• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pecards !!!

John Lever

How do I get this muck off ??
It's left a grey layer on a shearling jacket. I have scrubbed it with soap but some of it remains.
Has anyone tried white spirit/paint thinner ?
It's good to remember that the outer of sheepskin is not leather, it's acrylic and can't be conditioned easily. The jacket in question came to me like this, looks like it's an old coating.

Mac

John,

I remembered reading this on the indy forum, so I went back to check. Here's the suggestion:

"The good thing about Pecards is you DO hit oversaturation, all you have to do is hold a hair dryer over the area and liquify the product, then wipe it off with a clean cotton rag."

I'd bet the writer wasn't referring to an acrylic-coated jacket, so I don't know effect a hair dryer would have on the coating.

Mac

John Lever

Thanks,
I have tried that already. The film is grey and quite tough to shift. The scrubbing with dilute washing up liquid removed some of it. I think I may have cracked it by using Orange Glo, a citrus based wax remover.
Here's hoping that it's gone.

PuLpO

I remeber that we have this orange cleaner in our Labs.

Thx for help i went out and buy an new one we have same products here in Germany.

Stephan

duwan34

The Pecard miracle on my Irvin :

Simply incredible, it's an other jacket !!!

pecard1.jpg

pecard2.jpg

pecard3.jpg

Garylafortuna

Some while ago I spoke with someone at Pecards. Upon asking the same question, I was told that whatever the application indicated, the product is the same.

Silver Surfer

neutral paint thinner [not turps] liberally applied to an old towel. it breaks down the goop, and will not stain. it evaporates evenly and the tell tale aroma goes away almost instantly.

KariJ

Nitromors removes everything but might be a little bit rough stuff. I use those and Bräkleen to remove old lacquer paint tar and Cosmoline from rifle stocks weapon parts and gear like slings

Micawber

Nitromoors paint stripper? If it's the same stuff I know and used to strip auto paintwork etc I wouldn't like to use that on any leather jackets of mine. Pecards is petroleum based so a whole range of the more gentle spirit based [as Vic says paint thinner] will shift it. Don't use Acetone, cellulose thinners or other next step up solvents of that ilk, unless you want to strip the finish and dye off the leather too.

robrinay

Nitromors in the UK is safer than it used to be now they’ve stopped using Methylene Chloride in it but I still wouldn’t put it on leather as it’s still a really powerful solvent and would strip out any fats and oils not just the surface coating.

Garylafortuna

This may not be a proper analogy John. You mentioned that you did use soap which is probably safer than some of the chemicals suggested here. In the automotive world in order to remove wax from your car you need to use 'Dawn' liquid detergent. Not sure why exactly but it may be because of its high alkalinity which enables it to dissolve wax and grease. Hope you find a solution.

KariJ

As I said It is rough stuff and it even strips off Soviet "dyes" from textiles and webbing. A slightly more getle stuff is brand name "Bräkleen = break disk cleaner" I would not spray neither of this stuff directly to any leather product, but I have managet to clean and remove gunk and residue even from leather products just spraying those chemicals in microfiber cloth, letting it to evaporate a bit and then wiping without harsh rubbing. Knowing the actual purpose of these compounds is somewhere else.
Mostly I have been using those to remove stains from "kiväärintukkiöljy etc". A preserving compound applied to rifle stocks https://img.aijaa.com/b/00420/14085172.jpg And no, it does not contain tar, it contains bitum, boiled linseed oil, turpentine and probably some bees wax. NM and BK works well with slings gloves etc and also with cotton bags. I have once used it also with an old leather jacked I managed to get stained when painting a rusty car. Stains were remowed, but also leather was really "dry". This is only for consideration if no other means work. (now that normal clausule I am not in.....)

Last edited:

KariJ

Nitromors in the UK is safer than it used to be now they’ve stopped using Methylene Chloride in it but I still wouldn’t put it on leather as it’s still a really powerful solvent and would strip out any fats and oils not just the surface coating.
If I remember correctly Sir Ken also mentioned somewhere he has been using Nitromors for some certain purposes. I agree with that, the old one was more affective, as was Brown Lysol and Brown Dettol

Skyhawk

Oh the white residue... yes a big drawback with Pecard especially when it was over applied. One of the many reasons I use Renepur. Not on Shearling though!

The hair dryer method has worked for me. Also Lexol leather cleaner can remove it, and works best with very warm water. Plus it is PH balanced and won't harm leather. It seems to cause corrosion on metal though, so avoid those parts.