reckon!

Micawber

So that was 10 days ago, presumably it left Greece then or soon after. I'm in the UK so the distances are less and customs not applicable (at least while the UK is still in the EU) so a comparison is not really applicable. If I were you I wouldn't worry yet.

Whatsit

So that was 10 days ago, presumably it left Greece then or soon after. I'm in the UK so the distances are less and customs not applicable (at least while the UK is still in the EU) so a comparison is not really applicable. If I were you I wouldn't worry yet.
I’m not worried just questioning if the tracking will ever update or does the package just show up while the usps website still says it has t reached the US yet