• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Perry Sportswear 42-16175-P show and tell

Andrew

A few months ago John borrowed this jacket to make a pattern for the Goodwear Perry. Part of his documentation was a beautiful detailed photographic study. They make an excellent reference. The horse hide is quite lightweight, a fantastic colour, russett top colour and lighter undertones with some sections still smooth but otherwise beautifully creased and grained. It has a collar stand and the collar expresses the limp which seems to be typical of many Perrys. The knits are original and very lightweight.

It's missing its separate black size tag but it is probably a 48.

Here are the dimensions;

Front chest: ........26"

Front height: ......25"

Back width: ........26"

Back height: .......26.5"

Shoulders: ..........20"

Sleeve length: ....26"

front_view.jpg

reverse_view.jpg

front_back_full.jpg

collar.jpg

label.jpg

collar_details.jpg

collar_back.jpg

epaulet.jpg

knits.jpg

zipper_box2.jpg

pocket.jpg

better duck

Andrew,
It must be great to see your own original A2 studied and photographed in such a professional way. And then the knowledge that this one original will help generate so many "repro originals".
Did you get your original back in one piece or was it disected in the service of jacketscience?

ties70

I have ordered a Perry from John! Should be here in two weeks or so...It should fit great as the measurements of Andrew's original are almost dead on perfect for me!

Regards,

Ties

Roughwear

I am sure Andrew's Perry has not been re-dyed. It is similar in colour to my near mint original. A re-dyed one would be a much darker brown.

Andrew

better duck said:
Andrew,
It must be great to see your own original A2 studied and photographed in such a professional way. And then the knowledge that this one original will help generate so many "repro originals".
Did you get your original back in one piece or was it disected in the service of jacketscience?

Hi Peter, yes it is indeed. It's been gone since the start of the year and seeing it displayed this way makes it look better than I remember. I have been on the lookout for a replacement jacket without a collar stand and with a narrower pit to pit dimension for a while but seeing it like this makes me want it back- it's still with John in Seattle. The JC standard method of photographic documentation certainly captures every juicy detail perfectly.

taikonaut said:
deeb7 said:
taikonaut said:
Is this Perry been re-dyed?

No, it's just being copied.

I meant has it been re-dyed, ie during the war?

Taikonaut (just what the heck is a Taikonaut anyway?? :? ) I don't know enough about them to say if it was re-dyed, this is a question best respoded to by John. I'll see if he has a minute to spare to answer that one. It is something I have wondered myself. Here's a shot of the underside of the pocket flap- interestingly the outside is darker than the inside. Personally I think it's original.

open_pocket.jpg

front_view_flat.jpg

ties70 said:
I have ordered a Perry from John! Should be here in two weeks or so...It should fit great as the measurements of Andrew's original are almost dead on perfect for me!

Regards,

Ties

Ties, i'm really looking forward to seeing this jacket and especially worn on you. It will be great to see one that essentially the same in size. I suspect i'll have a similar reaction to those who have already witnessed the production of a clone jacket.

Another one from last year. I put this in to show that the colour and contrast in John's pictures is a little intensified. This is a shot with slight overcast (leadsky :D ) Great coloured leather.... If it was only a little less roomy around the middle but they just seemed to add a couple of inches to the chest and kept the lengths the same as they went up above 44....
P4050104.jpg

shanghai joe

better duck said:
Andrew,

good point.........go forth be fruitful and multiply