• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Platon A-2 Dubow seal after wearing season

Flightengineer

Great to see your jacket Dmitry. The addition of the patch gives it that little extra persona ;)
Its getting cooler here in the UK again, and am looking forward to wearing mine a lot more.

Thanks. I envy your weather Brett. Here today is the last day of A2 weather, according to the forecast, and then very cold weather awaits us. I'm afraid further only B-15 or maybe just parkas but not leather jackets for sure here.

B-Man2

Interesting observation - I had a similar discussion with Platon once as I simply couldn't validate the size that my jacket actually should have (according to the original measure table Platon provided for the Dubow 27798). He just responded that (all) customers are measuring incorrectly a jacket which really needs to be flat on the ground ... . Different way's of measuring jackets are advised/claimed by many vendors/manufacturers for sure - however they usually do not deviate by more than one inch though ....
That’s interesting because I’ve been measuring jackets for years and when Platon posted his “How to measure a jacket’ instructional post, I was surprised to learn that I had been measuring jackets exactly the way he instructed . Even down to the curve of the arms . As I mentioned I’m fortunate to own a couple of original jackets and all of them are size 46. I have several different contracts in size 46 and all of them are almost an inch bigger in most typically measured locations ie
Shoulders , Chest , arms, and back than Platons reproduction 46 jackets .
Several others here have found his jackets to run small and have had to order up a size . In just about every repro I have, I wear a size 46 but this one is a size 48 and is short in the back ,and sleeves. Not complaining just making an observation .

Mr. Mike

That’s interesting because I’ve been measuring jackets for years and when Platon posted his “How to measure a jacket’ instructional post, I was surprised to learn that I had been measuring jackets exactly the way he instructed . Even down to the curve of the arms . As I mentioned I’m fortunate to own a couple of original jackets and all of them are size 46. I have several different contracts in size 46 and all of them are almost an inch bigger in most typically measured locations ie
Shoulders , Chest , arms, and back than Platons reproduction 46 jackets .
Several others here have found his jackets to run small and have had to order up a size . In just about every repro I have, I wear a size 46 but this one is a size 48 and is short in the back ,and sleeves. Not complaining just making an observation .
If you apply that way of measuring to your originals, do you end up with the standard figures set by Dubow themselves then (referring to below chart)? I'd assume yes and that would be a solid proof point that the measuring tutorial advice is the right basis for us to compare jackets discussed here.

1631685629569.jpeg

Only strange thing remaining then would be that Platon initially set up the measuring tutorial ... (?). Would have appreciated to get the sleeve and back length as set by Dubow. One size up wouldn't help as it would only bring minor increase on those while making the jacket too roomy in the torso.

B-Man2

If you apply that way of measuring to your originals, do you end up with the standard figures set by Dubow themselves then (referring to below chart)? I'd assume yes and that would be a solid proof point that the measuring tutorial advice is the right basis for us to compare jackets discussed here.

View attachment 66728

Only strange thing remaining then would be that Platon initially set up the measuring tutorial ... (?). Would have appreciated to get the sleeve and back length as set by Dubow. One size up wouldn't help as it would only bring minor increase on those while making the jacket too roomy in the torso.
I can’t speak to the DuBow measurements because I don’t have an Original DuBow .
I was making a general observation of the size of a Wartime 46 compared to the Platon size 46 . But as a side note I have to wonder why the sizes of a DuBow A2 would have been classified .

Mr. Mike

I can’t speak to the DuBow measurements because I don’t have an Original DuBow .
I was making a general observation of the size of a Wartime 46 compared to the Platon size 46 .
Ah, o.k. thanks. I interpreted your post as direct relation between the two. Sorry.

Sideslip

So I am talking to someone about a USN jacket which I am *really* keen on, but if I were to think to the future and were looking at a Dubow, is 6 feet too tall, mindful of @B-Man2 's comments (no idea what your height is). I looked at the Dubow website how to measure page and think I get it, but would appreciate any advice from those who have one of Dubow's jackets please.

@Flightengineer that's beautiful. I was looking at this when my 10 year old son wandered up and immediately said "that's so cool, it looks like the one the Doolittle crews were wearing". Kind of ironic as my father was on the receiving end in 1942 (he was 7).

Micawber

So I am talking to someone about a USN jacket which I am *really* keen on, but if I were to think to the future and were looking at a Dubow, is 6 feet too tall, mindful of @B-Man2 's comments (no idea what your height is). I looked at the Dubow website how to measure page and think I get it, but would appreciate any advice from those who have one of Dubow's jackets please.

@Flightengineer that's beautiful. I was looking at this when my 10 year old son wandered up and immediately said "that's so cool, it looks like the one the Doolittle crews were wearing". Kind of ironic as my father was on the receiving end in 1942 (he was 7).

I would say not but you would do well to wear high rise trousers / pants.

Greg Gale

I'm 6ft tall, 73 kg, and I had a size 42 Dubow - I sold it to @Flightengineer because it was SLIGHTLY too short. Maybe not in the sleeves, more in the back.

Sideslip

I'm 6ft tall, 73 kg, and I had a size 42 Dubow - I sold it to @Flightengineer because it was SLIGHTLY too short. Maybe not in the sleeves, more in the back.
Thank you for that. So I am 9-10kg more than you with a 42.5-43 chest, but same height. I have a 42" G-1 which fits, but is very trim (it fit better 5 few years ago...). My recent GW M422 is 44" and fits much more comfortably, so at least a 44 for the Dubow, but wonder whether a 46 is safer or becomes too baggy, although looking back at 1940s pictures, it seems that sizes were all over the place and they were wearing shirts and jumpers if they were flying (I fly a 1946 tailwheel, but not a warbird... unfortunately, unless I win the euro millions tonight :)). Micawber advised to wear high-waisted trousers, but irrespective, you still found it too short. The difficulties of not being able to try things on!

Greg Gale

@Sideslip mind you, my 42 had plenty of extra room in the torso, and maybe even the chest, but the shoulders were just right. Then again I have broad(ish) shoulders. I reckon you'd be better off with a 44. I've just seen one for sale in one of the FB groups.

Micawber

@Sideslip mind you, my 42 had plenty of extra room in the torso, and maybe even the chest, but the shoulders were just right. Then again I have broad(ish) shoulders. I reckon you'd be better off with a 44. I've just seen one for sale in one of the FB groups.

Saw that one but given the exchange rate now it's up for sale at the equivalent price of a new one. Seller says immaculate and light use but has some heavy duty be sleeve creasing.

Last edited: