• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pilot Wings & Watches

bazelot

smkngun said:
Here are some photos of Naval Aviator Wings from WWI to WWII, and the known variants of “berries”, one side will have 11, and the other will have 13.

All these variations were used until 1964. In 1964, the USN adopted the 1938 Style Wing as the permanent style of wing.

John, nice collection!

Click on the thumbnails to Enlarge Photos…

That's an amazing collection!

smkngun

Thanks,

Here are photos of my Complete WWI collection, and Complete WWII collection of American Wing Badges, both ARMY, and NAVY.

Regards,

John

WWI.jpg
WWII.jpg

bazelot

That's an amazing collection. I love the one with the balloon with the US stamped on it. How old is it? I had never seen one quite like this one before.

smkngun

Thanks, it is a WWI Aeronaut Wing.

It came in two ratings the one you like, and the one on the lower left of the screen with Star, the Star Basically Meant you were essentially a Full Military Aeronaut,. You earned it two ways, one by being a Commander of a Balloon Company Squadron for more than 90 days, or you had the necessary flight time to earn the Star,

The one with just the Gold US Soldered onto it, was the one the graduates from the course could wear (they were issued silk embroidered ones).

bazelot

Here are pictures of the Navy wings I just recieved today.

LittleLussinou045.jpg

LittleLussinou046.jpg

LittleLussinou047.jpg

LittleLussinou048.jpg

LittleLussinou049.jpg

LittleLussinou050.jpg

LittleLussinou051.jpg

What area is it? It was sold as being pre WWII. The only thing written on the back is "Acid Test"

smkngun

What color is it? Gold or Silver? “ACID TEST” means that it has plating, and will pass the gold or silver acid test.

The Pin Assembly is of WWII, and Pre-WII Era, so it’s a good wing, you can never tell when they were made, unless they were on the card, or biographical.

If they are gold, they are Naval Aviator Wings.

If they are silver, they are Naval Aviation Observer, 1926 pattern.

Hope this helps,

John

bazelot

THanks John. That helps a lot. From the pictures they looked like they were gold but they are silver.
I found this interesting site:
http://www.history.navy.mil/avh-1910/APP20.PDF

I only managed to download it in IE not in Firefox.

I guess those wings are Naval Aviation Observers (whatever that is :))then.
You seem to know a lot about those wings. Where did you find all this info?

smkngun

No problem, I am glad I could help!

I actually have all this information in my head! Wing collecting is my specialty, I mostly collect WWI and WWII US Army, and US Navy Wing badges from 1913 to 1946.

1926 Naval Aviation Observer Wings (1926 Pattern) were the second pattern of Naval Aviation Observer Wings. The first pattern is an “O” ½ Wing, with an Anchor used from about 1922 to 1926.

The Second Pattern that you have was used from 1926 to 1938. It is nothing but a Naval Aviation Wing, but instead of being gold, it is silver, to distinguish between the pilots and observers. It is often mis-listed, and incorrectly called an Enlisted Aviators Wing, Enlisted Pilots wore the same wing (gold) as commissioned Pilots did. Enlisted Observers wore the same Silver Wing Commissioned Observers Wore.

Naval Aviation Observers were navigators who used maps and did observing for the pilot, or acted as observers for Naval or Marine Artillery (Spotters). They were not Aviators.

http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/avchr3.htm

In 1938, the patterns changed to Naval Wings on both side of an “O” and inside the “O” was/is an Anchor.

Congrats, on a good score and a rare wing, this Pattern is closely associated with Bailey Banks, and Biddle, as it was copied off their wing style. It will have 13 little feathers in the base of its shoulder.

I hope this helps,

John

bazelot

Thank you for the info John. That is great stuff. I am learning a ton about Naval wings. It does have 13 little feathers on each side. I orriginaly wanted the gold ones but I only paid $16 for them so I am quite happy about them.

smkngun

Again, no problem,

Just make sure that they are exactly 2.75 inch, another thing to make sure of is one they don’t bend to easily, and the Pin Assembly is actually silver soldered. If this wing has all these attributes, then you got a steal at $16.00.

Since I cannot actually see any of this via photos at this point, that will ensure that they are at least real, also check to see of there is any remaining gold wash, if you find any remaining gold wash, get them replated.

John

bazelot

They are 2.75 inch long. They bend but you have to apply some pressure on them. THe pin is gold in color with silver solders. THe metal looks like it is pitted in a couple of spots.

Andrew

I have a number of tins of various treasures, mainly RAAF and AAF stuff. I do love sterling 3" wings only with pin backs and especially a very solid set of AE Utica aircrew wings but my favourite is still the simple Pilot wings.

It must have been such a buzz to have received something as substantial as these back in those days.

I'm surprised to see how the value of these has increased over the last few years- maybe it's the price of the silver content.

IMG_0045.jpg

bazelot

smkngun said:
Again, no problem,

Just make sure that they are exactly 2.75 inch, another thing to make sure of is one they don’t bend to easily, and the Pin Assembly is actually silver soldered. If this wing has all these attributes, then you got a steal at $16.00.

Since I cannot actually see any of this via photos at this point, that will ensure that they are at least real, also check to see of there is any remaining gold wash, if you find any remaining gold wash, get them replated.

John

I was looking at the wings today in broad daylight and it does look like there is some remaining gold wash between the feathers. Not much but enough to see that it was gold plated at one point. This one has definitely seen some use :)

smkngun

Sounds like good wings, if the do not bend easy that is a good sign as well. That means they are not made from lead, or easily bendable metal.

If they once had a gold wash, I would get them replated.

bazelot

smkngun said:
Sounds like good wings, if the do not bend easy that is a good sign as well. That means they are not made from lead, or easily bendable metal.

If they once had a gold wash, I would get them replated.

What would it mean if they were made from lead?

bazelot

deeb7 said:
bazelot said:
What would it mean if they were made from lead?

They would be copies.

This is interesting ...

http://www.anaspides.net/Aviator%20wing ... 0wings.htm

This site is awesome. I love it. So much info in there.

Mine look exactly like the W-55 model except that the cord around the anchor is not clearly defined with all the knots. With some pressure (enough to break a pencil) on the wings you can bend them. They also have on the back round dotted circles as a kind of background pattern.

Better pics of the wings:

LittleLussinou069.jpg

LittleLussinou071.jpg

LittleLussinou072.jpg

LittleLussinou073.jpg

LittleLussinou074.jpg