• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Perry" on Ebay USA

Andrew

It looks like there's something going on with it. Here's a closeup shot JC took of the label in mine (note you can just see the remains of the black size tag) and it only has one row of stitching.

label.jpg

Here's one of the pocket to compare- there's no similarity at all.

pocket.jpg

John takes beautiful pictures.

John Johnson who painted my GW USL was in the 449th- i'll drop him a line to see if he has anything to say about the Col. What provenance is there to connect him to this jacket?

taikonaut

Roughwear said:
taikonaut said:
One of my 2 Perrys has pointy pockets both were 16175. With A2s anything is possible.

But does it have bevelled cornered pockets?

Not bevelled cornered, it is typical Perry but it has pointy pocket cover.

That jacket on ebay, I wonder if the tag was sewn in at the army repair workshop as a replacement or accidentally when it was brought in for repair?

Grant

During the war some jacket makers also restored used jackets by re-dying them, replacing liners, knits and zips. This jacket looks like it was at least re-dyed. My guess is it was done by the folks in Newburgh and re-issued after 1947, possibly for the Korea (looks like the stamp in the lining and decal on the sleeve say US AIR FORCE). Again, just a guess!

Grant

taikonaut

Grant said:
During the war some jacket makers also restored used jackets by re-dying them, replacing liners, knits and zips. This jacket looks like it was at least re-dyed. My guess is it was done by the folks in Newburgh and re-issued after 1947, possibly for the Korea (looks like the stamp in the lining and decal on the sleeve say US AIR FORCE). Again, just a guess!

Grant
Does decal with "US Air Force" indicate postwar possibly Korea?

Peter Graham

taikonaut said:
Does decal with "US Air Force" indicate postwar possibly Korea?
The US Army Airforce existed from 1941 to 1947 after which it became independent from the Army and the name was changed to US Airforce. WW2 jackets and equipment are often seen with the US Airforce stamp which probably means they were re-issued for the Korean conflict. The jacket in question does indeed have a US Airforce decal and liner stamp.