• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Plastic colonel ranks

svejk

Hi guys,

I have obtained a set of plastic colonel ranks in transparent plastic sew-on squares. I have an L-2b with plastic captain's bars, also in transparent plastic, sewn onto the epaulets. This L-2b als has the transparent plastic name tag holder.

I would like to put the new colonel ranks onto another jacket, an B-15C, but that, as you know, does not have any epaulets. Does anyone known whether such transparent plastic ranks were worn on B-15c's or other epaulet-less jackets?

Cheers,

Svejk

Weasel_Loader

This question is kind of tricky. Yes, the transparent ranks were put on jackets without epaulets. The problems is using transparent rank tabs with a B-15C. Myself, I've never seen them used on such an early nylon jacket. They were mostly used on jackets starting in the late 60s from what I've seen. That's not to say there was never an original B-15C with these style rank tabs. Anyone else ever seen these rank tabs on early nylon?

watchmanjimg

Danny, you have a point regarding the B-15C specifically. Now that I've thought about it a little, I realize that the unmodified version was probably not worn past the mid-'50s and I have seen no evidence of plastic-encased rank being worn that early. However, I was surprised to find that John Chapman's CD depicts early L-2Bs sporting plastic-encased rank. This suggests to me that it could have been used at least as far back as the late '50s, and I've spoken with USAF vets from the period who recalled seeing such rank. Additionally, I once owned an A-spec L-2B that had plastic rank and the early-style wide white nametape so I know it was used well before the late '60s.

Would the plastic-encased rank be the best choice for an unmodified B-15C? It appears not. I think gold or silver leaf overlay on black leather is more accurate for early '50s, but this opinion comes primarily from seeing the Buzz Rickson Korean-era repros. For what it's worth I've got The Hunters DVD on right now and so far I haven't seen any rank on nylon jackets, just unit patches and white nametapes.

Weasel_Loader

Jim,

The plastic encased or transparent rank tabs introduction might have been much earlier than late 60s, I'd just never seen any earlier example myself. The most common method of ranking blue nylon that I've seen is like you said, the black leather with silver/gold embossed rank insignia.

B-15C and Mod jackets seemed to have been retired much earlier than L-2A, N-2A, N-3A. We've seen examples of the later well up into the 60s being used. Don't remember seeing any 60s era photos with B-15Cs.

tamoko

I have removed plastic Lt Colonel ranks from my Gray lined Tops L-2B first contract. This Jacket bout 1950 ?
And i saw photos from B-15C with leather Capitan/Lt Colonel ranks like on WWII A-2 in Korea was many WWII pilots and gear.

tamoko

example of early gray lined L-2B

BLUE%20ANCHOR%20OVERALL.CO,INC_03.jpg