• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Platon Dubow OR Five Star Dubow? Which one would you buy?

JimO

With Five Star establishing a track record of making a quality jacket patterned directly from an original, there is now another viable choice for obtaining a very nice repro contract Dubow.

Priced at 450 euro (currently around $550 USD), the horsehide Platon Dubow has been the "semi-affordable" standard for a quality jacket in this contract pattern. Getting one means waiting for the greater part of a year (or more) and being limited to "off the rack" sizing, material & color configurations. According to those who have one on order, communication has been spotty, making their anxiety levels oscillate until they finally receive their jackets.

We have all heard about Five Stars' ability to make nearly anything you want in custom sizing, material & color combinations and then have the jacket delivered to your doorstep inside of 2 weeks. And we all know about @Shawn Ali 's excellent customer service & willingness to make product improvements.

Currently, the Five Star Dubow repro, made with their goatskin, lining, knit & snap materials closely matched to the original, is priced at $300. Assuming that when horsehide is available, it will incur their standard $100 upcharge- making the price of their horsehide Dubow jacket around $400.

The two jackets are both similar & different, but with a cost differential estimated to be around $150 and taking into account all of the parameters listed above, which one would YOU buy? Why?

ausreenactor

I need another A-2 like I need a hole in the head. The fact I could get one to Ties quickly has me thinking a 'Fighter' A-2 is a must.

And the USN jacket I posted pics of yesterday makes me think I need my second Navy jacket in 23 years of jacket hunting....

Kennyz

Both makers Dubows are quality jackets, authentic to the original contract, JimO. But for me, it would be Five Star.

Shawn's communication and customer service are outstanding, plus he offers custom sizing... If you need a jacket longer in the body or sleeves, etc, he'll take care of it for you. On top of all that the price is better.

The other reason for choosing Five Star is that I really respect Shawn's enthusiasm, willingness to take suggestions and learn, and his eagerness to create a better jacket. This is a person and company I'd like to support.

Ken

With Five Star establishing a track record of making a quality jacket patterned directly from an original, there is now another viable choice for obtaining a very nice repro contract Dubow.

Priced at 450 euro (currently around $550 USD), the horsehide Platon Dubow has been the "semi-affordable" standard for a quality jacket in this contract pattern. Getting one means waiting for the greater part of a year (or more) and being limited to "off the rack" sizing, material & color configurations. According to those who have one on order, communication has been spotty, making their anxiety levels oscillate until they finally receive their jackets.

We have all heard about Five Stars' ability to make nearly anything you want in custom sizing, material & color combinations and then have the jacket delivered to your doorstep inside of 2 weeks. And we all know about @Shawn Ali 's excellent customer service & willingness to make product improvements.

Currently, the Five Star Dubow repro, made with their goatskin, lining, knit & snap materials closely matched to the original, is priced at $300. Assuming that when horsehide is available, it will incur their standard $100 upcharge- making the price of their horsehide Dubow jacket around $400.

The two jackets are both similar & different, but with a cost differential estimated to be around $150 and taking into account all of the parameters listed above, which one would YOU buy? Why?

busdrivermike

It would have to be the fivestar dubow for me
The ability to get it sized for me and go from close historical accuracy or custom
I love his new goat developed for it but I can’t help but wonder what it would be
Like in his Buffalo hide especially since he is getting solid colors, hopefully one is black
I could see my self zipping along on my motorcycle in a black Buffalo version with
Red liner with my cellphone in an interior pocket :cool: , I’m funny that way.

cleancut

F* all the way Shawn is an excellent business man and person. The quality of the leathers and the workmanship put into his product imho is outstanding. I have purchased 2 jackets (A1, and a Doniger) both quality pieces. My only complaint in the past was the boxy shoulder, but he has since fixed that issue. I have just ordered a third jacked, a Dubow in goat ...i will post some pics when it gets in.. buy with confidence from Five Star.

CBI

IMO - as of right now, hands down 5 Star for a Goatskin A-2. If you want HH, maybe give 5 Star another few months for some stronger HH options. Shawn is moving quickly, still improving. Many people have had great results with Platon's A-2's but others have not so good stories. With 5 Star, even with issues, the communications are excellent. Just my 2 cents

B-Man2

Good question JimO!
From my perspective I think there’s a little more to be considered here than which company makes the better jacket . Customer Service has already been discussed as has quality of workmanship and materials . If I were considering buying another jacket, no matter who I thought made the best jacket, my choice would have to be 5 Star. The reason being is that I wear a size 46 and Platon doesn’t make a jacket that fits me . His 46 is more like a 44 and he stopped making size 48 which would have fit me. So the choice is simple . Sorry Platon if you want my business act like it and start making size 48 again .

Last edited:

B-Man2

Jeff
There’s a whole different side of you that you’ve been hiding haven’t you ? You’ve actually got a pretty good sense of humor mate ;):D

JimO

I have purchased 2 jackets (A1, and a Doniger) both quality pieces. My only complaint in the past was the boxy shoulder, but he has since fixed that issue. I have just ordered a third jacked, a Dubow in goat ...

cleancut- Like you, I had ordered & purchased 2 Five Star jackets (Doninger & Werber) and was happy with them EXCEPT for the boxy shoulders. Because @Shawn Ali listened to our feedback & has corrected this issue on his Dubow pattern, I ordered one. After receiving & wearing it for a week, I absolutely love this jacket and would have no qualms about ordering more Five Star products or recommending them to others. I think you will also feel the same way about your Dubow.

Regarding everyone else's responses, it seems like you are tending to gravitate to the company that is providing you a quality product that is tailored to fit YOUR needs, and doing so at a reasonable price with fast delivery & stellar customer service. This is common sense & normal human nature.

In any & every business & industry, successful individuals & companies continually improve their products & services and work hard to develop & EARN their customers' business & loyalty by understanding their needs & wants and doing everything they can to provide them. Those companies that do not are limiting their success, growth & longevity and ability to compete in the marketplace.