• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Perry Sportswear B-3, a fair trade?

Marc mndt

I decided to put my capeskin Eastman A1 up for sale so I listed it on Vinted yesterday. I received a couple of € offers but I also received a trade offer: A Perry Sportswear B-3.

D8722D8A-334C-4711-AA8E-A66B34D92E2E.jpeg

It would certainly be nice to own a nice vintage B-3 in wearable condition but I'm not knowledgeable at all when it comes to military jackets tbh. So I have no idea how to assess the condition of the jacket, whether or not it's original and whether trading my Eastman A1 against this B-3 would be considered a good deal / fair trade.

I'd be happy to hear your thoughts!

A6BB887C-7FDF-4D29-AA63-E063CAD18FE2.jpeg
BCF1861A-EE91-450A-AB45-D02E904B3CC8.jpeg
D63B9288-EFE9-402E-81CB-C164E482CEC7.jpeg
5A74AA28-9DB5-4B28-942D-980EB9BE9551.jpeg
ECCE2B82-0518-4B71-93F1-BC9042E03B99.jpeg
72C93D78-1C0B-438C-A380-D0A023527968.jpeg
8BC2FF01-13FA-4987-A00B-338A549DE8A3.jpeg
E7BF2E23-CD51-42CC-A13C-BE233F9FAD13.jpeg

CBI

Marc can't post sales here yet, he needs 10 posts or something? also aren't most of us TFL members as well????

WW2 B-3's are not really to be worn, the sheepskin is fragile and can fall apart. Navy sheepskin is a little better and for whatever reason, RAF sheep is pretty sturdy.

there ARE exceptions, sturdy B-3's but best to avoid as a wearer. A case where a repro IS better.

Marc mndt

WW2 B-3's are not really to be worn, the sheepskin is fragile and can fall apart. Navy sheepskin is a little better and for whatever reason, RAF sheep is pretty sturdy.
Now that you mention it, I have seen people wearing original Irvins but I've never seen someone wearing an original B-3.

Neither have I seen an original B-2 btw, even though they had a horsehide shell which should make them last a lot longer than their successor.

B-Man2

Now that you mention it, I have seen people wearing original Irvins but I've never seen someone wearing an original B-3.

Neither have I seen an original B-2 btw, even though they had a horsehide shell which should make them last a lot longer than their successor.
All good info … A B-3s can be a risky trade if you don’t have it in your hand and examine it carefully for dry rot.

Shropshire-lad

What price are you asking for your A1 MARC??

Micawber

The last time I regularly wore an original B-3 or B-6 was when I had my previous WW2 Jeep and I sold that over twenty years ago. The intervening years have seen even more of the USAAF WW2 shearlings become fragile and for the sake of preservation are best kept as display items only. With that in mind, IMHO, if you are after a jacket you can wear day to day the trade is not advisable. As a collectable piece of history to display or get a vibe from then assess accordingly.

Edited to correct weird phone formatting.

Last edited:

Harris_HTM

I'm not sure whether or not @Harris_HTM is interested, but my fellow countryman has first dibs :)
Hi Marc,
I'd like to try it first, I suspect that sleeves/back length might be a bit too long for me; and checking our vacation schemes I guess it will not be before October. You are free to sell it, if it is not sold by then, then yes I'm interested!

Tattoo A2

I have owned quite a few originals over the years and they are very fragile even if they appear to be in good shape. All it takes is a little too much bending or twisting and you have a nice tear down a seam. I had better luck with D1s, maybe they used the thicker part of the hide knowing the mechanics were gonna beat the crap out of them, Im probably wrong on that, but I still have a few pairs of B1 shearling pants the mechanics used and they are pretty solid. The best B3 I owned was an HLB in a size 46, with a 100th bomb group patch in leather on it. Solid jacket but I had to sell it during a messy divorce years back to pay a lawyer. Sold it to someone in England who told me it was going in the 100ths museum and he was the curator. Not sure if it was a story on his end, but I always hoped it's there on display.

mulceber

That would be because B-1s and B-2s weren't made in any great quantity, since the AAC was much, MUCH smaller at that point than they were in WW2. But you're right, they were made to such a standard that a greater percentage of them are still in wearable condition. It's just that most of the ones that survive are the prized item in somebody's collection, and so they don't come onto the market very often.

FWIW, I actually think ELC A-1 for an original B-3 isn't a bad trade. The B-3 doesn't look to be in wearable condition, but as a display piece it will only increase in value, whereas a repro will only decrease. That's assuming you want a display piece though. ;)

Micawber

I have owned quite a few originals over the years and they are very fragile even if they appear to be in good shape. All it takes is a little too much bending or twisting and you have a nice tear down a seam. I had better luck with D1s, maybe they used the thicker part of the hide knowing the mechanics were gonna beat the crap out of them, Im probably wrong on that, but I still have a few pairs of B1 shearling pants the mechanics used and they are pretty solid. The best B3 I owned was an HLB in a size 46, with a 100th bomb group patch in leather on it. Solid jacket but I had to sell it during a messy divorce years back to pay a lawyer. Sold it to someone in England who told me it was going in the 100ths museum and he was the curator. Not sure if it was a story on his end, but I always hoped it's there on display.

That's interesting about the 100th museum. I live close by, well close by to many ex 8th bases and was chatting to the curator at another venue just a week or two ago.

Tattoo A2

That's interesting about the 100th museum. I live close by, well close by to many ex 8th bases and was chatting to the curator at another venue just a week or two ago.
It was an HLB B3 jacket, I believe in a 46 with a hand painted leather patch with 100th bomb group or something of the sort, I had photos of it but my computer crashed and I lost all the photos years ago, curious if it was a legit story, let me know if you find anything out, Thanks, Rob