• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Perry A-2 In Goat

Roughwear

bazelot said:
Looks like it has dry rot all over.

Maybe that is why it was returned to the seller. There seems to be less interest in it this time round as well. The dry rot may be the reason for this, which is apparent in the new pics.

mazeta

Let's set a few things straight right now...

...in case any of those who doubt this jacket (and yet didn't bother to email me for clarification) suddenly decide to bid on it at the last second:
1. This one apparently "sold" a few weeks ago. Deal must have fallen through.
Wrong. This is another jacket. I have multiple examples of this contract. The other jacket was from the same contract, completely restored by Aero. It was sold and shipped off a few weeks ago.
2. Looks like it has dry rot all over.
No rot all over it. The jacket is still perfectly wearable.
3. Maybe that is why it was returned to the seller. There seems to be less interest in it this time round as well. The dry rot may be the reason for this, which is apparent in the new pics.
If you have questions about the jacket, please email me; don't guess when you don't have facts to work with.
If you're still guessing: I'm the seller of this jacket.

Roughwear

Re: Let's set a few things straight right now...

mazeta said:
...in case any of those who doubt this jacket (and yet didn't bother to email me for clarification) suddenly decide to bid on it at the last second:
Wrong. This is another jacket. I have multiple examples of this contract. The other jacket was from the same contract, completely restored by Aero. It was sold and shipped off a few weeks ago.
3. Maybe that is why it was returned to the seller. There seems to be less interest in it this time round as well. The dry rot may be the reason for this, which is apparent in the new pics.
If you have questions about the jacket, please email me; don't guess when you don't have facts to work with.

My most sincere apologies. Thanks for putting us straight on this one. It is somewhat unusual for the same seller to advertsie two Perrys from the same contract on ebay in the space of a few weeks. I guess what looked liked rot is the original layer showing through the later redye. Good luck with it.

shanghai joe

aaaaaah mazeta, welcome!

you can never knows what it feels unless you've walked in my shoes:bronco, spiewark, du bow groupo..........

bseal

mazeta said:

:lol: Feels good to be loved, now don't it.

Jason

This is a bit of an unusual Perry - rarer than others - for a few reasons:
Its goatskin - which makes it quite rare, I'd guess only about 1 in 4 Perrys were goatskin
It has a nickel Conmar zipper - most had brass from what I can tell. Even rarer was the use of a Crown (and I've only seen those on goatskin Perrys)
and the collar looks quite large for a Perry - undoubtedly still Perry, but unusual for one none the less.

Perhaps these features that are a bit 'out of the norm' for a Perry is holding back initial interest? Then again, these same features of rarity could see it do unexpectedly well at the end of the auction.

mazeta

Roughwear said:
mazeta said:

My most sincere apologies. Thanks for putting us straight on this one. It is somewhat unusual for the same seller to advertsie two Perrys from the same contract on eBay in the space of a few weeks. I guess what looked liked rot is the original layer showing through the later redye. Good luck with it.
No worries, I can see why the circumstances would look odd. This is my absolute favorite contract, so I've managed to add three examples to my jacket collection. One I sold off (mentioned in my original post), this current one on eBay will go, and I'm keeping the third one, my absolute favorite one for more than one reason.

mazeta

Jason said:
Its goatskin - which makes it quite rare, I'd guess only about 1 in 4 Perrys were goatskin
It has a nickel Conmar zipper - most had brass from what I can tell. Even rarer was the use of a Crown (and I've only seen those on goatskin Perrys)
and the collar looks quite large for a Perry - undoubtedly still Perry, but unusual for one none the less.

Perhaps these features that are a bit 'out of the norm' for a Perry is holding back initial interest? Then again, these same features of rarity could see it do unexpectedly well at the end of the auction.
You bring up a valid point. I received a few questions about the zipper via eBay and I modified the description accordingly. I forgot to mention in the listing that the zipper was replaced at one time. Every goatskin Perry I've owned had a Crown zipper as you pointed out. I also suspected that this jacket could be a 1756 'unknown maker' contract, since it looks so close to a Perry, but I don't think the 1756 was ever made in goat. All examples I've ever seen have been in horsehide.

shanghai joe

mazeta said:
Jason said:

You bring up a valid point. I received a few questions about the zipper via eBay and I modified the description accordingly. I forgot to mention in the listing that the zipper was replaced at one time. Every goatskin Perry I've owned had a Crown zipper as you pointed out. I also suspected that this jacket could be a 1756 'unknown maker' contract, since it looks so close to a Perry, but I don't think the 1756 was ever made in goat. All examples I've ever seen have been in horsehide.

the 1756 comes in really small sizes from what I know.

bazelot

bseal said:
Too bad it has that "dry rot," the :oops: experts talk about.

Yup it's too bad!!
I own a lot of goatskin jackets (most of them USN) This orange crazing all over the jacket does not look like a healthy sign. It is not part of the healthy goatskin pattern. The only time I have seen orange stuff like this on goatskin was dry rot. Maybe it's the pictures or some crappy conditioner.

Roughwear

As far as I know the Perry W535ac23377 contract jackets were all made of goatskin. The one I sold recently had an almost identical Conmar zip, which was original to the jacket. Similarly my size 44 horse hide Perry from the 42-16175-P contract has a Conmar zipper.

taikonaut

bazelot said:
bseal said:
Too bad it has that "dry rot," the :oops: experts talk about.

Yup it's too bad!!
I own a lot of goatskin jackets (most of them USN) This orange crazing all over the jacket does not look like a healthy sign. It is not part of the healthy goatskin pattern. The only time I have seen orange stuff like this on goatskin was dry rot. Maybe it's the pictures or some crappy conditioner.

Or that it was re dyed during the war and the original dye is showing through?