• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Platon Dubow seal?

Micawber

There again if they were sensible and paid via CC or Paypal then they will be able to claim the funds back if nothing is delivered.

Technonut2112

Someone grabbed a deal... The eBay price was $30.00 less expensive than on their site.. If I didn't already have one on the way, I would have jumped on it. ;)

Won't be long until fit pics start popping-up now that a batch is on the way to some of us here.. :) Going by Juanito's and Silver Surfer's outstanding examples in russet, I have no reservations on how the seals are going to turn out..:cool: Platon may have been banned, but that does not take away from his experience at Bill Kelso, and the passion he has for jackets, which no one who was here during his heyday can deny..;)

Skyhawk

Platon's removal had nothing to do with what he bought to the forum or the quality of the jackets.

The quickness of the ebay sale is amazing to me given the circumstances. I don't see anything relating to quality or knowledge in that.

The lack of photos of the actual jacket and a low ebay feedback rating would make for a hard ebay sale I would think. Yet it sold in hours.

Thus my amazement.

I was a forum member at that time as well so I know the story.

Otter

Got to agree with Skyhawk. Next to no feedback and no photo on an expensive item would be ringing so many alarm bells if I did not know the background. It stands a very good chance of being someone here or maybe on TFL.

ausreenactor

No I missed it. I have a BK Werber from 2013. It's one of three wearer A-2s I have now. Spent $300 on the zip for it, so $500 for a complete jacket is a song. Hide outcome is a gamble but I suppose you take that risk waiting for two years to get one made as well? I just figure Platon has some old stock lying around or his contract from the sale of the business prevents him going whole hog back into A-2s and this is a low key venture?

Why not email Platon via eBay and ask for the pics of the hide or the situation? Then there is no need for paranoia or living in fear. Paypal and eBay are both guaranteed. Safer dealing there than here on the forum. Only ever been ripped off once by a UK seller here. Jonny (redsox78) swung by again last month too I noticed. Never an issue on eBay in 22 years of buying and selling jackets.

Technonut2112

This is quite amusing to see from folks who consider Platon's jacket 'much ado about nothing'.. I can understand sour grapes from another jacket-meister, but all the other negativity is puzzling.. :confused:Especially when it shouldn't be concerning to these individuals at all.. ;) It will be even more entertaining when the jackets start arriving, and are found to be perhaps even more outstanding and well-regarded than the russets...... :cool:

EDIT: Regarding purchasing jackets before seeing an ACTUAL pic of the jacket... Common practice around these parts, isn't it? There's usually a sample pic, one pays for a copy of said sample pic jacket in their size, the jacket is made, THEN shipped and seen by the buyer for more than likely the 1st time (unless production pics were sent)... ;)

Platon's eBay listing was clear on this, just as it was clear about pics of the available size 44 jacket not being posted for the time being. For all anyone here knows, pics of the actual jacket being sold WERE provided to the purchaser before committing on it.. how could anyone possibly know for sure otherwise? Even if no pics were seen, it just may be within the possibility of reason that someone simply liked how the sample jacket looked, and recognizes outstanding work when they see it.. ;):)

Last edited:

Pilot

EDIT: Regarding purchasing jackets before seeing an ACTUAL pic of the jacket... Common practice around these parts, isn't it? There's usually a sample pic, one pays for a copy of said sample pic jacket in their size, the jacket is made, THEN shipped and seen by the buyer for more than likely the 1st time (unless production pics were sent)... ;)

Fully agree with that am part, especially if the jacket comes from Pakistan or India...

Technonut2112, you are the best Sales Manager Platoon could have, you convinced me , so I just ordered a Seal one...happy to receive it it promissed 6 weeks...