• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Platon Dubow 27798 sizing advice, thank you

MaydayWei

Hello everyone,

Firstly, Happy New Year’s to all!
I’m in need of a little advice with regards to Platon’s sizing. Any input is much appreciated; thank you all in advance.
I have a 36” chest, 31” waist, and 43” shoulder circumference; accordingly, as per Platon’s sizing guide on his site, I should be a dead on size 36. (Ref #1)

However, his sizing guide says that if “your actual cross back (shoulder to shoulder) is between 17.5 and 18 inches”, then “the 18.5 inches shoulder span measurement that our size 44 jacket provides should fit you fine.”
This indicates to me that your jacket’s shoulder span measurement should be your shoulder to shoulder +0.5 inches.
If that’s the case, my 16.5 inch shoulder to shoulder would require a 17 inch shoulder span on the jacket. That would make me a size 38. (See Ref #2 & #3)

I have a feeling that the 36 would be too tight in the shoulders and that I should size up to 38; what do you all think? should I size up?
I’ve read all the other threads on the forum on this and it’s been consistently stated that sizing up was the way to go.

I’m on the short side and I’m really happy for the generally short cut on Platon’s Dubow.

Again, all input is appreciated and thank you again!

Ref #1:
Screenshot 2021-01-07 at 21.47.45.png

Ref #2:
A1E17831-9402-4AFE-B72E-D9E8568AEC23.jpeg

Ref #3:
Screenshot 2021-01-07 at 21.46.10.png

Last edited:

MaydayWei

Oh, and I forgot to ask. The order form states three different fits : slim, regular, and relaxed. I’m guessing everyone just went for regular?

Greg Gale

Do you have jackets of other makers for reference? In ELC I'm between 40 and 42, depending on the contract. In Dubows I'm definitely a 42. I'd say size up. The shoulders are the snuggest part of Dubows.

I'm a 40 chest, went with the 42. I would think a 38 would fit your 36 chest the same way.

MaydayWei

Do you have jackets of other makers for reference? In ELC I'm between 40 and 42, depending on the contract. In Dubows I'm definitely a 42. I'd say size up. The shoulders are the snuggest part of Dubows.

I'm a 40 chest, went with the 42. I would think a 38 would fit your 36 chest the same way.

No, unfortunately, I don't have another A2 from a similar maker to compare it to.
Actually, I read somewhere on the VLJ that you mentioned the Platon Dubow in 42 leaving a bit of room in the belly for you because you're usually a 40; how'd it wear on you over time? Did you grow used to it, or could you just chuck a light sweater underneath?
And thanks for the input; I'm thinking 38 is the way to go for the shoulders; lest the jacket be too tight in the shoulders to even put on.

Brettafett

Hi all, yes, totally agree with recommendations above.
I have a 40" chest, wear a 40 or 42 ELC, 42 BK and my Platon 42 is perfect. Definitely size one up.
I wear mine mostly with a T-shirt or some such, but I can wear with a light sweater. I'd say it would be a classic/ regular fit.

Keep in mind, all these A-2 patterns differ slightly from one contract to another. They all have their unique fit & features.
The Dubows, generally, even with slightly snug shoulders (when compared to other contracts with slightly wider shoulders) are rather comfy at the correct size, in part to the way the front and back panels are designed.
One may also say that they have a bit more room around the waist (again, compared to some other contracts perhaps), but you will only notice that if you are a skinny bloke.
This in no way detracts from comfort and wearability.

Get a 38 and get excited.
I just returned from a coffee run and wore mine for the first time a few weeks and its a gem of a jacket!
* Will take a pic a bit later and post in the what are you wearing today thread....

MaydayWei

Hi all, yes, totally agree with recommendations above.
I have a 40" chest, wear a 40 or 42 ELC, 42 BK and my Platon 42 is perfect. Definitely size one up.
I wear mine mostly with a T-shirt or some such, but I can wear with a light sweater. I'd say it would be a classic/ regular fit.

Keep in mind, all these A-2 patterns differ slightly from one contract to another. They all have their unique fit & features.
The Dubows, generally, even with slightly snug shoulders (when compared to other contracts with slightly wider shoulders) are rather comfy at the correct size, in part to the way the front and back panels are designed.
One may also say that they have a bit more room around the waist (again, compared to some other contracts perhaps), but you will only notice that if you are a skinny bloke.
This in no way detracts from comfort and wearability.

Get a 38 and get excited.
I just returned from a coffee run and wore mine for the first time a few weeks and its a gem of a jacket!
* Will take a pic a bit later and post in the what are you wearing today thread....

Thanks for the insight. I am on the slim side.
And that pic! You're really making me consider a seal; though I think I'd have to go for a Russet first.
@Grant's Dubow in Russet is what inspired me in the first place.

mulceber

It's good to hear Platon's back up and running. Buying from him is on my jacket bucket list, but I'm waiting on that 20960 he's got planned.