• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PERIOD WORN M-422 SWITLIK IMAGE

Lorenzo_l

Hi All,

Another VPB-135 air crew pic taken on Attu. Note the Victory pistols.

View attachment 100417

Edelle's Victory he carried on Attu.

View attachment 100419
Only 5% of the Victory revolvers were marked with USN and Eddele's revolver is marked USN.
View attachment 100421

According to Pat the USN issued the Victory for all USN flight crews. However, while on Attu they shared the base with the USAA. Aparently they often traded for flight gear and firearms.

Cheers, Dave
Awesome crew portrait right by that PV-1!

Thomas Koehle

I can think of a few. ;)

The story of my '44 Garand is that it was traded to a sailor from a Marine on his final extraction from some island.

I don't know what the sailor offered in barter, but he smuggled the M-1 home to Kenosha, WI and now it's in my possession.

I wonder if the manifest is still short one M-1 -- or Victory .38? ;)

I‘ve always be interested in shooting the Garand. Had a chance to try a 1928 Thommy before and also a 30M1 but not the Garand

Chandler

I‘ve always be interested in shooting the Garand. Had a chance to try a 1928 Thommy before and also a 30M1 but not the Garand
Not as much kick as an '03-A3, thanks to that semi-auto. Still...

I've fired a full-auto M-1 Tommy (the usual war model) and thought it was a pretty easy kick.

I have a semi-auto Tommy I'm in the process of selling to a friend. No kick because of the weight and pretty accurate.

Chandler

...and also a 30M1...
Guessing you mean an M-1 Carbine?

Talk about no kick at all. I have one of those too. WW2 manufacture, but rebuilt with new rear sites and bayonet lug post-war.

Had some fun shooting it, but it wasn't a favorite.

The Illinois legislature is trying to make it illegal now, so I'm not sure what I'll do with it. :confused:

Sideslip

The Garand and M-14 are rifles which I would very much like to try, especially the Garand. My cousin's grandfather was from Normandy and my cousin has collected many inheritance pieces which his grandfather acquired and miraculously unearthed so to speak after the war... I managed to nibble on all the other countries, Mauser (Germany and Czech versions '98), the fallschirmjager 43, Springfield 1903, Moisin Nagant, Lee-Enfield No1 and No4 and once, an MP-40 (in woods, far away from people in full auto...) but the Garand is one which eludes me. Seems to be very stable (not as much kick?).

Maverickson

Hi All,

Thought to add some images of Edelle's survival knife that I received along with his Switlik M-422 jacket. As explained to me from Edelle's kinfolk, gifted to him by his crew and favored over his USN issue.

As seen on Attu with his crew.
1177996703_PersonalKnife.jpg.8b46b0419968815597450228c82fbcfb.jpg

A close up of Edelle's knife.
17105855888004348936563746556128.jpg

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

Maverickson

It’s much better than the issue one.

Seeing is believing. I would not have thought it possible Eddelle carried that same atypical knife during the Aleutian Campaign had that period picture not existed.

Likewise me saving a period picture (seen below) of what I thought might include one of those more elusive Switlik M-422 jackets.Then years later locating and then receiving that same jacket along with a wealth of associated items.

438244252_WW--2VP-135Crew(1).jpg.ce72ac93aa0422b72ddc3eed982e8924.jpg

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

B-Man2

Dave
Great history and great photos. That jacket and knife are priceless . I just have to tell you that the guy on the bottom right kneeling in this photo reminds me of one of the “Bowery Boys” Huntz Hall. Most of the younger guys won’t know who I’m talking about so I included his photo below .
IMG_2919.jpeg
IMG_2920.png
IMG_2921.jpeg

Shanghai-Mayne

Seeing is believing. I would not have thought it possible Eddelle carried that same atypical knife during the Aleutian Campaign had that period picture not existed.

Likewise me saving a period picture (seen below) of what I thought might include one of those more elusive Switlik M-422 jackets.Then years later locating and then receiving that same jacket along with a wealth of associated items.

View attachment 142021

Cheers, Dave
No matter how much $ it cost, that experience is priceless.