• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Platon Dubow seal?

silvio76

I had my concerns about the standard fit but this athletic cut is perfect for me at size 42 (now I normally wear size 40). The sleeves are also not too long either for my short arms.

The horsehide is nice, a touch thinner than the possibly 10-15 years old ELC House A2 I own, sturdy but also pliable. It's unmatched, as you can see from the photos I took, and I bet it'll get really good characters with wear.

First impression: totally worth it. Very excited, and very happy.
Thanks for your review.

Last edited:

Pilot

One has to admit..nice jacket... nice fit as well. All HH all as per original contract (structure, construction, knits, metalware, skin out of HH).
Just for the sake of fairness... nice Job!

tibor

Very nice. At first I thought the knits looked more Aero-berry than Dubow-purple, but I think that was just the lighting. So I got a little lost along the way, is this a separate business started by Platon and not associated with Kelso? If so, did they have a falling out or are they still chummy?

johnwayne

Looks nice for the money but IMHO having a Dubow original I think the collar is not pointed enough and those pockets flaps are far too wavy which doesn't therefore make it a very faithful repro, sorry but is that me being picky? As I say, a nice looking A2 but more like a house version to me.

Whatsit

@johnwayne platon went by his original Dubow. I’d figure they were made so quickly back then it would be hard to find two perfectly the same Dubows but of course I more then likely could be wrong. Just funny that Platon would go thru the trouble to match the color thread exactly like the color thread on his original but then slack off on other details?
Again just my own opinions but think this is dead on his own original Dubow
Mike

Technonut2112

Looks nice for the money but IMHO having a Dubow original I think the collar is not pointed enough and those pockets flaps are far too wavy which doesn't therefore make it a very faithful repro, sorry but is that me being picky? As I say, a nice looking A2 but more like a house version to me.

You have what, One out of 50,000 made during wartime conditions? There were WIDE variations in large contracts between all components... in cutting, and stitch-work of the jackets as well. It's just plain dismissive to look down the the nose at Platon's Dubow as a 'house jacket' given those facts IMO...

jeremiah

Very nice. At first I thought the knits looked more Aero-berry than Dubow-purple, but I think that was just the lighting. So I got a little lost along the way, is this a separate business started by Platon and not associated with Kelso? If so, did they have a falling out or are they still chummy?

I was told no falling out and this seperate operation is not affiliated with BK.

johnwayne

I take your point Mike and I stand to be corrected but those flaps do look more akin to another maker to me, Aero? Nearly on a par with the new Goldsmith less double stitching!

jeremiah

For comparison here is a much older made BK dubow thay was more than likely made by Platon.
3135B514-A584-489B-A35C-DEEF94C15461.jpeg

Teddy

@Greg Gale

Jacket measurements (measured quickly without fully stretching the jacket while lifting it in air so there might be errors):
P2P: 22.5''
Shoulders: 17.5''
Sleeves: 25'' (along the curve)
Back length: 24.5''

My measurements:
Height: 5' 8''
Chest: 42''

Technonut2112

I have many 27798 pics scattered around, but quickly found this original in russet which has quite 'wavy' pocket flaps. This variation appears to have the more 'pointed' collar tips however, but given a bit of time, I'm certain that I could find more than a few pics of originals sporting more 'rounded' ones as well... ;)

Screenshot_2018-11-09 J A Dubow W535-AC-27798 A-2 Flight Jacket ORIGINAL #129350945.png

EDIT: Here's another original 27798 pocket flap:

Screenshot_2018-11-10 WW2 AAF Dubow A-2 A2 flying flight jacket sz 38 #39677446.png

Last edited:

Officer Dibley

Probably a trick of the light or the peculiarities of the jacket on which it is based but the sleeves seem wide or at least wider than my personal preference from elbow to wrist.
BUT before Tech and others jump on mefor daring to show ANY dissent :D...... it's a nice looking jacket and seems to be great value.
The proof will be rather like a classic beauty or a fine wine, how well it ages.
I'm looking forward to seeing folks wear their jackets like they stole them and the results of that. For example the "tunnelling" should disappear as the jacket creases.
As these are "cheaper" jackets, will we see the desire for a custom fit go away ? Or will that become an option ?

Last edited: