• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pecards or ELC's?

ButteMT61

One thing to consider in buying a treatment from a company (ELC, as an example) that offer such things as an accessory is that more often than not, it's just a re-branded product from someone who really specializes in this.
Many items are like this from leather treatments to auto tires. If you get something from someone and the company isn't in the business of making such things, I'd stick with someone like Pecard's or Lexol, etc.
You may be able to find out who makes it, but why not get what you can verify and has a reputation?

Spitfireace

One thing to consider in buying a treatment from a company (ELC, as an example) that offer such things as an accessory is that more often than not, it's just a re-branded product from someone who really specializes in this.
Many items are like this from leather treatments to auto tires. If you get something from someone and the company isn't in the business of making such things, I'd stick with someone like Pecard's or Lexol, etc.
You may be able to find out who makes it, but why not get what you can verify and has a reputation?
We don't get Pecard and Lexol seems to be expensive here in Canada for some reason. I looked on Amazon and it was about fifty dollars for a 1.36 litre or something. But that would last a while I imagine. I usually am able to get Fiebings Golden Mink Oil paste. Which as far as I can see has little to absolutely no mink oil. Ingredients are lanolin, glycerine, and vitamin E. Cheap and works pretty well, but is a paste. I mention the Lexol as an alternative to paste, because the guy I was talking to showed me a vintage shearling that someone had way over applied paste and it soaked the leather and turned it into a wet rag which tore very easily. Ruined the jacket.

ButteMT61

Correction, Fiebings is made from silicone, lanolin, and vitamin E oil.
I have some of their stuff. I think a family-owned biz that specializes in this stuff as well. I probably have 4-6 diff brands of grease/oils from these types of companies for boots, jackets, etc.
If you need a proxy for Pecard's, let me know. I'd be happy to help if I can.

mazeta

I used Pecard’s for years, until I discovered Blackrock. Pecard’s works but Blackrock isn’t as ‘goopy’ and it gets eaten up by the jacket / shoe with almost no residue. Beeswax based too.

Edward

I use Renapur Leather Balsam.
natural, non-abrasive and harmless ingredients including Beeswax, Carnauba wax, Jojoba oil and Avocado oil. you can get it in the UK and in the US.

there is a warning that says Do not use on suede, nubuck or fully aniline type leather.
I have had no issue with it on my A-2 jacket nor have others in the fedora lounge forums that also used it on their ELC and other A-2 jackets. I don't know if our repro A-2 are FULLY aniline but it hasn't affected or darkened my jacket in any way.

https://www.renapur.com/renapur-leather-balsam-200ml

https://www.amazon.com/Renapur-Leather-Balsam-Fl-oz-Conditioner/dp/B005EBNZTI

Renapur Ltd, East Wolves, London Road, Ashington, West Sussex, RH20 3AX, UK
Tel: +44 1903 893990 Fax: +44 1903 891418 Email:[email protected]

Last edited:

Dr H

I tend to use either this Gliptone product for cleaning/reconditioning where the leather is soiled and/or dry. Pecard’s for general use/water proofing.
79A4AE06-CCC9-47AE-ABB2-C6B3069E2C4D.jpeg

I’ve just used Pecard’s on my FW Brakeman and it’s much more supple and richer in colour as a result (see before, top; after bottom).
EBBD9C32-9C00-4501-88B0-D0C7623861F0.jpeg

A74C232B-F204-4CA2-BFC8-EE7F6579B554.jpeg

The weather has just turned here (thankfully) so much cooler and wetter. I was able to wear my Journeyman yesterday so treated this to a light coat of Pecard’s too. It’s much newer so didn’t really need conditioning, but it’s softer and more water repellent as a result.
An additional benefit is that the high gloss finish has been reduced/softened to a warmer sheen- much more to my liking.

jeremiah

I feel that in the end, there are so many different products out there all claiming to do the same thing, so making sure one gets the right one for their needs is key. i.e., if you have a lighter colored leather, choosing one which is said not to darken. Sometimes even though it says this, it WILL tend to darken some, but usually this lightens up in color as time goes on and those oils/lotions sink into the fibers more.
In any regard, I have also read and been told that leather does not need us constantly worrying about it. I guess there has to be a line between where we want to feed the leather a bit after having spent a lot of money on it, but at the same time, we don't want to introduce harmful lotions/oils that would lead to unwanted results down the road. Its a crapshoot in the end really though.
See, some of these products have not been around for 70-80 years so we don't really know what the longterm results will be of us feeding out jackets with those products. Anyway, I like seeing all the different products up here. Me, I went ahead and got some of Eastman Leather Company's liquid leather. It does not darken, it does not leave any oily or tacky residue and it smells very nice. Seems to do what they claim in the short game at least. Time will tell for the long-haul.

Gentlemen, Feed your leather at your own risk. ha..

ButteMT61

It's like shining shoes/boots to me. I just enjoy doing it. I have finite time on this rock, and frankly, leather wear, while practical, is also my hobby. I have tried so many products and most of them are very good to excellent. I mostly cater to family-owned and/or run businesses that have been around a while. All things being equal, I'd rather support smaller enterprise and yes, I'm sure someone will gripe about all of my over-treating everything long after I'm dead :p

zoomer

Pecard now says only to use their Leather Conditioner on oil tanned leather. Is it safe for vegetable tanned? Has the formula been changed?

zoomer

Good news. By oil tanned Pecard also means veg tanned...AND chrome tanned...AND other tannings...as long as it’s not finished with acrylics or paints! Those will not absorb the dressings.

The product guide is available by email if you’re curious about Pecard products.

jeremiah

I have yet to meet a well oil tanned piece of leather that needs conditioner.
Here is a wallet I made myself out of sunset oil tanned leather years ago. Only conditioner it has had is my sweat along with the times I have got it Sopping wet.
8DF39247-B302-4E3F-B736-A55E5E612A5E.jpeg

zoomer

well...the tanner's art is arcane and has a tradition of secrecy...which the Pecard people seemingly go a little ways to maintain.

taikonaut

I've been using the lotion form Eastman recently on one of their goatskin jacket and followed the instruction, applied it once every 24hrs for 3 coat. It is taking a long time to dry. After 4 days since the last coat it still feel quite sticky. It is drying but I have feeling it might take a few weeks rather then days. Is this normal?

B-Man2

Sounds like a lot of product on that jacket.
Sometimes it’s better to use small amounts and let it set in for few days. I would disregard those instructions and go with a light coat .