• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pecards?, Vaseline?, Give Black Rock a Try.

B-Man2

So todays been a boring day. Finished all of the “Honey Do’s “ ( You know … “honey do this and honey do that”) so I decided to do a little jacket maintenance in preparation for the jacket season down here in Florida. ( All 4 weeks of it :confused:). There’s been a product I’ve been using for years on my leather boots, leather knife handles, and leather holsters. The product is called “Black Rock Leather N Rich”. For some reason I never thought to give it a try on a leather jacket. I guess I just became a creature of habit and continued to use Pecards and Vaseline. So in my moment of boredom I decided to give it a try on one of my everyday wearers ( read that as 4 or 5 times a year down here:rolleyes:). Well here are the before and after photos . Keep in mind I only did the collar, the epaulet and the left chest and stopped at the top of the left pocket flap. So you can see the differences in both photos .
BEFORE:
24964F20-E04A-439D-8D02-94225E313671.jpeg

AFTER:

7832D797-2563-4A58-B6BB-3A263AA92439.jpeg

So there you have it. You can make up you own mind . Here’s the product .
FAD4F635-0203-4A58-8AC0-AFE298492542.jpeg
EB17EA6B-4A2D-497D-B3F3-AA701259C464.jpeg

Thanks for your time . :)

Last edited:

coolhandluke

Gotta know what the watch is!

Nothing special, just a brown dial Citizen Calendrier Eco-Drive. I actually just ordered a replacement Horween strap for it earlier today. I'm hoping that it can be outfitted with the deployable clasp from the original Citizen strap.

Chandler

Nothing special, just a brown dial Citizen Calendrier Eco-Drive. I actually just ordered a replacement Horween strap for it earlier today. I'm hoping that it can be outfitted with the deployable clasp from the original Citizen strap.

The strap reminds me of my Red Wing leather strap on my Timex Waterbury Chrono.

Micawber

Crikey, Amazon UK lists that stuff at 53 quid for a 100ml jar! I know the £/$ exchange rate is abysmal at the moment but what is actually in the jar Burt? :)

Smithy

Nice job on the jacket and gloves. That Black Rock stuff looks excellent!

TBH I think people get a bit hysterical over Pecards. It's not the only decent leather conditioner. As I've mentioned before I've been using RM Williams Saddle and Leather Dressing for decades and it's terrific on jackets, boots, bags, horse tack. Doesn't go rancid either. I know Paddy Milddleton also swears by it on original and repro jackets.

B-Man2

Crikey, Amazon UK lists that stuff at 53 quid for a 100ml jar! I know the £/$ exchange rate is abysmal at the moment but what is actually in the jar Burt? :)
Steve
I don’t know I’ve photoed both front and back labels on the jar, and that’s all the info available . I’m thinking it’s some kind of proprietary formula. It’s much cheaper on Amazon US see below
24E87692-F424-498B-8DBE-6E5AE2E24307.png

B-Man2

So it’s 24 hours later and I finished the entire jacket and gave the Black Rock time to be absorbed into the leather and it looks great . The only issued with it is that the jacket feels tacky. What wasn’t absorbed into the leather has left a tacky feel to the surface. I may have used too much dressing or that might just be the end result. Cool Hand Luke have you had the same results on your baseball gloves ?
Posted below once again are the before and after photos .
BEFORE
80079CB5-7B7F-43E7-A714-25DD017A64D8.jpeg

AFTER
0F48072E-3626-4861-8A6A-76B00F884F33.jpeg

MikeyB-17

If you overdo the Pecard’s it can leave a bit of a residue. Unless you’ve gone completely overboard, a decent wipe with a cloth usually sorts it. Tried that Burt?
It’s true, back along Pecard’s was regarded as the be-all and end-all of leather treatments, but there’s plenty of others to be had. I’m still using it because I’ve got a bleeding great tub of it to finish off, but after it’s gone I may well just hit the Vaseline (actually that doesn’t sound too good does it? :D)

B-Man2

If you overdo the Pecard’s it can leave a bit of a residue. Unless you’ve gone completely overboard, a decent wipe with a cloth usually sorts it. Tried that Burt?
It’s true, back along Pecard’s was regarded as the be-all and end-all of leather treatments, but there’s plenty of others to be had. I’m still using it because I’ve got a bleeding great tub of it to finish off, but after it’s gone I may well just hit the Vaseline (actually that doesn’t sound too good does it? :D)
Mikey
Having used Pecards in the past I knew that I had to use this stuff sparingly and the directions state “use it sparingly “ so I applied it using just my fingertips. I’ll take a rag and go back over it and see if I can reduce that tacky feel .

coolhandluke

So it’s 24 hours later and I finished the entire jacket and gave the Black Rock time to be absorbed into the leather and it looks great . The only issued with it is that the jacket feels tacky. What wasn’t absorbed into the leather has left a tacky feel to the surface. I may have used too much dressing or that might just be the end result. Cool Hand Luke have you had the same results on your baseball gloves ?
Posted below once again are the before and after photos .
BEFORE
View attachment 84224

AFTER
View attachment 84225

Burt, you really have to wipe down the excess thoroughly, allow it to dry, and then buff with a horsehide brush. After doing so, the surface will feel silky smooth, no greasy residue whatsoever. There is wax in the formula, so the dry time and buffing is important. Applying with a shoe polish dauber brush really seems to help as well.

I've used Black Rock on my Norshor Dubow and original Cable A2 and they have zero residue on either jacket.

B-Man2

Burt, you really have to wipe down the excess thoroughly, allow it to dry, and then buff with a horsehide brush. After doing so, the surface will feel silky smooth, no greasy residue whatsoever. Their is wax in the formula, so the dry time and buffing is important. Applying with a shoe polish dauber brush really seems to help as well.

I've used Black Rock on my Norshor Dubow and original Cable A2 and they have zero residue on either jacket.
CHL
Thanks so much . I’ll work on that. Great Info for anyone who’d like to try this product . It does make the jacket look good .