• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Platon Dubow - anyone received one recently?

stanier

I want to go for a Platon Dubow, but in these difficult times I thought I'd drop them an email enquiring what the lead time is at the moment. This was several weeks ago and I've heard nothing back and just wondered if anyone has received a Platon jacket recently or heard from them? On a purely human level I really hope Platon and his team(?) are safe and well. And I hope the business is doing good too and I'd just like to know all is well with a wait time estimate I can live with before I click the order button.

Smithy

Hopefully just busy but that's a little concerning in relation to what's going on at the moment.

I have started to wonder if sales have dropped for high end flight jackets (I can't imagine that they haven't) and if so by how much for the popular makers around this neck of the woods. This has been going on for a month and a half or so now so you have to imagine that it's starting to have an affect.

Brettafett

On the other hand Tim, lots of time for some to peruse jackets, dream dreams and pull out the wallet for another jacket.
I'm guilty. My Tankers getting lots of wear ;)

Brettafett

Perhaps another issue would be materials... If they continue to make jackets, albeit slowly, then at some point they may run out. To get re-stocked... Well, that could take a while.

Smithy

On the other hand Tim, lots of time for some to peruse jackets, dream dreams and pull out the wallet for another jacket.
I'm guilty. My Tankers getting lots of wear ;)

Possibly but generally in times of crisis and especially with a flow on economic effect, the sale volume of luxury goods goes down, it doesn't usually stay at normal levels. Economic uncertainty and people losing jobs tends also to affect buyers who would more normally spend on such things without thinking too much about it. You're lucky if you have job certainty and can use the same purchasing behaviour you used prior to this. Unfortunately that's a luxury that many millions of people around the world no longer have right now.

Perhaps another issue would be materials... If they continue to make jackets, albeit slowly, then at some point they may run out. To get re-stocked... Well, that could take a while.

I think that's probably a logical reason. If he's getting his hides from Italy, I imagine that production there has slowed quite dramatically.

mulceber

I would think so too, but I’ve also been in touch with Andy, whose hides are also from Italy, and it sounds like production is moving ahead, if not at full steam, then at a good clip. Different companies, but I’d be surprised if the production model is all that different.