• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pick a Fit

Chandler

Or pitch a fit; either way, this is a great shot of 5 different pilots, 5 different A-2s, 5 different fits.
Found it at the Air Force Historical Research Agency -- some more great images there too.

368th.jpg

Chandler

dujardin

hello,

i can see the different fits you're talking about but i'm unable to see the difference between the different A2's.
i'm everytime amazed to see some of you able to give a detailled description of an A2 (model-maker) just by having a look on a picture.

byeeeeeeee marcel

Chandler

dujardin said:
i'm unable to see the difference between the different A2's.

I'm not one to go I.Ding manufacturers, but if you look at the different pocket flap shapes, the way the collars lie, the distance between pockets, you can get an idea that there are different factories at work.

Chandler

Chandler

My ELC Star fits similarly to the flyer of the far left and my G&B goat and ELC RW 1401 fit similarly to the flyer second from the right -- the 1401 being slightly less baggy around the waist.

Looks like the fella second from the left and the 2 at far right have done their best to flatten out their collars. Not sure why that A-2 at the far right hangs the way it does.

Chandler

fishmeok

That's a GREAT shot- also the different trousers, and the two guys on he right have "genuine" crush caps while he one on the far left has a standard felt visor cap with the stiffening gromit removed. As far as jackets, on the far right the waistband is worn out which is why it doesn't blouse at the waist, and the jackets in the middle and on the far right look Dubowish to me, just from the pocket shape, collar, and the size of the upper sleeves. I think the others are Aero's? But that's as far as my limited knowledge goes. Those are also probably small jackets, since these are fighter pilots and probably under 5'8" or so (IMHO).

Cheers
Mark

Andrew

fishmeok said:
also the different trousers, ....As far as jackets, on the far right the waistband is worn out which is why it doesn't blouse at the waist.............

....and the high waisted trouser is probably the reason for the blouse around the middle of the others.

Chandler

fishmeok said:
the jackets in the middle and on the far right look Dubowish to me, just from the pocket shape, collar, and the size of the upper sleeves.

I dunno, I was thinking that the Major or Lt. Col directly in the center might have a Rough Wear, based on the scallop you can see of his right-hand pocket. Then again, the collar doesn't appear "standish."

I find the big differences between pocket spacing pretty interesting -- tell-tale of the brand, I'm sure.

I was also wondering about the pants myself, 2 out of three with the winter weight -- someone's out of uniform.

Chandler

Jason

JC has an incredible pic of a large training group wearing their A-2s, all of them zipped up to the collar (looks a bit strange!) but from that you can see that there's as many different 'fits' as there are body shapes in the group.

The pic is far too large to show here, so I'll just paste the link and you can open in a new browser window yourself. Be prepared, its a BIG photo, but very well worth viewing.

http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/Proper_A2_Fit.jpg

Andrew

What a fantastic shot- thanks for that Jason. Most of them appear to be on the larger/ roomy side, reminds me of when you were a kid and your mum was always putting you into clothes that you felt were too big for you!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Leadsky said:
... reminds me of when you were a kid and your mum was always putting you into clothes that you felt were too big for you!

Exactly! ... :)

Yet the photo is entitled "Proper_A2_Fit" ... hopefully it is 'tongue in cheek'.

Chandler

deeb7 said:
Yet the photo is entitled "Proper_A2_Fit" ... hopefully it is 'tongue in cheek'.

I think it means just that, they're all "proper" fits!

I guess they're all zipped up to be "uniform," definitely an odd look. The pic makes you wonder about the fates of all these young men.

Chandler

Chandler

Got the image to a friend who did some photo-tweaks, let's see if it comes through.

gradclass41small.jpg

Eeh, little small -- the link is better.

Chandler

Chandler

Jason said:
JC has an incredible pic of a large training group wearing their A-2s,

Somewhere at the beginning of the U.S.' involvement in WW2, Life magazine had a cover shot of an AAF graduating class. The perspective was from above with the group looking up at the camera -- IIRC they were all wearing A-2s (many of them with that collar fold some of us like).

I have a copy of the magazine buried in my archives somewhere, but I've wanted to find a good on-line copy -- anyone seen one?

*Edit: July 26, 1943 -- 8th Air Force Bombers. There are some copies of the image on line, but they aren't terribly high in resolution.

Chandler

Flightpath

Chandler said:
dujardin said:
i'm unable to see the difference between the different A2's.

I'm not one to go I.Ding manufacturers, but if you look at the different pocket flap shapes, the way the collars lie, the distance between pockets, you can get an idea that there are different factories at work.

Chandler

Hi,

I'd like to own any of these A2s! It looks like the pockets on the guy second from the left is almost under his arms, is this normal for a specific maker?
AND
I'll put in my order for my collection: the centre jacket w/whistle (& his gloves), the hat second from the right, and the squadron sign (I'm guessing they are a Thunderbolt group).

cheers,

-John